Author Topic: Vacuum sealer bags, something cheaper than FoodSaver?  (Read 510 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Vacuum sealer bags, something cheaper than FoodSaver?
« on: April 14, 2022, 10:32:37 AM »
Dug out the FoodSaver that SWMBO and her late hubby used. She thought something might be wrong with it but it seems fine. A vintage Compact II that is more than twenty years old but it cleaned up nicely. Other than the usual slight discoloration on the heating strip, it looks brand new. Seal is even in good shape, though I ordered a pair of replacements just in case.

Looking at bags and damn is FoodSaver proud of theirs. At roughly a buck a foot that pretty much wipes out any kind of savings you might get from buying in bulk and parceling it out. Any brand of bags that works just as well, only not as expensive?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Vacuum sealer bags, something cheaper than FoodSaver?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 06:54:02 PM »
Interestingly, it appears vacuum bags are being affected by the supply shortages from what I have read. I saw Costco is out of stock on them right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 09:46:42 AM »
Machine is way more expensive but the bags for chamber vacuum sealers are usually a lot less expensive than suction type bags.

That said I’m done with vacuum sealers.  A plastic bag or wrap, and freezer paper works better, is more reliable/durable, and takes up less freezer space.  And it’s one less kitchen gadget taking up space until it breaks.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 10:05:05 AM »
Machine is way more expensive but the bags for chamber vacuum sealers are usually a lot less expensive than suction type bags.

That said I’m done with vacuum sealers.  A plastic bag or wrap, and freezer paper works better, is more reliable/durable, and takes up less freezer space.  And it’s one less kitchen gadget taking up space until it breaks.

Now that you say that I haven't vacuumed sealed any food in a few years, I do then freezer paper wrap for all my game and bags for fish.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 10:26:19 AM »
I use my vacuum sealer a fair amount, actually.

I'll buy bulk chicken breasts and thighs or ground turkey and vacuum seal those. I also vac seal sliced beets that I intend to use for borscht.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 10:27:07 AM »
I buy the rolls from cabelas and cut to size. (The boxed rolls have built in cutters). Have been very happy with them and much cheaper.
What we have here is failure to communicate.