Author Topic: New York City parking garage collapses  (Read 616 times)

MechAg94

• friend
New York City parking garage collapses
« on: April 18, 2023, 07:04:06 PM »
New York City parking garage collapses, leaving multiple people injured, 1 dead
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-city-parking-garage-collapses-leaving-multiple-people-injured-trapped

Not sure why it happened, but prayers for the victims and their families. 

A parking garage in Manhattan partially collapsed Tuesday afternoon, leaving multiple people injured and at least one person confirmed dead.

Local reports say the parking garage is located at 57 Ann Street between Nassau Street and William Street. The floors of the four-story building reportedly collapsed around 4:15 p.m., sending cars crashing below.

Fire officials said six workers were in the building. Of these, four were transferred to the hospital in stable condition, one refused medical attention, and one person was confirmed dead. Everyone else inside the parking lot is believed to be accounted for.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: New York City parking garage collapses
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 08:38:06 PM »
I blame Trump and the NRA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 08:59:39 PM »
I have trouble believing this. I have been told my entire life (well most of it) that people in Manhattan did not drive cars because there was no where to park them.

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 09:17:53 PM »
I have trouble believing this. I have been told my entire life (well most of it) that people in Manhattan did not drive cars because there was no where to park them.

Well there used to be
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 09:52:58 PM »
Heck of a good design - here's an image of the garage before the collapse. I feel sorry for the guys parked at the lower left and upper left corners of the top floor. Maybe it's valet parking and they'll jockey other cars around while retrieving those blocked in?

Wonder when this ramp was built.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 10:18:28 PM »
I think we all know what happened.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 11:12:31 PM »
Most parking garages in NYC are valet parking.

In another lifetime I worked for an AE (architecture and engineering) firm that specialized in repairs to existing buildings. Many of our projects were parking garages, and some were rather terrifying. Parking structures are almost all reinforced concrete. The floor slabs are designed to be the minimum possible thickness, both to save weight (which saves money) and the minimize the height of a multi-level structure.

The problem is that in northeast, where they use salt on the roads in winter, cars pick up wet salt slush as they drive, and then drip the salty solution onto the concrete while they're parked. The salt soaks into the concrete and corrodes the reinforcing steel. It's a recipe for disaster, but many developers prefer to roll the dice and skip putting a protective coating on the top of the slabs, probably on the theory that they'll sell the structure before it becomes enough of a problem to require expensive repairs -- or just give up and collapse.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 11:25:32 PM »
^^^Since I like to learn something every day, what would be an example of a protective coating? Something as simple as paint?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 11:52:50 PM »
I think we all know what happened.

There can be only one.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 12:11:07 AM »
^^^Since I like to learn something every day, what would be an example of a protective coating? Something as simple as paint?

Usually in commercial concrete floors they use a coating like polyaspartic, polyurea, or epoxy
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 07:15:09 AM »
Usually in commercial concrete floors they use a coating like polyaspartic, polyurea, or epoxy
I'm pretty sure they make rebar with a corrosion-resistant coating as well. My understanding is that it isn't perfect, but it does extend the life of the structure considerably. 3M sells polyolefin fibers to reinforce concrete - they reduce cracking, but I don't know if they actually take the place of rebar.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2023, 07:20:14 AM »
Are we sure that the Chinese Police didn't cause it?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2023, 07:26:11 AM »
Are we sure that the Chinese Police didn't cause it?

Worse, Democrats
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2023, 07:49:08 AM »
Worse, Democrats
Isn't being a Democrat the #1 requirement to get a patronage job as a building inspector in places like NYC, Chicago, etc.?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2023, 10:48:09 AM »
Worse, Democrats

Aren't they the same thing?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2023, 11:04:47 AM »
From the article:

Mayor Adams said there were no open violations on the structure, which dates to 1957.

What were they even using for rebar and structural support 66 years ago?  For that matter what was the concrete mix compared to what we are using today?  It's pretty hard to effectively repair failing internal structure in reinforced concrete.  (Not impossible, but difficult and expensive).

This might just be a case of building aged out, and in NYC it's too difficult and/or expensive to get permission to tear it down and build a new one.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »
From the article:

Mayor Adams said there were no open violations on the structure, which dates to 1957.

Mixed info on the violations

NYC Department of Buildings records show that the parking garage located at 57 Ann Street had 19 violations that had been completed or defaulted on and another four that remained open, requiring a certificate of correction. WABC reported that the same parking garage, owned by 57 Ann Street Realty Association, based in Great Neck, New York, had 64 violations with the Department of Buildings dating back to 1976. Fox News Digital reached out to the buildings department on Wednesday seeking clarification.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-deadly-parking-garage-collapse-building-4-active-violations-cause-pancaked-structure-unclear

What is meant by defaulted on?
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 11:16:42 AM »

What is meant by defaulted on?

The bribes to the building inspectors were on a payment plan, and they stopped paying.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »

This might just be a case of building aged out, and in NYC it's too difficult and/or expensive to get permission to tear it down and build a new one.

This.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2023, 06:29:50 PM »

Paint would be slightly better than nothing, but only very slightly. Paint doesn't stand up well to traffic. Coatings like these (there are several other brands, too, these are just examples) are far better:

https://usa.sika.com/en/construction/repair-protection/traffic-coatings.html

https://www.pecora.com/traffic-coatings/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design