Author Topic: Baby boxes in Florida  (Read 284 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Baby boxes in Florida
« on: April 11, 2023, 03:38:09 PM »
https://apnews.com/article/baby-boxes-florida-7a6dd3598f9c8a37be5c913572abdd62  This is the first I had heard of a debate on baby boxes.  Washington does not have baby boxes, but provides for being able to hand your baby to a person at the emergency department, fire station or rural health clinic (https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/safety/safety-newborn-law).  It has really cut down on newborns being abandoned in the trash or outside.  We would all want our children to be born into loving homes with loving parents, but I would prefer a baby box as an alternative to abandonment.

When my wife and I were in Europe last year, the tour guides showed us a couple of churches that had a turntable built into the wall. You could anonymously put your baby on the turntable, turn it and then ring a bell and that would signal to the people inside to come check the turntable.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Baby boxes in Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 04:25:16 PM »
I recall hearing the Houston Fire Dept does that.  I don't know if they still do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 05:24:13 PM »
It seems like this will probably pass, and all the kerfuffle is just a couple folks in a nonprofit?

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 06:14:16 PM »
I think those have been in AZ (metro Phoenix?) for years at firestations.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 07:53:41 PM »
"When my wife and I were in Europe last year, the tour guides showed us a couple of churches that had a turntable built into the wall. You could anonymously put your baby on the turntable, turn it and then ring a bell and that would signal to the people inside to come check the turntable. "

That scenario showed up on an episode of MASH in the 1970s. Convent, turntable, bell, whole scenario.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 07:58:14 PM »
^^^Wow.  The churches we saw were built in the Middle Ages so the concept has been around for a while.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 07:43:44 AM »
Yep. IIRC, the story line was an unwed Korean mother came into the 4077 with a mixed-race baby. Can't remember if she abandoned the baby or not.

Apparently the Koreans were extremely... not accepting... of mixed race children. Father Mulcahey says that mixed-race Korean children were generally ostracized, the girls sometimes killed, the boys often emasculated.

They ended up taking the baby to a Catholic convent...

Ah, here we go. The episode synopsis.

https://mash.fandom.com/wiki/Yessir,_That%E2%80%99s_Our_Baby_(TV_series_episode)

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 08:52:52 AM »
I shot trap with a young man (19 or 20 years old) that was the first in Illinois program for abandoned infants and I know his adoptive parents. So it’s been here for that long.
What we have here is failure to communicate.