Author Topic: GLOBAL WARMING ==> CLIMATE CHANGE ==> GLOOM & DOOM !!!!!  (Read 32337 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: GLOBAL WARMING ==> CLIMATE CHANGE ==> GLOOM & DOOM !!!!!
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2024, 06:03:10 PM »
Please tell me that someone has made this into a t-shirt.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2024, 04:14:24 PM »
"You really don't need to have a tomato in December."

I'll have a tomato anytime I want one, commie.

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/08/25/environmentalists-coming-for-your-fridge-n2400096

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2024, 08:50:10 AM »
The Truck Fire at Rivian's Factory Is Anything But Normal
https://www.motortrend.com/news/rivian-normal-illinois-truck-suv-factory-fire/

A fire broke out in the parking lot of Rivian’s plant in Normal, Illinois, over the weekend, damaging several dozen Rivian vehicles. Aerial photos of a large parking lot outside the factory shows a cordoned-off area containing nearly 60 Rivian R1T electric pickup trucks and R1S electric SUVs, most showing fire damage. A source close to Rivian told MotorTrend the affected vehicles had been set aside for scrapping, though other sources have said that the vehicles were awaiting repair. Local news reports say the fire department responded to the fire just before 9:45 pm on Saturday and that the fire was out by midnight. Standard operating procedure for electric car fires is to let them burn themselves out instead of trying to extinguish them, which accounts for the size and scope of the fire.
Does that SOP apply if one is on fire in your garage?

Salty Cracker posted a video about this.  My youtube at work doesn't allow restricted videos and this is one.  Not sure why.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2024, 09:20:56 AM »
"You really don't need to have a tomato in December."

I'll have a tomato anytime I want one, commie.

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/08/25/environmentalists-coming-for-your-fridge-n2400096
Has this person heard of green houses?  I guess using a green house in winter would require fuel as well.

I wonder if she has heard that higher CO2 levels substantially increase plant growth?  I have also heard it helps plants use less water to grow and helps plant growth in drier areas or higher elevations, increasing the amount of land useful for growing things and taking carbon out of the atmosphere. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2024, 04:39:00 PM »
Has this person heard of green houses?  I guess using a green house in winter would require fuel as well.

I wonder if she has heard that higher CO2 levels substantially increase plant growth?  I have also heard it helps plants use less water to grow and helps plant growth in drier areas or higher elevations, increasing the amount of land useful for growing things and taking carbon out of the atmosphere.

Of course not !  That defeats the purpose of their narrative !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2024, 12:30:33 PM »
World's largest cargo ship that's delivering a lavish 1,000-tonne cargo tomorrow
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/worlds-largest-cargo-ship-thats-delivering-a-lavish-1000-tonne-cargo-tomorrow/ar-AA1pQv7u

I wonder what the cost per ton of cargo is.  Pretty small ship compared to the super sized container ships.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2024, 12:57:51 PM »
World's largest cargo ship that's delivering a lavish 1,000-tonne cargo tomorrow
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/worlds-largest-cargo-ship-thats-delivering-a-lavish-1000-tonne-cargo-tomorrow/ar-AA1pQv7u

I wonder what the cost per ton of cargo is.  Pretty small ship compared to the super sized container ships.

From that Article:

The largest cargo ship in existence has begun its maiden voyage across the Atlantic Ocean, producing a carbon footprint 10 times smaller than that of a container ship.

The 81-metre ship named Anemos left port in France in early August and is on track to deliver 1000 tonnes of cognac and champagne to New York by tomorrow.

What the Actual *expletive deleted*ck?  I know it's probably bad writing, but that is a tiny cargo ship.  The US Army has larger cargo ships, and our ships ain't that big.  She isn't even the largest commercial sailing vessel ever built, she's just the largest one currently, because she's the only one currently.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2024, 01:07:01 PM »
I assume they meant to say largest "sailing" cargo ship.  I would just like the see the carbon foot print or fuel uses per ton of cargo.  How many voyages would this ship need to make to equal the same tonnage of one of the super max freighters?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2024, 01:11:39 PM »
I assume they meant to say largest "sailing" cargo ship.  I would just like the see the carbon foot print or fuel uses per ton of cargo.  How many voyages would this ship need to make to equal the same tonnage of one of the super max freighters?

I'm trying to assume that too, 1k tonnes of cargo is minuscule 

https://www.ship-technology.com/features/the-top-10-largest-container-ships-in-the-world/?cf-view
1- MSC Irina, MSC Loreto and MSC Michel Cappellini

MSC Irina ,MSC Loreto and MSC Michel Cappellini are currently the largest vessels in the world in terms of dead weight tonnage (dwt) and cargo capacity. These massive ships have a tonnage exceeding 240,000 dwt and can carry up to 24,346 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU) of cargo. Furthermore, the new design allows for containers to be stacked up to 25 layers high, providing even greater capacity for cargo transport. These “ultra-large container ships” are, in fact, the same length as others in their class; the reason that they are considered the biggest is because their deck arrangements provide for their 24,346 TEU container capacity.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2024, 01:13:39 PM »
https://www.marineinsight.com/know-more/top-10-worlds-largest-container-ships-in-2019/

This says the largest can carry over 24,000 standard 20 foot containers and is 400 meters long.  I guess that TEU unit of measure makes sense in that industry, but it is hard to compare to other units.

Also, that sailing cargo ship will likely still have a small engine for inshore navigation along with generators. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2024, 01:48:15 PM »
Very roughly, a TEU is a 20Ft connex.  Subtracting the tare weight of a connex from the max weight, a 20 ft box can hold 47,600 lbs or 21.6 tonnes.

A "normal" VLCS (Very Large Container Ship) can hold 15,000 ish cans, but they do not plan for all the can's to be full to capacity.  You gotta look up the ship's deadweight tonnage to compare to that sailing dingy.

As WLJ posted the new ULCS's that are coming out dwt 240,736 tonnes.

A more "normal" sized VLCS, the Ever Given of Suez Canal fame dwt like 220,000 tonnes.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2024, 11:42:49 AM »
We're 90th on the list. Guess who #1 is

Revealed: The 10 countries that produce the most plastic pollution around the world - with India topping the list
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-13811929/Top-10-countries-plastic-pollution-world.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2024, 05:52:55 PM »
"We shoulda named it what it was."

YA THINK?!?

Instead, you called it disinformation when people called you out on it. But just like with covid, "our bad - don't hold us responsible for our emotions."

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/09/05/biden-says-they-shouldve-called-the-inflation-reduction-act-what-it-is-n2400582

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #289 on: September 10, 2024, 09:18:01 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2024, 09:48:34 AM »
Experts Warn Hurricane In Hurricane Alley During Hurricane Season Clear Sign Of Climate Change
https://babylonbee.com/news/experts-warn-hurricane-forming-in-hurricane-alley-during-hurricane-season-is-clear-sign-of-climate-change
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi