Author Topic: Considering a full size 9mm...  (Read 1743 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Considering a full size 9mm...
« on: April 14, 2022, 11:42:00 PM »
...and I'm probably going to get a Glock 17...

And likely a 9mm AR lower that takes the same magazines.

Could someone smarter than I am clue me in on the different generations?
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Considering a full size 9mm...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 11:57:49 PM »
https://www.guns.com/news/2019/05/08/glock-gen-3-4-or-5-whats-right-for-me-video

Newer gens are more Ambi, and grips are different.

I'd suggest a Leo trade in Glock 22 from aimsurplus, pmags and a conversion barrel. Cheaper and more ammo options.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 12:27:16 AM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 12:03:39 AM »
So those are .40?

If I go larger, it'll just be .45ACP... Really thinking just 9mm, with gigglesticks for the carbine.
Blog under construction

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 12:17:53 AM »
Get any of them. I am partial to Gen 2s but at some point I need to buy some not 25 year old plastic. Probably a new Gen 3, I despise finger grooves but can shoot them and all my parts are compatible. I know some compatability goes away in Gen 4 &5. Magpul mags are great. I will probably get some more Glock 33rd, but the magpuls have been doing good for me. I want a drum from them but somehow the PCC and handgun drums are not interchangeable. My 80% PCC build has been pretty flawless, just need ammo to go shoot more.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 01:17:57 AM »
If you want to branch out, I hear decent things about PSA's Glock 19 clone.  It is pretty cheap. 

The Glock 22 with 9mm conversion barrel is an idea, but make sure you can get it cheap enough to make it worth it.  Linked below is a G17 for $499 with free shipping.  AIM has the used 40 cal pistol for $350.  Add shipping and transfer plus the 9mm barrel, is it really a good comparison at that point?  I would go with new provided you can find it closer to $500.

https://dkfirearms.com/product/glock-17-9mm/
https://aimsurplus.com/leo-trade-in-glock-22-gen-3-40s-w-handgun/

I have nothing bad to say about the Glock 17.  Not my favorite, but they have been solid guns for a long time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 04:16:15 AM »
I LOVE my Gen 3 G19, 17s little brother.

I did add a stippled mini beaver-tail to it though

and it lives in this Hogue retention holster.

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 05:46:00 AM »
I've been running a gent G17 at my weekly run and gun for about 7 months.

As a lefty,  I really appreciate the ambi slide release.  The beaver tail is also nice. I have a setup similar to HeroHog's where I cut off and smoothed the factory back strap to just be the beaver tail.

The trigger was Glock factory *expletive deleted*it, and I did replace that.

I actually think the 19x is a slightly handier option, and will be grabbing one of those next week. I would look at that over the 17 if shopping new.

On mags, I have some glock Pmags, and they work OK, but factory Glock mags are cheap enough there's no reason, really,  to get anything  else. Even  the 33 red factory  mags are pretty cheap, and very reliable.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 08:47:23 AM »
Might want to look at the aluminum frame “glock”
RIA STK100. Full size uses glock mags and all parts except frame are interchangeable
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 09:26:29 AM »
I'm still seriously considering a Ruger Security 9 full size.

I can't stand the Glock grip profile, so nothing doing there for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 09:49:55 AM »
I'm not a Glock fanboi, despite coming around to and shooting them a fair amount, but for ~$500, you aren't going to get a better full or mid sized 9 than a Gen 5 G17/19.  different, yes.  Not better.

If you are already leaning towards a Glock, there's not any real reason to shop around.  If you have issues with them, like K frame, then sure one of the many similar polymer pistols will likely work.  But if the block works for you, just get one of them.  There's something to be said for the ease of finding cheap mags, holsters, lights, sights, and anything else you might want.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 09:51:24 AM »
The Gen 1 Glock 17 is VERY susceptible to the so-called "limp wrist failure" - when I gave it to my petite elderly mother to shoot, it usually jammed a couple of times per magazine. She had a good grip, but weak wrists. It worked quite well for me normally, but by holding it loosely with a bent wrist, I could make it jam almost on demand. Using +P ammo helped a little.

My Gen 3 Glock 26 doesn't have this problem - holding it loosely, on its side, upside down, right or left handed - the ONE and ONLY malfunction I've EVER had came from inadvertently touching the slide release during firing - user error.  :facepalm:   A Gen 3 Glock 19 seems to work well, too.

I REALLY wish the gun rags would address "limp wrist" reliability. It seems even more necessary with things like S&W's "EZ" pistol, marketed towards people with limited hand strength.

I'm not fond of the Glock trigger - I'm considering some sort of "optics ready" pistol now that my eyes are aging, and I'm leaning towards something from Springfield Armory with the META trigger or perhaps an S&W M&P, to which I can always add an Apex trigger if so inclined. Reliability is paramount - even with a loose grip.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »
...and I'm probably going to get a Glock 17...

And likely a 9mm AR lower that takes the same magazines.

Could someone smarter than I am clue me in on the different generations?

Here's everybody's favorite gun grandpa discussing the differences: Hickock45: All Five Glock Generations

Pick one.  It probably doesn't matter that much.  My G19 is a late Gen 3, and I never felt any need to upgrade.  Just don't buy a new generation glock first thing out of the gate.

If I go larger, it'll just be .45ACP... Really thinking just 9mm, with gigglesticks for the carbine.

if you're going .45 in a Glock, handle that thing first.  Sucker's got a fat grip.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 11:53:16 AM »
"Sucker's got a fat grip."

That's what she said.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 12:55:46 PM »
If your retired military or LEO you can get a Gen 5 G17 for roughly $425 NIB with 3 mags under the Blue Label program.  Just need to find a Glock LEO dealer.

I can buy 2 Glocks a year under that program and do so just because of the amount I save….lol

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2022, 01:28:03 PM »
I am all filled up on full-size 9 mm pistols, but if I was looking, I would be looking hard at the S&W M&P 2.0.  I am not a fan of the Glock grip profile.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 01:30:56 PM »
Don't forget about the Springfield XD

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 01:59:53 PM »
I am all filled up on full-size 9 mm pistols ...

That's clown talk, Bro!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 02:38:55 PM »
That's clown talk, Bro!

If I wasn't full up, I would have to buy before 1 July 2022, when the Washington state ban on new magazines larger than 10 rounds goes into effect.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 04:05:51 PM »
I'm still seriously considering a Ruger Security 9 full size.

I can't stand the Glock grip profile, so nothing doing there for me.
The STK100 I mentioned has same grip angle as a 1911.
https://www.armscor.com/stk100
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2022, 04:08:19 PM »
If I wasn't full up, I would have to buy before 1 July 2022, when the Washington state ban on new magazines larger than 10 rounds goes into effect.
As long as the magazines aren't dated, who's to say whether or not you filled up on magazines ahead of time - maybe before you even had a gun for them? (I got some Garand clips before I even had a Garand. Ditto FAL mags. And I got some extra Glock mags at a Glock match while my G17 was on order at my dealer.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2022, 04:31:04 PM »
Or maybe online people you know could sell you old magazines.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 05:27:31 PM »
I forget the specific language, but come 1 July, it is illegal to buy, sell, give away, import, or ship these magazines in Washington.  If you already own them, you don't have to register or turn them in. Yet.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 07:27:13 PM by MillCreek »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2022, 06:01:46 PM »
The STK100 I mentioned has same grip angle as a 1911.
https://www.armscor.com/stk100

OK, if they can't get something as simple as their dealer locator to work, I don't have a lot of hope for their handguns...

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2022, 06:20:31 PM »
I've owned many Glocks over the years, in every caliber they're offered except .380 or .357 Sig.  I never cottoned to them, and currently don't own one.  I prefer DA/SA and I've never been able to fall in love with any other design, except my S&W Shield which wins for all of its other features.  That being said, the Glock 22 Gen 2 was my favorite, and pretty much the only one I'd consider buying again.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2022, 11:22:25 PM »
I Open Carried my S&W Model 59 for years and was happy to move to the G19!!!

http://herohog.com/images/guns/S&W_Mod59.jpg
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!