Author Topic: Were you an Essential during the Covids?  (Read 2228 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Were you an Essential during the Covids?
« on: June 11, 2022, 07:38:11 AM »
You know, I got to wondering, somewhere around 0330...

Was mortality higher among the Essential group, or among the Non-Essential group?

Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Were you an Essential during the Covids?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 07:43:50 AM »
Yes, I was. Ain't ded yet.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 07:55:44 AM »
Yes, I was, and yes, I continue to be. I work on national security-based programs. Literally cannot work from home, so I've been in an office every day of the pandemic, except for back in April and May of 2020 when I was in between jobs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 08:33:08 AM »
Essential yes, in the office all the time, no. 

I go to the office when I need to do work in a classified setting and when meetings dictate face to face necessity. 

I’m still in a 90% work from home posture and don’t see that changing in the near future.

I’ve put on a couple of “work from home” pounds but only like 4 or 5…

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 08:35:41 AM »
Well, I sure don't think I am essential, but I was in the office.  I was about the only one that was, at least during the first summer.  Boy, it was lonely.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 08:39:05 AM »
I was out anyway for the first bit of covid, but yeah, we fall under agriculture since Katie's farm is considered part of the business.

I have yet to get even a sniffle.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 08:44:19 AM »
Well, I sure don't think I am essential, but I was in the office.  I was about the only one that was, at least during the first summer.  Boy, it was lonely.

:rofl:

During the height of the plague we had social distancing protocols in effect in our SCIF. Two 6 hour shifts, 6 a.m. to noon, noon to 6 p.m.

The two hours you weren't in the SCIF you had to work in the unclassified areas of the building to get your full 8 hours in.

I'd go in at 10 a.m. and work in our unclass teaming areas, a space where probably 400 people could sit and work.

Most days there would be 2, maybe 3 of us in there.

The whole building had, in the before times, a daily capacity of around 4,000 people. During full plague, fewer than 400 people would be there in any given day.

Even now, since we've "returned to work" the building is still at maybe 20% capacity, and they've even started emptying out parts of it as we get ready to end the lease in 2025.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 08:48:42 AM »
Were you an Essential during the Covids?

I guess.   Worked right through it, like everyone else I know.

Was mortality higher among the Essential group, or among the Non-Essential group?

no se
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 08:54:04 AM »
Even though I'm retired, Uncle Sam seemed to consider me essential . . . particularly as April 15 approached.  :'(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »
In so much as "essential employee" is defined as "you need to physically go to work everyday", no, I'm not.  The software work I do can be done remotely.  Heck, even my gig teaching trades at the community college went remote.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
I was considered essential and was supposed to be out showing the flag in the hospital and clinics.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 10:38:58 AM »
My employer considered me an essential worker during the Covids.  I had to show up every day to the work site.  And she did not let me slack off at all with the housework and yard work.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 11:17:05 AM »
My employer considered it "essential" that I have access to my office and the labs, but they didn't want me going on-site more than once a week.  (I guess I was supposed to schedule when an emergency would occur  ;/ )  I did most of my work from home, and could have done almost all of it.  When my wife found out I could go to the office once a week, she insisted that I do so to get me out of the house.  :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 11:22:24 AM »
Yes, I was. Ain't ded yet.

Brad

Don’t be such a baby and get on the cart!
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2022, 12:02:24 PM »
Agriculture was deemed essential, I didn't die when I got covid, but a couple times during the active symptoms I wish I did. Honestly I just started really feeling close to 100% a couple weeks ago, so 5 months after testing positive.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2022, 12:46:07 PM »
My nephew is 22 or so. He had it last year, and his sense of smell is still screwed up.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2022, 03:32:09 PM »
My position was "essential" but I was on short term disability when it started and for almost half of 2020. When I went back to work after the first shoulder surgery in late Spring driving in to Tulsa was Surreal, like something out of some post-apocalyptic movie.
When I went back after the 3rd surgery the lockdown was mostly over around here and it was obvious to me the non-essential people can't *expletive deleted*ing drive.

Out of all my "essential" co-workers I don't remember anyone even having the covids let alone dieing from it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 05:18:12 PM »
I haven't been "essential", in ANY sense of the word, for over a decade and a half now!  :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2022, 05:21:47 PM »
"When I went back to work after the first shoulder surgery in late Spring driving in to Tulsa was Surreal"

Oh holy crap tell me about it!

When *expletive deleted*it started to get real in March 2020 and things started to shut down left and right I decided to take Seren to Castle Key's and leave her there because I didn't think I was going to have day care for her. I really thought they were going to shut down because their client base was evaporating.

Two weeks or so later, Friday 10 April, IIRC, was my last day on the FBI contract. I knew the week before that I was losing my job, so I talked with Castle Key and made the decision to head south to his place to be with Seren and get the hell away from DC metro. I packed the car that morning, headed to the office to debrief and tell everyone to go *expletive deleted*ck themselves, and headed south around 1 pm.

The first 50 or so miles of the trip to their place is on interstate 95 heading south, and on a Friday it's usually bumper to bumper, only this time I was hammering along at probably 80 MPH and the occasional car was passing me here and there. There were stretches where there was at least a mile or more between me and the nearest car. It was absolutely eerie.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2022, 06:43:40 PM »
I was. Got my special travel papers around here somewhere.

I WISH the DOD would let me work from home.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2022, 08:00:58 PM »
I was. Got my special travel papers around here somewhere.

I WISH the DOD would let me work from home.

I cleaned out my messenger/computer bag a few months ago and finally threw out my special travel papers. Now I sort of wish I had saved them.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2022, 08:05:03 PM »
Despite being able to do 99% of my job from home, my boss decided I was an essential employee because I'm apparently the only one she could get to show up and unlock/lock the doors at the same time consistently every single day...

Never got the COVID, thankfully. I'm separated from most of the other workers though; I share a classroom sized office with one other person and our desks are 12 feet apart. Makes social distancing easy.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2022, 09:19:48 PM »
As a financial services provider, yes. But, I had the whole team work from home and we will continue to do so on a permanent basis.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2022, 11:53:32 PM »
We had work to do,  so we did it.  My company ignored the entirety of that stupid *expletive deleted*it.  No Covid casualties, and only 2 cases out of 17 guys over the past couple years.  No,  we didn't put stupid *expletive deleted*ing stickers on the ground to indicate where folks could safely stand or require masks.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2022, 12:00:10 AM »

This question has been scientifically studied. The answer is yes, covid mortality was much higher among essential workers.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.02.14.22270958v1.full.pdf

From March 2020 through November 2021, essential work was associated with higher COVID-19 and excess mortality compared with non-essential work, with the highest per-capita COVID-19 mortality in agriculture (131.8 per 100,000), transportation/logistics (107.1), manufacturing (103.3), and facilities (101.1). Essential workers continued to face higher COVID-19 and excess mortality during the period of widely available vaccines (March through November 2021). Between July and November 2021, emergency workers experienced higher per-capita COVID-19 mortality (113.7) than workers from any other sector. Essential workers faced the highest COVID-19 mortality in counties with low vaccination rates, a difference that was more pronounced
during the period of the Delta surge in Summer 2021.

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/19/9/5479

COVID-19 mortality was five times higher for low vs. high-SEP adults (72.2 vs. 14.6 deaths per 100,000, RR = 4.94, 95% CI 4.82–5.05). The joint detriments of low SEP, Hispanic ethnicity, and male gender resulted in a COVID-19 death rate which was over 27 times higher (178.0 vs. 6.5 deaths/100,000, RR = 27.4, 95% CI 25.9–28.9) for low-SEP Hispanic men vs. high-SEP white women. In regression modeling, percent of the labor force in never remote jobs explained 72% of the variance in COVID-19 death rates.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."