Author Topic: Seagate NAS drive prices  (Read 491 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Seagate NAS drive prices
« on: November 09, 2022, 04:07:40 PM »
Cruising New Egg and noticed Seagate Ironwolf Pro drive prices.

https://www.newegg.com/Seagate-IronWolf-NAS-Hard-Drives/EventSaleStore/ID-5901?SrchInDesc=pro

Constantly amazed at how quickly storage capacities for given form factors keep increasing. Twenty TB on a 3.5" drive? Dayum. Similarly amazed at how prices keep dropping, especially considering Ironwolf Pro drives are rated at 300TB/yr and over two million hours MTBF. Nice!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Cliffh

• friend
Re: Seagate NAS drive prices
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 05:09:43 PM »
The first modern form factor hard drive I bought was $1.00 per MB, $210 for 210MB.

There's been a lot of change since then.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 06:10:24 PM »
Still remember my first HDD, ST-225R
A whole whopping 20mb Thought I would never run out of space
Have single photos that take up more space than that now
Paid $300 for it. That's $300 1985 dollars
That didn't include the ST-412 controller board, another ~$100
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 06:20:27 PM »

$200 for a 40MB Connor SCSI drive for my Atari ST.  Plus ICD host adapter board.  1991 or 2.  I should still have a sector for sector image file of that drive.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 06:22:07 PM »

You too, eh?

Back in the days when a base-model IBM-PC came with ONE 360k floppy drive and 128k of RAM, a 20MB hard drive was Nirvana. Yes, I also thought when I got that ST225R I was getting enough storage space to last me for the rest of my [computing] life.

Silly me ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 06:31:17 PM »
You too, eh?

Back in the days when a base-model IBM-PC came with ONE 360k floppy drive and 128k of RAM, a 20MB hard drive was Nirvana. Yes, I also thought when I got that ST225R I was getting enough storage space to last me for the rest of my [computing] life.

Silly me ...

Nowadays a bare bones W10 install ~40gb
2,000 x what that ST-225R would hold.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 07:35:53 PM »

Did the same, less the controller for my 8088 American Semiconductor PC Clone. Hercules Graphics card, little amber monochrome monitor, that came with a single 5¼" floppy drive and a Full Height IBM 10MEG hard drive. Said those exact same words too! Cool thing about the case: there was a "button" on either side that you pressed and then opened up the top of the case like a car hood!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 07:36:48 PM »
BTW: Someone donate 2 of those Seagate 4tb drives to me, if ya feel like it! ;-)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 07:59:00 PM »
Did the same, less the controller for my 8088 American Semiconductor PC Clone. Hercules Graphics card, little amber monochrome monitor, that came with a single 5¼" floppy drive and a Full Height IBM 10MEG hard drive. Said those exact same words too! Cool thing about the case: there was a "button" on either side that you pressed and then opened up the top of the case like a car hood!

Mine did that
Wonder if that was the same case I had?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 09:15:00 PM »
The first hard drive I bought, not new like the one I posted before, was a used 5MB MFM.  Got that and the controller card to install in my first computer, a monochrome monitor Tandy with one floppy drive.  I was told by the guy teaching me how to work on computers that I couldn't get it to work in the Tandy.  Got that one working and added a second 5MB drive later.

I don't miss that Tandy.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 11:23:15 PM »
Wish I had a good pic of it. Bought it out of "Computer Shopper".
MOLON LABE!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2022, 11:24:41 PM »
The first computer I had was a Zeos Legacy workstation that the company was planning on throwing away.  It had a 5.25" FD, a 25 mHz CPU, NO HD or OS, and 1 mb of RAM on 4 -256K 30 pin SIMS.  A computer shop across the street put in a HD, a 33 mHz CPU with a "doubler", Windows 3.1, a 3.5" FD, and 4 strips of new RAM, giving me 4 mb.  A year later, the company was throwing away more computers and there was another Zeos but this one had 4 strips of 4 mb RAM that I salvaged and added to my Zeos, giving it 20 mb RAM.
For 2 years, I went to an "internet cafe" to download assorted software (mostly games). Two years later, I got a Micron Windows 98 system with 400 mHz CPU.
Although I haven't used either of those two for over a year, I still have them.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 08:15:33 PM »
Fun fact, the Star Trek: The Next Generation technical manual states that the storage capacity of the Enterprise-D's central computer is 4 TB.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!