Author Topic: Yet another dash cam thread.  (Read 524 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Yet another dash cam thread.
« on: June 19, 2022, 07:26:52 PM »
Been almost a year since we've had a big dash cam discussion.  Seem to be seeing an increase in clueless/careless/deliberate bad drivers as well as a perception that we are locally getting more hit and run incidents.
What's the word on front and rear camera setups?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Yet another dash cam thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 12:58:37 AM »
Just to confirm the sheer stupidity theory:

No dash cams, but I was grateful for the Supermarket parking lot surveillance videos.

Dumb young lady backed into me at the legendary "high rate of speed" and despite my laying on the horn, she crunched me pretty good.  I was very concerned about her accusing me of rear-ending her since there were no witnesses, but the surveillance tapes (according to the surveillance tape honcho) show clearly that she backed into me with my car being stationary.

Car was legally driveable, Iights, signals, hood latch all OK, and based on the "honcho's" e mail to me, her insurance company accepted liability and I got a fair adjustment from them.  A little more of a central hit and the air bag$ would have deployed.  And no other witnesses besides the cameras. (WHEW !)

Terry

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 06:58:24 PM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 03:53:22 AM »
I went from "free" to inexpensive to gimme the good stuff! Have front, rear, and interior cams now.

Check my dash cam YouTube videos. Our 2nd cam saved us when someone rear-ended us and made a slew of false claims, which were proven honest and the victim on the footage! They paid for a new rear hatch, paint and a new mobility scooter lift for us. Even caught a hit and run in a clinic parking lot while waiting on my wife not long ago. Told the car's owner and sent them/the police the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkchy0Oh4yPTG-jMGj1snxD2XqCZB4PsW

Our current Dash Cam is a VanTrue N4:
https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-N4-Infrared-Capacitor-Detection/dp/B083V6K8RH

and the added GPS Mount:
https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-Receiver-Module-Suction-Windows/dp/B083XBS88L

WAY too many idiots around here NOT to have a good one! EASY to install, even the rear cam, at least in my vehicle.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 06:59:52 AM »
My son got one and his theory is that it's a protective talisman.  Since he got it, nothing's happened.   :lol:

HeroHog's post contradicts that, I guess.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 09:49:53 AM »
The Vantrue unit looks interesting pretty well covers the bases I want to cover. Thanks.

Probably just do the wife's Explorer as far as 4 wheelers go but I'm also thinking about one for my bike.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 10:17:37 AM »
I have the Viofo A119 v3 with the optional GPS base/mount. Not a front/rear cam unit but they make one call the Duo which is. Picture quality is excellent, and paired with a Samsung Pro Endurance SD card it doesn't seem to mind extreme temps. No sure about vibration resistance, so use on an MC might be prohibitive.

https://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=66219.msg1344461#msg1344461

I really want to hard wire mine in but am not real jazzed about working around the A-pillar airbag. Maybe someday.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 11:28:27 AM »
As to temps, we live in Louisiana and have had no issues. `Nuff said?
As to vibration, we live in Louisiana, roll on 19" LOW profile tires (factory) and have had no issues. `Nuff said? PS: We can tell the sex of a piss-ant by just driving over it with this dang tire and wheel combination!
 =D
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 12:27:44 PM »
I went from "free" to inexpensive to gimme the good stuff! Have front, rear, and interior cams now.

Check my dash cam YouTube videos. Our 2nd cam saved us when someone rear-ended us and made a slew of false claims, which were proven honest and the victim on the footage! They paid for a new rear hatch, paint and a new mobility scooter lift for us. Even caught a hit and run in a clinic parking lot while waiting on my wife not long ago. Told the car's owner and sent them/the police the footage.

On the first video on your channel I am kind of torn, the person getting hit was in a red zone (behind a handicap spot it looks like) which is probably there so people can back out of that spot he was in. Do stupid *expletive deleted*it win stupid prizes. Some people may have differing opinions.

bob

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 04:10:35 PM »
On the first video on your channel I am kind of torn, the person getting hit was in a red zone (behind a handicap spot it looks like) which is probably there so people can back out of that spot he was in. Do stupid *expletive deleted*it win stupid prizes. Some people may have differing opinions.

bob

It's a screwed up situation there. The people in the car stopped there just long enough to run in and take care of something. There is no parking in the circle unless picking someone or dropping them off, the Valets or the cops/security says you can or ... unless the Valet takes your car and parks it there, like they did today, with our car! We were in a while as they put a new cast on her after X-Rays were done.
MOLON LABE!