Author Topic: Were you an Essential during the Covids?  (Read 2278 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Were you an Essential during the Covids?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 12:05:34 AM »
I figure my letter is somewhere. I may find it, and if so, I may keep it.

We were essential because we made sure that our first responder customers had car parts.

And we sold a helluva lot of spark plugs for weedeaters and lawnmowers too. And every Bubba with a project car in his garage was in looking for parts.

I've also had a whole bunch of batteries get dragged in for charge and testing... By people who would say "Well, we didn't start that car for about two years..." They are gonna have other problems with it.

And the way Karen (usually either black or hipster, but still very masked, often with gloves, and there are a LOT of them around here...) acts about things, us horrid deplorable essentials should be dead, and that would make her happy.

(Oh, and we still get a lot of folks DEMANDING curb service. And their online orders are usually for ridiculous things like one can of spray paint...

The word came down from HQ that we needed to rope stuff off with magic barrier rope, and so on.

I caught "you tested negative" that had me out for about two weeks with a 102 fever. Another couple of cow orkers had mild cases. Had a couple of the "street racer" kids have it multiple times - one claimed three.

Sure. "Let's see the tests." They are former employees.

De Selby - was that "with" or "from."

I'm STILL far more worried about lead poisoning... Had a shoplifter pull on a cow orker last week, and just now found out that a couple of my commercial customers were in the store, drew on the guy, and persuaded him to run for the door...

Oh, and we were heavily encouraged to get the shots.
Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 12:08:54 AM »

De Selby - was that "with" or "from."

I'm STILL far more worried about lead poisoning... Had a shoplifter pull on a cow orker last week, and just now found out that a couple of my commercial customers were in the store, drew on the guy, and persuaded him to run for the door...

Oh, and we were heavily encouraged to get the shots.

Click on the links - that’s deaths from COVID. I understand you personally do not make your judgments about what to or not worry about based on the evidence, but it is what it is and all available answers to your question show convulsively that being an “essential worker” ie not able to work from home came with a significantly higher risk of death from covid.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 12:14:14 AM »
I don't think I've seen a single Middle Eastern or Hispanic covid dancer.
Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2022, 12:15:18 AM »

That might explain the vastly higher death rate from covid
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2022, 12:18:04 AM »
Leaving the house also meant that you had a greater chance of getting ran over by one of the idiots who are still tear-assing around our streets, and if you had the snifflies...

Seriously, South Kingshighway sometimes looks like they're filming a Mad Max...

Maybe middle eastern/hispanic folks were in cheaper nursing homes?

Blog under construction

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2022, 12:20:25 AM »
Leaving the house also meant that you had a greater chance of getting ran over by one of the idiots who are still tear-assing around our streets, and if you had the snifflies...

Seriously, South Kingshighway sometimes looks like they're filming a Mad Max...

Maybe middle eastern/hispanic folks were in cheaper nursing homes?

Tell you what - why don’t you post another cause of death that matched the per 100,000 figures of covid?  That data is out there, instead of speculating you can just find it and post it.

What was the road death toll per 100,000 in that time?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2022, 12:46:00 AM »
Don't really have time - I was at work from 0700-2200 today. People still aren't showing up.

Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2022, 12:49:06 AM »
I cleaned out my messenger/computer bag a few months ago and finally threw out my special travel papers. Now I sort of wish I had saved them.

I got federal credentials, so I was never given special travel papers.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2022, 12:57:22 AM »
Don't really have time - I was at work from 0700-2200 today. People still aren't showing up.

I’ll give you the short version: car accidents and gun shots trail far behind. Cancer and heart disease kill more than covid.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2022, 01:05:25 AM »
And... If you're a terminally ill patient,  you probably will die with covid, at least for the statistics...
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2022, 05:41:47 AM »

The entire country's of Kuwait and UAE did the Covid Dance while I was there.  Like, the chinese version. Airports shut down, IR scanners, military surrounding and closing off whole neighborhoods and "lockdown" that meant stay in your home or be arrested.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2022, 05:51:34 PM »
What papers or credentials are y'all talking about?  Were there actual curfews and you needed a hall pass to goto work?  (even if there were, I'm sure there were exceptions for going out to buy toilet paper.)  At least in the parts of Texas and Minnesota where I was during the worst of it, we were told to stay home *wink* and nobody cared.  I decided whether my trip was essential or not (and I didn't go out much)

If you're talking about non-essential businesses, they were pretty much just not open to the public.

What am I mis-remembering?
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2022, 07:20:38 PM »
"What papers or credentials are y'all talking about? "

In my case it was a letter signed by the head of the Federal Agency for whom I work (as a contractor). At the time COVID kicked off it was FBI. It's now another agency.

But, the letter was a statement that the bearer holds a job deemed to be essential to the security of the United States of America and that travel restrictions based on COVID didn't apply.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2022, 09:24:50 PM »
At the beginning there was some talk of for realz lockdowns.  Such letters were given out in anticipation of that.  But then no actual lockdowns ever really happened.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2022, 10:24:03 PM »
What papers or credentials are y'all talking about?  Were there actual curfews and you needed a hall pass to goto work?  (even if there were, I'm sure there were exceptions for going out to buy toilet paper.)  At least in the parts of Texas and Minnesota where I was during the worst of it, we were told to stay home *wink* and nobody cared.  I decided whether my trip was essential or not (and I didn't go out much)

If you're talking about non-essential businesses, they were pretty much just not open to the public.

What am I mis-remembering?

Due to my job I have a very unique federal ID that permits me access to a lot places and a lot of privileges.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2022, 10:37:20 PM »
Due to my job I have a very unique federal ID that permits me access to a lot places and a lot of privileges.

Is that a pompous way of stating you have a CAK card?  Possibly a security clearance?  BTDT,  it's not particularly special.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2022, 10:44:43 PM »
Here in St. Louis, since Covids can swim upstream in beer taps, they were closing bars that dared to open at around 9-10pm.

There were more than a few places where they would turn off the outside lights and signs.

NEVER pass or try to enforce a law that you know that people will not obey.
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2022, 11:07:57 PM »
Is that a pompous way of stating you have a CAK card?  Possibly a security clearance?  BTDT,  it's not particularly special.

Not meant to be pompous. It's not a CAC card or a security clearance. Just a very niche federal ID. It's a 2 part credential like an FBI badge.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2022, 11:37:36 PM »
Just looked again to the St. Louis City numbers.

Since April 1, we have had 10 people die attributed to (i.e., "with") the 'Rona.

Lots of young hipsters are still masked, and doing all the protocols that they can signal about.

Lots of black people are also still masked, and I figure they watch too much TV.

Lots of young black males are also masked, and usually still wearing hoodies (in 80 degree plus weather), often with sunglasses.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2022, 07:06:33 AM »
At the beginning there was some talk of for realz lockdowns.  Such letters were given out in anticipation of that.  But then no actual lockdowns ever really happened.

Bingo. It was intended to get around and ahead of any governmental travel restrictions or lockdowns that might be dropped into place.

For us, at least, the letters also came with some very dire warnings that they were to be used ONLY for travel to and from work. Trying to use them for general travel outside of your regular work hours would be... "dealt with."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2022, 12:39:42 PM »

Same here but I didn’t have to carry anything more than my CaC ID and was never contested for any movements.  I did travel with .gov approval during Covid lockdowns and occasionally went into the office for Skif work from time to time. 

Guessing your responsibilities required more than what I had to deal with.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2022, 04:30:42 PM »
I was considered essential, as my job is tied to the transportation industry (I'm a machinist at a shop that specializes in automotive assembly line components).

We didn't have to wear masks, because we have to wear safety glasses, and wearing a mask in conjunction with those causes them to fog up.

We did have several Covid cases, including myself, but no deaths.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2022, 04:56:28 PM »
I work at a chemical plant, we can't work from home completely.  I am just an engineer so me and a few others worked from home part time for a while.  It sucked as it was impossible to get into any sort of pattern with work. 

They talked about lock downs for a month or two, but the stores were open and the gun stores/ranges were open so my habits didn't change a lot.  Only thing that came up is my barber had to close.  After a month or two, that all ended except masks were required a lot of places.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 08:58:41 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2022, 08:45:42 PM »
I got two days working from home a week for a few months, and I took some time off when my son was born. Besides that it was schedule as normal. We were “essential” in that my company provides support to a variety of actually essential companies and public entities.

We never got any special ID, nor were cops in my area doing any sort of lockdown patrols. They weren’t actually doing much proactive enforcement at all.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2022, 10:20:48 PM »
Been working from home since March 2020…..

I’ve gone in on occasion and TDY plenty but working from home looks like it’s going to be the norm in our program office.