Author Topic: How to remove pet urine stains from carpet  (Read 394 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
How to remove pet urine stains from carpet
« on: April 18, 2023, 09:22:01 AM »
Our latest rescue dog, whom we have had for 15 months, occasionally marks his territory by peeing on the carpet when he is unattended in the bedroom.  I have used Folex to saturate and then blotting, scrubbing on my hands and knees with brushes and microfiber cloths, various pet urine sprays and the carpet cleaning machine with 'pet stain' cleaning concentrate.  The carpet looks clean in daylight, but under a black light, you can still see the fluorescent urine stains on the surface of the carpet. 

Does the Collective know of any particularly effective pet stain removal products?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: How to remove pet urine stains from carpet
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 09:25:38 AM »
When I had cats I used Nature's Miracle. Seemed to work okay.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 09:36:45 AM »
Step 1: Remove carpet
Step 2: install attractive hard surface flooring
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 09:40:07 AM »

This.

Or take off and nuke from orbit.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 09:46:58 AM »
Saturate entire carpet with pee to even it out. Or throw out the black light.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 09:48:58 AM »
When I had cats I used Nature's Miracle. Seemed to work okay.

Brad

Just make sure you get the dog version if you have a dog
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 09:52:57 AM »
Also, keep in mind that the carpet surface is just the tip of the iceberg. Chances are the pad is soaked, too. Pads take forever to dry and are almost impossible to get clean and odor-free once the deed is done. The flooring underneath will need to be treated as well. If you're on a slab you'll need to soak the offending area in enzyme for several hours for it to have enough time to penetrate.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 10:08:33 AM »
Also, keep in mind that the carpet surface is just the tip of the iceberg. Chances are the pad is soaked, too. Pads take forever to dry and are almost impossible to get clean and odor-free once the deed is done. The flooring underneath will need to be treated as well. If you're on a slab you'll need to soak the offending area in enzyme for several hours for it to have enough time to penetrate.

Brad

This. You need an extractor of some type - a carpet cleaner like one of the Bissell machines, or even a shop vac.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 10:14:57 AM »
^^^I have a Bissell Little Green spot cleaner, a Rug Doctor Tru Deep carpet cleaner and a Bissell TurboClean powerbrush pet machine.  I have used all three of them to extract and I just don't know what else I can or should be doing to fix the problem.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 10:18:50 AM »
Oxy will help with any remaining organic material and probably get rid if the stuff you're picking up with UV light. Be careful, though, it can affect colors. Mix up a small amount in water, soak the offending area, let sit for a half hour, and clean as usual taking care to thoroughly rinse (several times).

Brad
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 10:26:31 AM »
Big issue with the enzyme formulas is that they often don't work if there's any kind of cleaner residue in or on the surface of the material being treated but there are chemical versions that do the same thing.

This seems to work well in my case. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002XJ11E?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Here's the dog ver https://www.amazon.com/Thornell-DO-Odor-Off-Carpet-Concentrate/dp/B07J64CG35/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1FY0LNW22KKKJ&keywords=THORNELL%2Bdog&qid=1681827930&sprefix=thornell%2Bdog%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-4&th=1
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 10:34:19 AM »
I don't have a urine problem, but I occasionally have a vomit/regurgitation problem. I generally use the nature's miracle that states it's for vomit, then follow up with some really good carpet cleaner that I got from the guys who did the carpets here just before I moved my stuff in. It's in a plain spray bottle unfortunately, so I don't know the name, but it's good stuff.

The above generally does good with regurgitation. With vomit, I have to follow up with the Hoover steam cleaner because there always seems to be a residual odor from the vomit that could otherwise last for days.

I'm open to any tips on vomit removal.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 11:00:28 AM »
Wait...

You're not smelling urine?

You're only "seeing it" under black light?

How about in regular light?

If you've been that rigorous in cleaning the spots where there have been urine stains, I'm thinking you're not seeing urine at all.

You're seeing a combination of cleaning solutions, changes to the fiber of the carpet caused by abrasion, etc., that are giving you false positives.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 11:08:14 AM »
^^^Hmm, interesting theory.  Under the black light, you can see the irregular shaped splotches consistent with dog urination, so I was assuming it was residual urine.  I wonder if I should make a few extraction passes using just plain hot water to rinse.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 11:40:51 AM »
When you do get around to replacing the carpet take some time and paint the area with Kilz primer before laying the new flooring down.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 12:11:42 PM »

Yep. The only way is to blast off and nuke it from orbit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 12:34:56 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2023, 04:49:52 PM »
My wife uses 3% H2O2 with baking soda.  Supposedly hydrogen peroxide oxidizes components in the urine.  It seems to work, though it might damage certain surfaces.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2023, 11:57:24 PM »
I've heard the peroxide works well too. I used to put a slurry of baking soda on it and leave it sit a few days. The last of my carpet left almost two years after my last dog died. That was the only time it was over. Beautiful old oak underneath thankfully.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.