Author Topic: I miss my 45’s  (Read 753 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
I miss my 45’s
« on: July 12, 2022, 03:08:43 PM »
Been doing quite a bit of reloading and shooting, but mostly in 9 and 10MM lately.  While looking over my munitions inventory, I realized my .45 ACP ammo stock is low so I started bringing up that amount and really miss the feel of the big fat case and large chunk of lead. 

My first pistol was in .45 ACP and in my .45 collection my most accurate is a Springfield XD 4” service model followed by my Kimber Pro Carry. 

Also realized it’s been a minute since I’ve shot or even carried any of my .45’s lately.  I’ll have to rectify that after I’m done with this batch of reloads.

Long live the .45 ACP….

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: I miss my 45’s
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 03:14:46 PM »
I'm with you.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 03:16:51 PM »
While I've been cheating on my 1911s a bit ever since I moved to America with all the stuff that was forbidden fruit, my S&W commander sized E series (actually bought in Idaho, since it's verbotten in CA, having no magazine disconnect) is still in regular rotation. In fact it's mostly that and my P365XL these days. Old slab sides is still a good concealment choice, even in hot weather. The S&W is the scandium one, so it's relatively lightweight.

I also don't hesitate to carry my FNX45 OWB under a coat in Winter. What's better than 18 rounds of 9MM? Why 16 Rounds of 45ACP of course.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 03:26:50 PM »
When I wear my 1911, I _know_ it is there.

With the G43 and the 642, even together, I forget, due to their weight, that they're there. (all three!)
Blog under construction

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 03:30:33 PM »
I'm currently down to just my H&K USP, full-size. Doubt I'll ever sell it. It is my woods gun, carried in a Maxpedition Versipack man purse. It's not fun trying to conceal it on my hip any more.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 04:33:24 PM »
I'll stick with my 9.1x33R mm, thanks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 04:38:42 PM »
I have plenty of good 45 ACP guns.  I still had to stop and be tempted by the SA 1911 mil spec at the dealer Monday.  Another dealer used to have the Tisas 1911A1. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 04:49:46 PM »
I have 3 .45s...

A Springfield Mil Spec 1911-A1

A Smith & Wesson 4506-1.

A Smith & Wesson Brazilian Contract (early model) 1917.

They're all fun!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 05:05:26 PM »
I need to take my XD45 service out and put a couple mags downrange. It sits 12 inches away anytime I'm home but I think it is feeling unloved.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 05:10:30 PM »
I need to take my XD45 service out and put a couple mags downrange. It sits 12 inches away anytime I'm home but I think it is feeling unloved.

I just recently put the FNX 45 tactical back on the nightstand with a can. The dawg got bit by a coon at 0400 on the 4th of July, requiring a visit to the emergency vet, so it's gonna be my "coon in the night" gun. I was trying it with the can for home defense, but the can makes it too unwieldy for defensive shooting for me. Should be fine for aimed shots though. I've got the Streamlight TLR 7(?) with light laser combo on it, so just put the red dot on the coon and kill it.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 05:19:03 PM »
I use my SAA on coons. Only way to be sure.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 05:28:01 PM »
I use my SAA on coons. Only way to be sure.

I (and I'm starting to get a line of single purpose guns leaning on the wall in the bedroom) also decided to set a mossberg 500 up as a coon gun. #2s and a TLR1 on the end. The pistol will be for a coon or whatever if I need something quick (this coon was acting funny and not leaving, but in the time it took me to get a gun, it had then taken off). Otherwise, coons have been hanging out in a couple of trees in the backyard. I've heard Steve get worked up barking up a tree when I let him out for business at night, and when I grab my thermal, its always coons. I've been letting them be, but after this possibly sick one bit Steve, all bets are off and all coons are shot on sight. I'll use the shotty for that, as I have time to grab earpro.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 05:30:22 PM »
Series 70 MKIV, Custom Sistema, Mixmaster 1911(no A1) and Sistema lower, butchered Remington Rand 1911A1, S&W 325 and S&W 625. And that is a thinned herd. Yes, I have a problem.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 07:51:20 PM »
I also don't hesitate to carry my FNX45 OWB under a coat in Winter. What's better than 18 rounds of 9MM? Why 16 Rounds of 45ACP of course.  =D

I have an FNX45 Tactical that’s dying for a suppressor.  I put a Burris Fastfire II on it as well.  It’s just as accurate as my XD.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 08:04:31 PM »
I've only got 9-1/2 firearms chambered in ".45"
2  rifles in .45-70
A rifle and a pistol in .45 Colt(pistol has extra .45 ACP cylinder, hence the 1/2)
5 1911s in .45 ACP
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 08:24:08 PM »
I have an FNX45 Tactical that’s dying for a suppressor.  I put a Burris Fastfire II on it as well.  It’s just as accurate as my XD.

I'm using the Liberty Cosmic on mine. It is quieter than my suppressed .300 blackout with subsonics. I mean "put a big grin on your face" quiet.  :laugh:

The Cosmic is a pretty long ass suppressor though. I want to get a modular as my next pistol suppressor, just to play with "ease of handling vs noise suppression". I actually want to get a modular as my next rifle suppressor as well.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 10:04:34 PM »
Been thinking about the Osprey but also have a Walther PPQ Navy 9MM with a threaded barrel so a can that can serve either or would be best. 

Oh and my 10” barreled.300 BO SBR has an AAC Cyclone on it.  My 190 Sub X subsonic loads are super quiet and accurate out to 100 yds.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 11:21:08 PM »
I bought a Dan Wesson ECP pistol a couple years ago in 45.  I haven't shot it in a while.  I think the only holster I ever got for it is a DeSantis.  I guess I need to get a premium holster and get set up to carry it again. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 03:30:13 AM »
My "there is something going on in my urban back yard" thing that I grab if it looks moderate is an Uberti SAA in .45LC... Because it goes where I point it.

I've run so many rounds down that, or similar, firearms...

Last time I had it outdoors was when a young Mexican fellow drove his truck OVER a dumpster... Well, most of the way... And my next door neighbor and I had NO IDEA what was going on...

If I think that worse stuff is going to hit the air handler, I cower inside... With a .357 Winchester carbine.

However... I've wandered out the front door with that when I have had neighbors having problems.

Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 04:12:14 AM »
I should have kept my Norinco 1911A1 .45 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 07:07:57 AM »
Oh, silly me, I forgot my most favorite .45 of all...

My S&W 25-5 4" in .45 Long.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 10:50:52 AM »
When I realized I had more .45 ammo than anything else and then realized I had not shot my Springfield custom built by Rob Leatham for quite a long time, I endeavored to change that. Have been shooting it regularly for about 3 weeks now. Burned about 400 rounds through it but not really making a dent in my supply yet.
What we have here is failure to communicate.