Author Topic: Installing a Monitor in a Shop or Garage?  (Read 1219 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Installing a Monitor in a Shop or Garage?
« on: May 04, 2022, 05:56:28 PM »
Do any of you have a video monitor installed in your shop or garage? I'm thinking of putting something like a 32" screen in the shop and wondering if it would be as useful as I think it would be.

I was assembling a new log splitter this afternoon, and of course the instructions were crap. I found a good youtube video, but man, my old eyes make trying to see details on the phone difficult. If I could beam the video to a bigger monitor, I think that would be ideal. This is far from the first time that I was working on something in the shop and had to find videos to help me. I either end up cussing at the phone image or going in the house, watching there, then trying to remember everything when I'm back in the shop.

I'd just be looking at whatever craptastic Chinese monitor is on sale somewhere, as long as it has the ability to accept phone images. I'm kinda wondering about longevity out in the shop, where on the coldest days it can drop to the high 20s, plus dust and whatnot. I suppose an alternative could be getting some cheap refurb laptop off Woot or something, and letting that live in the shop.

Anyway, if you have something like that setup in your shop, do you find it worthwhile?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Installing a Monitor in a Shop or Garage?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 06:13:44 PM »
Seems like a laptop or tablet could be brought in close next to your project.
I have a 15” monitor on my workbench but I only use it to play free DVD movies from the library.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 06:19:33 PM »
Lots of smart TVs will do Youtube via a wireless connection to your home network.  Or, if you want something a little more flexible, get yourself a Raspberry Pi 400 computer.  It's a 'puter built into a low profile keyboard, dual band AC wireless, USB ports and a 4k HDMI port. It runs a very easy to configure version of Linux.  The last one I worked with had the OS preinstalled on a microSD card.  Very easy to set up.
Drive any TV of your choice with one of those and you're good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 07:47:31 PM »
Using a TV to watch instructional YouTube videos makes sense - 32" smart TVs can be had for under $150.

Just don't get into the habit of watching TV shows when you're doing something critical, like loading ammo or working with sharp tools, when being distracted is a bad idea.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 07:54:42 PM »
I have am old 12" Chrome book that lives on my work bench for exactly this. I use it to read owners manuals, watch instructional videos, and see parts diagrams.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 08:12:36 PM »
I have the big TV in the man cave that I'll watch instrucional videos on when I'm working in there. Nothing in the shop yet, I use my tablet if I need anything  out there.

Is your shop climate controlled?  Temp swings and humidity aren't great for electronics (not that you get real humidity,  but still) I can see how it would be handy though. For as little as those Vizio's cost at Walmart it might be worth experimenting though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 09:19:19 PM »
Is your shop climate controlled?  Temp swings and humidity aren't great for electronics (not that you get real humidity,  but still) I can see how it would be handy though. For as little as those Vizio's cost at Walmart it might be worth experimenting though.

Not really. Yeah humidity is pretty much a non-issue. I just a few months ago had insulated siding installed, but I think it's still going to drop to near freezing next Winter (at night - during the day the torpedo heater gets it above freezing. It can hit the 90s on the hottest days, but averages in the 80s in the Summer.

I need to consider the cheap laptop route as well, I guess. There seem to be plenty of deals on refurb 15-17" laptops. Regarding a comment above about TV shows, I'd only be watching instructional videos or looking stuff up. The laptop keyboard would actually make that easier than typing on the phone. I'm sure I can get one of those keyboard covers mechanics use for when my hands are filthy. Anyway, a dedicated shop laptop is food for thought.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 09:33:33 PM »

I have a 32” TV and a 18” monitor and no issues from a very dusty shop environment. The big screen is amazing for wiring diagrams and parts catalogs. I’ve also used a laptop for years in shop and field work.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 09:36:40 PM »
[img]https://i.ibb.co/gtWyfnr/9-E1237-FA-C96-C-4960-86-F2-94-F35-D5-B3183.jpg

I have a 32” TV and a 18” monitor and no issues from a very dusty shop environment. The big screen is amazing for wiring diagrams and parts catalogs

I was hoping you'd pop into the thread with some real world experience.  =)

It looks like you're not using any kind of keyboard cover (I'm thinking those "fitted" clear plastic thingies). No issues with gunk getting into the keyboard?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 09:55:15 PM »
I was hoping you'd pop into the thread with some real world experience.  =)

It looks like you're not using any kind of keyboard cover (I'm thinking those "fitted" clear plastic thingies). No issues with gunk getting into the keyboard?

No I take a blow gun and blow the dust off keyboard and monitor about once a week. I also wear nitril gloves most of the time also for the dirty stuff and try to keep my hands themselves clean as much as possible

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 07:53:56 AM »
Guy I know has his old 48" TV in his garage workshop. Uses it for stuff like you're talking about and also for entertainment when he's working on something mindless like painting.

As for keyboards, anymore keyboards are an almost disposable item. I've seen full-function keyboards for as cheap at $8.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 08:38:55 AM »
On the laptop side:  The laptop that runs my laser has sat out in my garage for a couple years now next to the lathe and has had no real issues with gunk in keyboards are that kind of thing.  I do have to unplug it when I'm not using it because of heat, but other than that it's fine.  It's a Dell Latitude that was "sorta" rugged back in the day.  Not a Toughbook, but not a desk only laptop.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 09:20:06 AM »
On the laptop side:  The laptop that runs my laser has sat out in my garage for a couple years now next to the lathe and has had no real issues with gunk in keyboards are that kind of thing.  I do have to unplug it when I'm not using it because of heat, but other than that it's fine.  It's a Dell Latitude that was "sorta" rugged back in the day.  Not a Toughbook, but not a desk only laptop.

I recall several manufacturers were, or are, putting out "milspec" laptops that aren't anywhere near Toughbooks*, but close enough for something like a shop. I'm going to start exploring Woot and other refurb dealers. I think this might be a better idea than the monitor.

*They really are tough. I still remember when I was setting up my very first one issued to me at work. I had just plugged it in and started software setup, when some "emergency" on the other side of the building sent me flying out of the office, with the power cord somehow tangled in my feet. I literally sent the laptop flying across my office. Took a licking, kept on ticking.  =)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2022, 09:26:27 AM »
I recall several manufacturers were, or are, putting out "milspec" laptops that aren't anywhere near Toughbooks*, but close enough for something like a shop. I'm going to start exploring Woot and other refurb dealers. I think this might be a better idea than the monitor.

*They really are tough. I still remember when I was setting up my very first one issued to me at work. I had just plugged it in and started software setup, when some "emergency" on the other side of the building sent me flying out of the office, with the power cord somehow tangled in my feet. I literally sent the laptop flying across my office. Took a licking, kept on ticking.  =)

What you're describing is what's called a "semi-rugged" laptop.  Some Toughbooks (panasonic brand name) are like that (and there are other brands)and much cheaper than the real ruggedized Toughbooks.  Still quite pricy for someone who doesn't need the ruggedness.

I know Dell has a ruggedized line.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2022, 09:28:07 AM »
Later, if you want to, you can put a cheap monitor/TV on the wall and port it to your laptop.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 09:32:00 AM »
Later, if you want to, you can put a cheap monitor/TV on the wall and port it to your laptop.

That's kinda what I'm thinking as well.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 09:40:08 AM »
Cheap TV and a USB C to HDMI dongle. No worries about needing a wifi signal that way. If you can get it on your phone, you can watch it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 09:46:54 AM »
What you're describing is what's called a "semi-rugged" laptop.  Some Toughbooks (panasonic brand name) are like that (and there are other brands)and much cheaper than the real ruggedized Toughbooks.  Still quite pricy for someone who doesn't need the ruggedness.

I know Dell has a ruggedized line.

Those are a waste of money, in my book. We use standard laptops and they survive well.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 10:20:53 AM »
Cheap TV and a USB C to HDMI dongle. No worries about needing a wifi signal that way. If you can get it on your phone, you can watch it.

Brad

I get wifi in the shop with an Orbi satellite.  =)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 10:24:11 AM »
Those are a waste of money, in my book. We use standard laptops and they survive well.

How often do they end up getting replaced?

If it's always just sitting on a counter, standard laptop is probably OK. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 10:25:20 AM »

Oh, that makes it easy. Cheapy monitor with native YouTube app. Cast from your phone.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 10:32:40 AM »
Oh, that makes it easy. Cheapy monitor with native YouTube app. Cast from your phone.

Brad

But there's still typing, which is what's swinging me to the laptop. If I were a twentysomething, I wouldn't mind the phone keyboard. As it is, if somebody tries to get chatty with me with texts, I end up calling them and telling them to spit it out so I don't have to keep hitting the wrong keys on that *expletive deleted*ing tiny phone keyboard.  =D

Also, yeah - a refurb regular laptop is probably good enough. If a $300 laptop takes a crap, it's probably still cheaper to buy a new one of those than one refurb  "semi-rugged" laptop.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 10:42:20 AM »
But there's still typing, which is what's swinging me to the laptop. If I were a twentysomething, I wouldn't mind the phone keyboard. As it is, if somebody tries to get chatty with me with texts, I end up calling them and telling them to spit it out so I don't have to keep hitting the wrong keys on that *expletive deleted*ing tiny phone keyboard.  =D

Bluetooth keyboard.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 11:02:24 AM »
"Also, yeah - a refurb regular laptop is probably good enough. If a $300 laptop takes a crap, it's probably still cheaper to buy a new one of those than one refurb  "semi-rugged" laptop."

Back in 2019 I got a refurbed HP from New Egg. Actually a decently capable laptop as it came and it was on sale. I paid the princely sum of... $150.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2022, 11:21:03 AM »

I’ve been here 8 years and been through 2, would probably still be on the same one if they had not upgraded us. Mostly they die if someone drops them off of a machine or if the cooling fan fails. It keeps parts on hands to replace minor issues. We are much more severe on them than a home shop would be too.