Author Topic: Where for web hosting?  (Read 375 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Where for web hosting?
« on: March 12, 2022, 06:33:24 PM »
I've got a couple or three domains that I want to move off the GoDaddy system. I'll need at least one email account. This is basically just a paid backup to my gmail account.

Any suggestions?
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Where for web hosting?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 07:10:23 PM »
Siteground or Bluehost.  Used 1&1 many years ago.  They were pretty good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 08:35:36 PM »
UPDATED :old:

I've been on Omnis.com for decades now and have no plans to move. They handle my websites, online store, 4 or 5 domains and a TON of email address (email servers) for < $6.95/month!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:42:52 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 09:48:12 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »
Back around 2008 or so, I was doing a lot of "on demand" printing type stuff... Large format, banners, magnets, bumperstickers, etc... I had around 100+ domains with Godaddy...

Jen insisted that the printing, and especially bumperstickers, would never take off, and that I should do 100% toward the nursing training company... So, it all got neglected/reverted... And when I bugged out, she and her sister convinced Godaddy to release the training domains to them... Whatever... Jen's dead now - that's what happens to addicts - and the training company was toast within a quarter or two of me leaving.

Whatever.

Now I have three domains. Pixtiva, ThirdRatePundit, and one that I don't remember right now... I mostly just want email that I can use. And Godaddy has switched to Microsoft 365, and I'm running Unix at the house, and I don't want to screw with running windoze in a window...

Need is mostly just for email... Thanks for the leads.

And just got called from work. Gotta do a double because people not showing up.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 09:52:45 AM »
Name.com is another all in one for domain+ email.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 01:11:56 PM »
Name.com is another all in one for domain+ email.

Awhile back I looked at Name.com, following Ben's recommendation.

Bottom line: I'm pretty certain (like personally I'm about 98.75% certain) that Name.com (and several of the other hosting services in that price range) is located in Russia. When I contacted them with questions, the people who answered ALL had Russian names. There was always a time lag -- because Russia was asleep when I was awake and posting. All tech support is by e-mail.

The reason I like Vertbiz is that I know for a fact they are located in Dallas, Texas. The owner's name is Chris Gebhart, and I have exchanged e-mails with him directly. Tech support is by telephone. I'm willing to pay a couple of bux more per month to avoid hosting my data in Russia, and to be able to pick up the phone and talk to someone who speaks English when (not if) I screw something up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design