Author Topic: First Jacketed Bullet  (Read 694 times)

MechAg94

• friend
First Jacketed Bullet
« on: July 11, 2022, 04:28:11 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet#:~:text=The%20next%20important%20change%20in,core%20in%20a%20copper%20jacket

A trivia question came up today.  When was the first jacketed bullet developed.  We ended up looking it up.  1882. 

The next important change in the history of the rifle bullet occurred in 1882, when Lt. Colonel Eduard Rubin, director of the Swiss Army Laboratory at Thun, invented the copper-jacketed bullet — an elongated bullet with a lead core in a copper jacket. It was also small bore (7.5mm and 8mm) and it is the precursor of the 8mm Lebel bullet adopted for the smokeless powder ammunition of the Lebel Model 1886 rifle.

https://shop.otmtactical.com/The-History-of-Ammunition-The-First-Bullet.html
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: First Jacketed Bullet
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 08:36:52 AM »
You could have just asked me. :rofl:

I've been fascinated with the development of small arms ammunition for decades. It really grew out of my fascination with cartridges and my collecting them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 09:02:16 AM »
I alwys thought the French were pretty advanced in these matters, being the first to adopt smokeless powder and their hole-through-the-grenade launching system.  The regular bullet (no blanks needed) passed through a hole in the grenade, with the exit pressure of the gases behind it doing the actual "launching."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 09:47:17 AM »
The French were also the first to adopt a boat-tailed spitzer bullet.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 09:57:34 AM »
The French were often at the bleeding edge of firearms development.
In the case of the Lebel it kind of bit them in the arse down the road by rushing it particularly in the bullet cartridge design

Edit: There I fixed it. You happy now?  :P 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 10:27:16 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 10:07:24 AM »
The French where often at the bleeding edge of forearms development.
In the case of the Lebel it kind of bit them in the arse down the road by rushing it particularly in the bullet design

Popeye is French?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 10:09:48 AM »
The French where often at the bleeding edge of forearms development.
In the case of the Lebel it kind of bit them in the arse down the road by rushing it particularly in the bullet design

It didn't really bite them in the ass bullet design wise, but the case certainly was problematic.

If you want an interesting history of why the 8mm Lebel cartridge is shaped as it is, check out Othias's video on the Lebel 1886 rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4vfqLkQC6g&list=PLJvsSlrbdhn5v8AuvAZuOYJ5BgEEoDdqm&index=1

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 10:11:47 AM »
It didn't really bite them in the ass bullet design wise, but the case certainly was problematic.

If you want an interesting history of why the 8mm Lebel cartridge is shaped as it is, check out Othias's video on the Lebel 1886 rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4vfqLkQC6g&list=PLJvsSlrbdhn5v8AuvAZuOYJ5BgEEoDdqm&index=1

Yeah, when I said bullet I meant the cartridge.
And I'm very familiar with why it is why it is.
Both Othias and Ian have cover it pretty well.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 10:12:30 AM »

Popeye is French?

Took me a moment to catch the typo  =D
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 10:17:16 AM »
Yeah, when I said bullet I meant the cartridge.
And I'm very familiar with why it is why it is.
Both Othias and Ian have cover it pretty well.

OK, now that we're on the same page terminology wise, check out Popeye's guns!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 12:41:18 PM »
I sometimes wonder if a few of you were around when the first jacketed bullet came out….

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 01:26:42 PM »
He's still got it in him. It was too dangerous to operate.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 03:11:48 PM »
I sometimes wonder if a few of you were around when the first jacketed bullet came out….

Asks the man carrying a 45   :rofl:

:P
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 04:36:44 PM »
While I sit here with a revolver in my pocket that is chambered for a cartridge that originally started life as a black powder round...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 04:40:30 PM »
Ironically despite being considered by some the "old man" round 45acp is actually younger than 9mm (9x19). Not by much mind you but still younger.  I was just making a play on the "old man" perception of 45acp
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 10:06:16 PM »
Asks the man carrying a 45   :rofl:

:P

Touché