Author Topic: Getting the nostalgia feels  (Read 904 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Getting the nostalgia feels
« on: February 14, 2023, 01:00:35 PM »
I stumbled on this rabbit hole (small one) on the you tubes today. After a few videos I was like, yea I remember these things.

https://www.youtube.com/@RecollectionRoad

bob

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Getting the nostalgia feels
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 01:17:38 PM »
Looks promising.  Seeing that one thumbnail, I still use Campho-Phenique.  It is a good topical treatment for cuts and stuff.  Does anyone still tells kids if the medicine stings, that means it is working?   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 02:46:08 PM »
Regarding Campho-Phenique, I would visit my grandparents in NW Alabama every year and during that time we would go pick wild blackberries so my Grandmother could make a cobbler. I would get covered with chiggers, esp in the nether regions. After a nice soaking bath they would have me dab on the Campho-Phenige on each one of those little bastages. I seem to recall the itching was less but the smell is what I remember the most.

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 03:15:13 PM »
Been a long time since I had a case of the chiggers. Not long enough - those emissaries of hell...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 04:18:27 PM »
Somebody has been watching over me as I have never had a problem with chiggers.  The biggest problems I have faced in the woods (as a child) was being very allergic to both poison ivy and bee stings.  I have "outgrown" the severe reactions to bee stings (Thank God !!) but poison ivy remains.  Going hunting, I have always had to check myself carefully for ticks but, in most cases, I can feel them crawling on me before they bite.  It seems that they disturb my body hair and kind of tickle me, alerting me to their presence.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 05:08:25 PM »
I grew up smelling of Campo-Phenique, it was the "cure all" topical treatment.
Chiggers and ticks love me. Chiggers are relatively easy to deal with, Deep Woods Off seems to keep them at bay. I'll probably go through a case of the stuff in a season.
Ticks on the other hand seem to regard DEET as a condiment when it comes to my blood. I've had episodes where I've had to resort to the flea and tick dog shampoo on me and my clothes. Year before last between dug in and crawlers the wife and I picked off over 100 in one session, not an unusual event here. I was tested last fall and found to be positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever antibodies.
On the plus side I'm not allergic to poison Ivy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 05:13:21 PM »
Been a long time since I had a case of the chiggers. Not long enough - those emissaries of hell...

The old belief was that they dug in (well they don’t) and clear nail polish seals their breathing holes, suffocating them. Well nail polish burns like a mother *expletive deleted*er on a chigger bite but my parents insisted on applying it, believing in the “conventional wisdom”. And as a young boy you can guess where I often got chigger bites.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 05:50:22 PM »
I am the token tick, chigger, and mosquito bait at family gatherings. The little bastards love me. Mom can walk through grass barefoot and in shorts. Nothing. Not so much as an itch or a single skeeter. Me? I can sit on the porch in jeans, hiking boots, crew socks, soaking wet in Deep Woods Off, and still be in a cloud of mosquitos with solid chigger bites up to my knees.

Best way I've found to curb (most of) the agony from chiggers is soak cup towels in rubbing alcohol, place on the affected area, then wrap snugly in plastic wrap. Leave for five minutes. This seems to kill any remaining critters and maybe dilute or remove the offending saliva. Then I double up on diphenhydramine and lather on antihistamine cream. Doesn't take all the itch away, just makes it tolerable enough to not rip my skin off. Also makes for a nice nap.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 06:09:05 PM »
When I was very little and we visited my Grandfather's house and land, I would get ticks biting me.  We moved out there when I was a kid.  Once I lived there, I rarely got bit by a tick. Found them crawling on me a handful of times, but bites were rare.  Got chiggers once or twice, but I don't know how common they were on that land.  I think the cows kept the grass eaten down so maybe that helped.  Mosquitos I would get plenty of bites.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 08:47:34 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2023, 07:38:58 PM »
Chiggers SUCK!!! Had some after I leaned up against a tree to rest some 20 - 30 years ago and NEVER want to experience them again!!!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WindBreaker

• AKA: "Sir Fartsalot"
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 11:58:19 PM »
I grew up with a Daddy (born in 1924) that believed in Campo-Phenique as well. He called it "Snake-Oil" and would say that it would cure dandruff and athletes foot and anything in-between!! But was glad to hear that alcohol would get rid of Chiggers as well.  Just how much should I drink to remove them? Is it a set formula? Like Shots times number of Chiggers? Or just a set amount? OR Maybe you just need to start filling up until the level gets above the affected area. I like that measurement, and can see ankles to knees working well, but once it gets above the waist I may need some assistance.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 01:19:43 AM »
A bladder full should do it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 02:28:51 AM »
I once got stung in the balls by a wasp.

Got all y'all beat.
Blog under construction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 02:43:10 AM »

Got all y'all beat.

On the balls by a bee. Had to get mom to pull the stinger out! (very young kid playing baseball at school when a bee flew up my pants leg)
MOLON LABE!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 05:16:05 AM »

Got all y'all beat.

My father was pulling on pair of work pants in the basement he forgot to shake out. Two scorpions in the crotch. He crawled up the stairs, laid on the second flight for an hour, then got up and went to work. Tough SOB.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 07:16:51 AM »
My Grandfather didn't believe in Campho-Phenique....

He believed in tincture of camphor.

Get a cut? Camphor.

Sore throat? Camphor.

Itchy rash? Camphor.

Broken arm? Camphor.

Traumatic amputation of your head in a grain thresher? Camphor, but that might require two bottles.

A couple of years ago I actually found tincture of camphor for sale at a small independent drug store (I'd not see it in years).

I bought it just for nostalgia, and opening that bottle and taking a whiff took me right back to when I was a kid spending time with Grandma and Grandpa.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 08:07:20 AM »

Got all y'all beat.

How about in the eye?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 08:50:40 AM »
I got stung on the back of my head (under my hat) once.  It isn't a good idea to shew away a wasp with your hat without carefully checking it before putting it back on.  It might take half an hour for the wasp to get it's stinger lined up.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 09:12:04 AM »
I subscribed to the channel and so far its pretty interesting. and I remember all the 1960s and newer stuff.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 11:55:27 AM »
Growing up I remember seeing about half of the 1960s "medicine cabinet" items in our medicine cabinet, but we had merthiolate instead of mercurichrome. And I still have a bar of Lava soap on the utility sink in my laundry room, just off the garage.

In 1910 instead of 1960, the medicine cabinet may have also contained laudanum (opium extract) and BAYER HEROIN.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 12:35:15 PM »
BAYER HEROIN.

Yes... Heroin is actually a trademark of the Bayer Corporation.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2023, 03:06:58 PM »
And I still have a bar of Lava soap on the utility sink in my laundry room, just off the garage.

I keep a bar in the bathroom. Comes in handy when changing oil, and what-not.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 03:23:52 PM »
Worst bee sting - 65mph on a motorcycle, wearing a tank top, hit on the collarbone.  Had to cut the stinger out.

Bleach works well on chigger bites.  Wet a towel and wipe on the area.  My brother says it works on skeeter bites, but haven't tried it myself.

I've started using Invisible Glove again.  Most anything will wash off with just water if you've got that stuff on before hand.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2023, 03:24:26 PM »
Up here in the northwoods, coat your pants and gaiters with permethrin. Deer ticks suck.

I had a yellow jacket go up the sleeve of my motorcycle jacket once. SOB tagged me three times before I got my jacket off, still about 40mph.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2023, 05:51:45 PM »
I sat on a scorpion. Didn't take long to de-ass the area, but not before the little bugger zapped me a couple times.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB