Author Topic: Writing thread  (Read 1423 times)

Writing thread
« on: May 20, 2005, 11:21:22 PM »
Anyone care to critique a little bit of mine?

http://www.muzzleflash.org/articles.php?cat_id=3

Standing Wolf

• friend
Writing thread
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 03:46:16 PM »
No one over the age of 35 reads reversed type.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
Writing thread
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 04:52:34 PM »
Well, it's just me I guess.  A good writer doesn't need profanity to express himself.
I'm interested in ideas and reading about the experiences of life through the eyes of others.  When one begins to sprinkle the writing with expletives, I begin to lose my focus on the idea or the experience.

The beauty of the written word is that there are so many lyrical ways to weave a good tale without diminishing it with crudety.

Strive for beauty and leave the shock for the schlock artists.

Just my .02 cents, my lad.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Azrael256

• friend
Writing thread
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 05:06:36 PM »
I agree on the reversed type.  A very dark background makes the page look disorganized.  A light background, particularly white, with plenty of lines makes it look organized, and can be used to direct the eye.  If you use Whatcolor a lot, because you're colorblind, like me, you'll find that there is less difference between red and black than there is between red and white.  Your red text is invisible to me in normal display mode.  If I switch to my "colorblind" mode, it's still very difficult to see because of the low contrast.  If you want to stick with the reversed colors, switch to a serif typeface.

As for the writing bit...
Don't use contractions.
Profanity sucks.
Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) should be discarded.  Some of your parentheticals are complete thoughts.  A remark that requires the reader to read one sentence in the middle of another is confusing.
One's self should be one word, no apostrophe.
Edit for run-on sentences.  This one is tricky, especially when you have a whole lot to say.  Try reading it out loud in one breath.  If you get dizzy, it's a run-on.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
Writing thread
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 06:29:19 PM »
I disagree about contractions. I believe you should write like you talk or you'll end up sounding pretentious -- and nobody wants that.

I do prefer dashes over parentheses; it's just a style point.  Different strokes.