Author Topic: A $1.7 Million Public Bathroom in San Francisco  (Read 284 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A $1.7 Million Public Bathroom in San Francisco
« on: October 20, 2022, 07:44:12 AM »
A single public shitter in San Francisco is going to cost $1.7 million.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-francisco-building-public-toilet-1-7-million-completed-2025

All the reasons they give:

A spokesperson for the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department told Fox News Digital that the exorbitantly high cost is due to "onerous demands and unpredictable costs levied by PG&E," construction costs that have skyrocketed 20% to 30% in the past two years, and employment of workers who are being paid a living wage with benefits.

"It’s also important to note that public projects and their overall cost estimates don’t just reflect the price of erecting structures,"  the spokesperson said. "They include the cost of planning, drawing, permits, reviews, public outreach and construction management."

I see that first and foremost, they blamed not local government, but PG&E, the regional electricity provider.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: A $1.7 Million Public Bathroom in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 07:53:58 AM »
File the right paperwork, and public works projects are a GREAT way to convert public (i.e., taxpayer) funds into private profits without fear of prosecution. That money wasn't literally burned or flushed down a sewer, it ended up in SOMEBODY'S pocket. Which is the entire point of this project and many others.

Corruption used to be a little more subtle, but nowadays, they just don't care since investigative journalism and (in 'Frisco and many other cities) honest prosecutors no longer exist.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 08:24:09 AM »
Seattle has also struggled with public restrooms on the city streets.  Back in 2008, they spent $ 5,000,000 on five automated public toilets that subsequently had to be removed since they were havens for sexual and drug activity and were also trashed by the users.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 08:32:44 AM »
Fits a pattern

Martha MacCallum
@marthamaccallum
·
Follow
Most expensive train in history: CA high speed rail project from LA to SF, now two years late and $113 billion dollars. Let that sink in. 113 BILLION DOLLARS. Hmm.
12:19 PM · Oct 14, 2022
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/10/14/let-that-sink-in-martha-maccallum-has-an-update-about-the-most-expensive-train-in-history-in-calif/

Yes, 113 BILLION  and counting for single line between LA & SF

A new review of California’s high-speed rail project said it may never be finished.

A report from the New York Times found that political compromises over the years resulted in difficult routes for the train, adding billions of dollars in costs.

The vision of the project is to shuttle passengers between Los Angeles and San Francisco in less than three hours.

Construction begun on part of the 171-mile starter line connection a few cities in the middle of the state.

The current estimated cost of the rail system is $113 billion.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 08:52:17 AM »
Yeah, a single shitter is going to "solve" the *expletive deleted*it problem.

The only thing that is going to happen is that the bums are going to tear it apart and it will become a assignation spot for the "gentlemen who prefer the company of other gentlemen."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.