Author Topic: Well, my 0.5G phone is still working.  (Read 751 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Well, my 0.5G phone is still working.
« on: April 10, 2022, 05:47:06 AM »
I got an "updated" phone for free from AARP/Consumer Cellular but my old Motorola WX416 phone from February 2013 is still doing just dandy

I understand from some newscasts they've been having trouble with some recent, but not new, models of cars where safety "stuff" is not working any more under the new latest and greatest whizbang 4G and 5G protocols.

Gee, you'd think the whizbang kids would have thought that out in advance.

I can see lawyer ads now... "Have you or a loved one had an accident because the older safety  features on your car no longer worked?  Call Fivegee and Fourgee attorneys now.  You may be entitled to substantail compensation !"

Oh, gee Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Well, my 0.5G phone is still working.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 06:46:56 AM »
Seren's location tracker stopped working in February because AT&T retired their 3G network.

I had to get her a new tracker.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 07:09:18 AM »
Telementry/Onstar type stuff should be the only thing affected not true safety stuff. Also mobile internet hotspots built in (my truck has one but not active because I’m not paying $60/month for my truck to have internet). Stuff under active subscription will probably get updated.

We changed our telemetry stuff at work over to GPS/satellite several years ago it was 2G/3G when I started
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 12:35:57 AM »
Sooo, how much will it cost everybody when they move to 6G?

Advancing technology always costs.  You'd almost think someone is planning it that way.

Nahhhhh. 

>:D   =D

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 12:53:05 AM by 230RN »

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 01:02:09 AM »
A buddy at Lake of the Ozarks has finally given up his Motorola flip phone.
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 04:52:01 AM »
I'm at 4G and have NO reason to "upgrade". 99% of my data is over WiFi anyway.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 07:39:11 AM »
I'm at 4G and have NO reason to "upgrade". 99% of my data is over WiFi anyway.

Same on the 4G. I'm not in the vicinity of cities often enough to make the upgrade worthwhile. I'm on a 5gig/mo data plan, which I was banging against from listening to music when out in the pastures and outside my wi-fi range. A few months ago though, Verizon just started giving me a "bonus" 999gig/mo for free. Now I have tons of data, and nothing that I do on the phone would be done better on 5G.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 07:43:43 AM »
I upgraded to a 5G phone when I went from Verizon to AT&T service when I started working for AT&T in 202.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 07:54:09 AM »
I upgraded to a 5G phone when I went from Verizon to AT&T service when I started working for AT&T in 202.

We knew you were old, but we sure didn't know they had 5G back then.  I got a new-to-me Motorola G7 Power phone when my wife and I moved to Old Folks Consumer Cellular a few years ago.  It's old enough now that it's not getting any more OS updates, however.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 07:58:46 AM »
I was really on the fence, wondering if 5G was going to be worth it, but after the Battle of Zarma it made ordering pizza for the Legion so much easier...

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 08:00:38 AM »
I was really on the fence, wondering if 5G was going to be worth it, but after the Battle of Zarma it made ordering pizza for the Legion so much easier...

Ah, now that makes sense.  Good justification for the new phone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 12:25:23 PM »
My home internet is T-Mobile's 5G router tower...

Overall, liking it.

I need to dig into things to be able to use the Geeni wifi stuff... I bought a test "outlet switch" last week, and it doesn't want to pair.

Cut the phone plan from $60 for 30 gigs down to $35 for 10, and won't come near using that.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 01:51:14 PM »
I spent weeks arguing with Boost Mobile about my old Motorola phone.  They said it was not compatible with their new network and I needed to buy a new phone.  I did a little research and figured it would be compatible with a new SIM card.  I wouldn't get 5G, but it would connect to the 5G towers using 4G LTE, and I really don't use that much data.  (the phone itself seems to use a good bit of data by itself, probably spying on me, when I'm off the wifi)  I finally got thru to someone at Boost who agreed that a new SIM card should work and was worth a try.  They sent me a free card and it has been working just fine. 

They are still trying to get me to buy a new phone; now it's because I deserve it rather than because their network requires it.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 11:52:07 PM »
I spent weeks arguing with Boost Mobile about my old Motorola phone.  They said it was not compatible with their new network and I needed to buy a new phone.  I did a little research and figured it would be compatible with a new SIM card.  I wouldn't get 5G, but it would connect to the 5G towers using 4G LTE, and I really don't use that much data.  (the phone itself seems to use a good bit of data by itself, probably spying on me, when I'm off the wifi)  I finally got thru to someone at Boost who agreed that a new SIM card should work and was worth a try.  They sent me a free card and it has been working just fine. 

They are still trying to get me to buy a new phone; now it's because I deserve it rather than because their network requires it.

I had the same argument for about the same amount of time.  Consumer Cellular, through AARP, finally sent me a new phone for free, but I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

Interesting, because I got two stories from experts on my 2013 Motorola WX416 phone  -- it would work on 4G and it would not work on 4G. Interesting that they sent a new SIM to you.  What was your phone and who sent the new SIM so I can maybe use the same ploy with CC ?

Call it geriatric paranoia, call it extensive life experience, but I still think 90% of "New and Improved" involves "will it let us pry more money out of their wallets?"

"Their," meaning thee and me and thine and mine personal wallets.

:old:

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:12:53 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2022, 07:02:46 AM »
AT&T is pushing offers for an upgrade to a Samsung S22...

Given my employee discounts, I'm tempted. Very tempted.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 09:06:33 AM »
I had the same argument for about the same amount of time.  Consumer Cellular, through AARP, finally sent me a new phone for free, but I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

Interesting, because I got two stories from experts on my 2013 Motorola WX416 phone  -- it would work on 4G and it would not work on 4G. Interesting that they sent a new SIM to you.  What was your phone and who sent the new SIM so I can maybe use the same ploy with CC ?

Call it geriatric paranoia, call it extensive life experience, but I still think 90% of "New and Improved" involves "will it let us pry more money out of their wallets?"

"Their," meaning thee and me and thine and mine personal wallets.

:old:

Terry, 230RN

It's a Moto E6.  (E probably stands for Economy)  Boost Mobile -- used to be Virgin Mobile -- is the one that was arguing back and forth that my phone wasn't supported because it was more than a year old, and if I was happy with my 4G LTE service I didn't have to do anything (neither of which is true, although I didn't test the don't-do-anything theory)  I went to their Facebook page and complained, and someone from Boost said to send them a PM.  I did, they gave me a different toll-free number to call, and the technician actually listened to me.  He sent me a SIM card in the mail, I installed it and reactivated the phone, and it works great.  I even have service now some places out in the boonies where I didn't before.
"It's good, though..."