Author Topic: GLOBAL WARMING ==> CLIMATE CHANGE ==> GLOOM & DOOM !!!!!  (Read 17805 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
GLOBAL WARMING ==> CLIMATE CHANGE ==> GLOOM & DOOM !!!!!
« on: April 02, 2023, 03:13:15 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/long-dormant-lake-reappeared-california-bringing-havoc-rcna75942

This just in -- a lake bed has filled with water -- just as it has done for centuries. CLIMATE CHAAAAAAANGE!!!

I'm sure I would feel differently if I lived there -- but I don't, and I wouldn't, because in my neanderthal mentality building in a flood plain is dumb. Back in the early 1970s I took a graduate-level course in planning, in which the instructor correctly noted that everybody competes to build infrastructure (roads, railroads, houses, factories, and towns) where it's easiest to do so. And it just happens that the easiest place is more often than not the flood plans, because they are generally fairly flat and level.

But once you put infrastructure in a flood plain, you then have to deal with -- [drumroll, please] -- flooding.

The only real surprise here is that anyone is surprised that a LAKE is filling up with water when snow in its watershed area melts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: GLOBAL WARMING ==> CLIMATE CHANGE ==> GLOOM & DOOM !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 03:26:20 PM »
We just broke a record from 1899: most consecutive days below 60deg. It was 150 days, and we're at I think 154 right now. Which means the same thing happened for pretty much the same amount of time, in 1899. As well as many other years between then and now. Mentioning the years with ~145 days doesn't contribute to the OMG! stories though.

Weather is weather. Climate is climate. Earth Abides.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 04:06:52 PM »
Some things you really can't control, but each time I moved, I checked out the area and verified where the flood plains were. Likewise "known" underground pipelines and possible "right of ways" for roads and railroads.

I didn't build or buy in several places because of this type of uncertainty. There's a very large dam nearby, and I made sure that not only am I upstream, I'm WELL above (actually, over 100 ft above) the level of the dam spillway.

It would seem from the story that many Californians didn't do similar due diligence.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 11:14:37 AM »
So what I take away from it is:
-less pistachios and almonds.  OK, fine.
-those farms are under water, so they will not be consuming water from the Colorado River.
-the land under these farms has subsided nearly 30 feet due to drinking out the aquifers.  One might hope that a good bit of this flood water will recharge the aquifers in the region.
-there will be considerable silt migration.  In some ways a fast moving flood could strip top soil away and ruin farmland, but silt deposit could also reinvigorate farmland.

Seems to me California is missing a huge opportunity here.  It's time to re-establish Tulare lake.  Turn it into a reservoir and be a good custodian of its drainage and capacities.  If Tulare lake used to be the largest fresh water body west of the Mississippi and existed naturally, what numb *expletive deleted*ck decided to drain it, then turn it into farmland, and irrigate it from a sandstone riverbed 200 miles away (Lakes Mead and Havasu and the Colorado River)?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 05:15:15 PM »
Seems to me California is missing a huge opportunity here.  It's time to re-establish Tulare lake.  Turn it into a reservoir and be a good custodian of its drainage and capacities.

This would lessen the California state government's ability to claim they are in a major drought the next time there is string of sunny days.  Got to have as many crises as possible to beat down their subjects.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 05:18:34 PM »
Commiefornia has long had more of a water storage problem than a water shortage problem.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 05:23:28 PM »
Commiefornia has long had more of a water storage problem than a water shortage problem.

Exactly right. I forget the name of the project, but it was a single reservoir/dam, that had it been built, would have made every drought since a nothingburger. The proposal was even backed by Gov Moonbeam during his first stint back in 1975. The enviros still killed it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 01:56:25 PM »
What climate change?  Is this one different from the last four climate swings we've had in the past half million years?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 02:11:20 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 02:27:00 PM »
What climate change?  Is this one different from the last four climate swings we've had in the past half million years?

As one of the few here that would remember those what is your opinion?
 :old:

:rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 03:08:30 PM »
Quote from: 230RN

My answer is "No." The problem is that they confuse "climate change" with "climate."

When people start lecturing me about "climate change," I ask if they know how Greenland got its name. They don't of course. When I point out that the Vikings called it "Greenland" because it was, like, green, and that the Vikings had lived an agrarian society on Greenland from around 900 A.D. to around 1400 A.D. -- they get glassy eyed. When I mention that the Vikings finally abandoned Greenland because it got too cold, their brains lock up.

When it gets too hot to farm on Greenland, come talk to me about global warmulating.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2023, 03:09:52 PM »

As one of the few here that would remember those what is your opinion?
 :old:

:rofl:

In the 1970s its was global cooling that was going to kill us.
By the 1990s it was global warming that was now going to kill us.
Does that count?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 03:22:44 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 12:04:28 PM »
John Kerry says US farmers must radically transform food production to meet 'net zero' emissions goals by 2030
https://thepostmillennial.com/john-kerry-says-us-farmers-must-radically-transform-food-production-to-meet-net-zero-emissions-goals-by-2030
Some quotable stuff in this OpEd, but not sure how much. 

I did see this down toward the bottom.
During his talk, Kerry thanked his "buddy" Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture, who also pioneered plans to prioritize federal agriculture loans based on race and moved to withdraw school lunch funding from school districts that didn't allow male students to use girls' bathrooms and locker rooms. Vilsak defended his race-based approach to funding farmers by saying, essentially, that discriminating against white farmers in the present is a way to correct discrimination against black farmers in the past. A court disagreed.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 02:09:27 PM »
John Kerry says US farmers must radically transform food production to meet 'net zero' emissions goals by 2030
https://thepostmillennial.com/john-kerry-says-us-farmers-must-radically-transform-food-production-to-meet-net-zero-emissions-goals-by-2030
Some quotable stuff in this OpEd, but not sure how much. 

I did see this down toward the bottom.

"15 million people are dying every single year around this planet as a consequence of greenhouse gas emissions," Kerry continued.

Source and methodology, Mr Kerry?

If laws were passed to force this through in major countries (except for Russia, China, and India, of course), I can't help but wonder if we won't be getting all our food via African child slave labor, just like with cobalt and rare earths.

No mining in the US because NIMBY.
No food production in the US because NIMBY.
No petroleum production in the US because NIMBY.
No pharmaceutical production in the US because we're idiots.

We will be held hostage via outsourcing.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2023, 03:36:00 PM »

If laws were passed to force this through in major countries (except for Russia, China, and India, of course), I can't help but wonder if we won't be getting all our food via African child slave labor, just like with cobalt and rare earths.

Seems to me there are factions in the U.S. dedicated to forcing us into Third World status. Their motivations are unclear to me.

Terry, 230RN
"Actually, you're much safer with me with a gun than you are with me without a gun."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2023, 03:37:36 PM »
"John Kerry says US farmers must radically transform food production to meet 'net zero' emissions goals by 2030"

In other words, for wokeness, equity, and environment, farmers must:

1. Stop growing as much food as they do.

2. Stop selling food to white racist fascist devils.

3. Let nature take its course.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2023, 09:06:19 PM »
Related

The US is among the cleanest. "Shocking" I know.

World's most polluted countries REVEALED - and the worst might surprise you…
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12144455/Worlds-polluted-countries-REVEALED-worst-surprise-you.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2023, 10:38:42 PM »
The Governator wants to rebrand climate change into pollution.

https://www.thewrap.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-rebrand-climate-change-pollution/

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2023, 10:48:20 PM »

:rofl:  =D Good one !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2023, 01:44:42 AM »
Related

The US is among the cleanest. "Shocking" I know.

World's most polluted countries REVEALED - and the worst might surprise you…
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12144455/Worlds-polluted-countries-REVEALED-worst-surprise-you.html

What's polluting Greenland?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2023, 09:25:02 AM »
Campfires made with dried musk ox and polar bear dung.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2023, 10:29:18 AM »
I was thinking some of it in Africa might be dust and dry conditions, but I imagine some of these countries have dirtier fuel, poor engine emissions standards for vehicles and small engines, low standards for the bigger factories and power stations as well.  I guess that adds up.  Judging by the article, I am not sure if this study sought to determine the cause of the particulate at all. 

When I did the emissions reporting for a small plant some years ago, we had to report particulate emissions for every emissions point.  You expect it for the exhaust stacks, but it also is reported for stuff like steam vents on deaerators and the cooling towers which are largely just water vapor.  Chemicals are added to steam systems and cooling water systems to prevent corrosion and that stuff ends up going out the vent. 
I figure most of our improvement is motor vehicle emissions standards and cleaner fuel. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2023, 04:17:28 PM »

All those igloo fireplaces, it's cold there  :P

Believe that's a measurement of the air pollution experience by the populous. The majority of Greenland pop is probably concentrated in just a few small areas thus concentrating the population experienced by that pop which drives the numbers up.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 04:37:44 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2023, 05:11:54 PM »
GLOBAL WARMING ==> CLIMATE CHANGE ==> GLOOM & DOOM !

Just choose whatever animal you wish, look for its droppings, and you have just found the truth of this.  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2023, 08:18:23 AM »
Probably related from the NIMBY perspective and alternative energy:

Just saw on the teevee that China controls 44% of world lithium production and the US controls 2%.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 08:26:28 AM »
Probably related from the NIMBY perspective and alternative energy:

Just saw on the teevee that China controls 44% of world lithium production and the US controls 2%.

I think this is because our fed.gov is currently doing its very best to discourage and even prevent resource extraction.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.