Author Topic: Hey Old Farts Who Can't See Up Close  (Read 601 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hey Old Farts Who Can't See Up Close
« on: February 17, 2023, 11:17:55 AM »
Have any of you tried Thin Optics?

https://www.thinoptics.com/?gclsrc=3p.ds

I just now saw them talked about on a Tactical Hyve EDC video. It has been going on ten years that I've needed reading glasses and I find I am still too vain and/or self-unaware to recognize that I should take reading glasses with me wherever I go. I have like 50 pairs spread around the house and the vehicles, but still can't manage to bring a pair into a store or whatever. If you ever run into me at Home Despot, you'll probably see me with my phone out, using the camera to read some small print.  :laugh:

Depending on how sturdy these are, I'm thinking they might be an option for me. I'm going to investigate further, but wonder if anyone here has tried them?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Hey Old Farts Who Can't See Up Close
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 11:35:34 AM »
I had a pair for awhile. The nose pads deteriorated pretty quick and then they wouldn’t stay in place.
I liked them at first but wouldn’t get another pair.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 12:46:12 PM »
Thanks. "Ruggedness" and surviving pocket carry would be a major concern for me. Maybe these are more for people who have sit-down jobs or walk around with their phones in their hands (illustrations seem to show a "phone holster" for them).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 01:40:32 PM »
If you start carrying around a monocle, make sure to complete the look with a top hat.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 03:03:24 PM »
If you start carrying around a monocle, make sure to complete the look with a top hat.

Nah, he's German, He needs a pickelhaube.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 03:08:13 PM »

I really do.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 08:10:44 AM »

I really do.

The mental image of Ben tramping around his property while sporting a pickelhaube made me chuckle.  Be sure to post pictures if you ever do that, Ben.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 08:14:31 AM »
The mental image of Ben tramping around his property while sporting a pickelhaube made me chuckle.  Be sure to post pictures if you ever do that, Ben.

There are a surprising number of reasonably priced choices at Amazon.  =D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 08:16:34 AM »
There are a surprising number of reasonably priced choices at Amazon.  =D

You should find a matching one that would fit Steve.  The two of you patrolling your property wearing pickelhaubes would be hilarious.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 10:04:45 AM »
You should find a matching one that would fit Steve.  The two of you patrolling your property wearing pickelhaubes would be hilarious.

and a real little one for the cat?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 10:07:26 AM »
and a real little one for the cat?

Somehow it seems most appropriate for the cat.  :laugh:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2023, 10:43:18 AM »
This thread is useless without pictures.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 11:51:00 AM »
You guys talkin' about flat Fresnel lenses?

I had a wallet-card sized one I used to carry around,  was issued by the Post Office for some reason. Rarely used, but when needed, it was real great to have.  I still have it somewhere, but now I carry a small magnifying glass in my day pack.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2023, 11:59:17 AM »
Somehow it seems most appropriate for the cat.  :laugh:

Except the cat would probably kill you in your sleep if you tried to put one of those on his head.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:12:26 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2023, 12:00:01 PM »
You guys talkin' about flat Fresnel lenses?

I had a wallet-card sized one I used to carry around,  was issued by the Post Office for some reason. Rarely used, but when needed, it was real great to have.  I still have it somewhere, but now I carry a small magnifying glass in my day pack.

this is the best option, here's two choices:

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Fresnel-Pocket-Magnifier-Starter/dp/B06WD3HSZJ
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013SZTHA2
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 12:05:33 PM »
I find myself using the magnifier on my smart phone at times to read some small label or something if my cheaters aren’t handy.
So far, I have been unable to start a fire with it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 12:11:14 PM »
I used to carry one of these around, a dual lens, I think it magnified up to 30X if both lenses were used.

My Dad and Grandfather had a ton of them as they were land surveyors, and even with perfect eyesight you needed magnification to read the transit bed.

Lost it, and I have no clue where.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 06:00:37 PM »
Those look like the same thing the Post Office provided... and I still don't know why, but I wish I could find it again.

I find myself using the magnifier on my smart phone at times to read some small label or something if my cheaters aren’t handy.
So far, I have been unable to start a fire with it.

LOL.  Very asstoot sensa yuma.

I remember some guy claiming he could start a fire with the reflection from the concave bottom of some food or drink can.  Boy, that had to be one highly polished and perfectly curved food can, besides being big enough to capture enough solar energy to concentrate the rays to an ignition point.  And he had to live on the equator.

I didn't call him on it because I've seen enough "impossible" things over  the years, but my Doubting Thomas instincts sure came to the fore.   I too, without visual and manual demonstration, will not believe it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 06:28:03 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.