Author Topic: CDC updates opioid treatment guidelines  (Read 636 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
CDC updates opioid treatment guidelines
« on: November 04, 2022, 12:25:01 PM »
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/rr/rr7103a1.htm

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/03/1134079070/cdc-issues-a-revamp-of-opiod-guidelines-giving-clinicians-more-leeway

https://www.empr.com/home/news/cdc-releases-updated-guidance-on-prescribing-opioid-pain-medication/

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/pharma-and-life-sciences/cdc-opioid-guidelines-call-non-opioids-just-as-effective-for-acute-pain

In recent years, the Feds and various State governments (I am looking at you, Washington) have really tightened the screws on opioid prescribing, especially for chronic pain patients.  The tougher requirements have discouraged clinicians from taking on new chronic pain patients, since no one wants to get a licensure disciplinary complaint.  I will be interested to see if State medical disciplinary boards change their approach on regulating chronic opioid prescribing. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: CDC updates opioid treatment guidelines
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 01:08:26 PM »
{Speedy shudders and keeps an eye on the VA}
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 09:22:00 PM »
From the NPR article:

Doctors went from overprescribing to the opposite end of the spectrum, where many became reluctant to give any opioids at all. And this led to another crisis of untreated pain. It affected all kinds of patients, those with injuries or coming out of surgery with acute pain. It affected patients with chronic pain who suddenly had their prescriptions cut down or stopped altogether. This had some horrible unintended consequences. Some patients even turned to the illegal drug market. Some died by suicide.

As many here can attest, chronic pain is a bitch.  It will wear you down, tear you down, cause problems with romantic and work relationships. 

And our "overseers" decide when/if we need relief.

"...horrible unintended consequences."  Indeed.

I could probably be rid of most of my pain with 4 major surgeries and 1 minor-ish surgery (all on different parts of my body).  I'd also loose my house & declare bankruptcy.  Opioids are allowing me to function until the situation improves.  Just a couple more years should do it.

Those who make the rules & regs should have to live the worst case scenarios created by those rules and regs.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 07:05:48 AM »
One of the most insane, incredibly stupid, and borderline criminal things I ever heard was from a cancer hospice doctor who said that it was getting to the point where he was becoming afraid to prescribe the necessary amounts of opiates to end of life patients because of the bureaucratic reviews to which he was subject.

He claimed that one reviewer told him he needed to back off prescribing so many opiates because of the risk of getting patients addicted.

Terminal, end-of-life cancer patients.

Somehow I sort of doubt that they would be around long enough for that to be an issue.

I used to occasionally shoot matches with a chronic pain management doctor in Maryland. I flippantly asked him for a prescription for Oxy because my job was such a pain in the ass. He just sort of looked at me and said something to the effect of "Sorry, I don't even joke about that because of all of the regulations."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 09:13:55 AM »
Four years ago my mother had an osteoporotic stress fracture in her lower back/sacrum which caused her intense pain - think of sciatica on steroids. She spent a couple of weeks in a rehabilitation hospital and even with strong opioids, she was hurting terribly. Without them, the pain would probably have killed her.

She was still getting opioids (lower doses) when she came home - it fell to me to manage dosage and frequency per the doctor's instructions. In due course the pain diminished along with her requests for pain pills, and one morning, the pain was just gone.

She quit asking for opioids, so she avoided addiction. The point being, opioids are sometimes necessary and essential for pain management. Cutting off people with a legitimate medical need is both cruel and sadistic, and could cause desperate people to seek illegitimate sources - and we all know the problems with that.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 09:19:52 AM »
Ah yes, more victory stories from the War On (some) Drugs.

At least we can all rest easy (or not) knowing that keeping prescription pain pills away from folks has stamped out the illegal pill trade. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 09:27:25 AM »
Ah yes, more victory stories from the War On (some) Drugs.

At least we can all rest easy (or not) knowing that keeping prescription pain pills away from folks has stamped out the illegal pill trade. 

Isn't that the same logic they use to justify taking guns out of the hands of the law abiding?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 10:14:53 AM »
In our clinics, we hear constantly from patients that if we don't give them prescription opiates, they will just get Fentanyl on the street.  We hear that the Fentanyl from the PRC is cheaper than the prescription meds.

Edited to add: the local law enforcement agencies post pictures of the Fentanyl and other drug seizures from when they pull over a car or do a drug raid against the dealer.  I can't help but notice that the dealers often have more expensive guns than I do.  Very few Saturday Night Specials, and lots of name brand automatic pistols, with Glock being the most common, and lots of M-4geries.  My favorite was what looked to be a mint Webley Mark 6 revolver.  Where the heck did they find that?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 10:18:33 AM »
Well, if they die from a super hot Chinese fentanyl mix, at least they don't get addicted.  ;/

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 12:27:14 PM »
Until they come up with something that works AT LEAST as well as opioids, I will probably be on them till I croak.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!