Author Topic: CA mountain lion attacks 5 yr old, mom to the rescue  (Read 386 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
CA mountain lion attacks 5 yr old, mom to the rescue
« on: February 02, 2023, 11:28:37 PM »
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/mountain-lion-attacks-boy/3145633/

So, they are east of highway one in San Mateo - hiking on private property - the five yr old boy was running and apparently triggered a nearby cat.
 The mom quickly ran toward the lion, I imagine in full shrieking momma mode and the lion decided to exit.

I've camped in the area and its well known for mountain lion activity, I sincerely doubt the mom/granddad ever thought about carrying a gun, being how deep blue the area is.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: CA mountain lion attacks 5 yr old, mom to the rescue
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 11:58:07 PM »
California banned entirely the hunting of cougars in 1990.  Bad enough WA banned the use of hounds to hunt them.  Anyway, predators that are hunted regularly have much better manners.  Not to mention lower population densities near large human populations.  It’s one of many reasons I won’t live in California.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »
the five yr old boy was running and apparently triggered a nearby cat.

Did he not address it by its preferred pronouns?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 10:13:01 AM »
She should have started an ontological discussion with the Mountain Lion.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 12:14:47 PM »
Did Sartre have something to say about moms and cougars?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 12:25:13 PM »
Has the mom been  charged for interfering with an endangered/protected species feeding yet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Luvtn

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 12:09:24 AM »
I worked in Moreno Valley, California at the hospital. Of all the hospitals I have worked in 52 years as a nurse, that is the only one that had a sign up sheet for a “ range day”.  Why they didn’t have a gun, I don’t know.  They were on private property.
Luvtn

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 11:08:06 PM »
welcome to APS !
yup, in the late eighties and nineties you could find cool gun people, most of us here wouldn't hike in lion country without being armed but CA nowadays is blue as heck
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."