Author Topic: Zach Snyder's Justice League  (Read 448 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Zach Snyder's Justice League
« on: May 08, 2023, 10:01:11 AM »
Finally had a chance to watch it. It is a far, far better movie in every way than the Justice League theatrical release. More character development, better backgrounding, more coherent storyline, etc.. It still suffers from DC's propensity to try and stuff 10 pounds of movie in a five pound bag, but unlike the incoherent mess it replaces it's at least reasonably enjoyable. The added runtime gives the movie room to breath. Snyder uses it wisely, fleshing out character arcs and storylines in a way which ties everything together and smooths out the flow. The darker tone better suits the material, too.

Is this version now a great movie? No, but the rehash takes it from "That was awful" to "Okay, it's decent.". It's enjoyable enough that it feels much shorter than its four hour runtime. If you watched the original and thought "I really wanted to enjoy this but just couldn't because it's a mess", give this one a spin.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 10:51:33 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Zach Snyder's Justice League
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 10:04:39 AM »
So, we're up to what....

32,757 "super hero"movies, with the number growing exponentially every year?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 10:11:06 AM »
So, we're up to what....

32,757 "super hero"movies, with the number growing exponentially every year?

Bread and circuses.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 10:24:47 AM »
GOOD super hero movies are like hen's teeth now, they're all just bland and boring nowadays. Marvel had a good run until Disney decided that pushing "The Message" down your throat in all of their movies was far more important than making an enjoyable movie.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 10:35:23 AM »
They're really running out of ideas for these superhero movies . . . not only has the novelty worn off, they're even hiring hack directors to make them. Case in point, 2022's  "The Batman" was an unmitigated piece of trash with terrible acting, dialog, and some of the worst cinematography I've seen in a long time.

I expect nearly all movies will get worse as the Motion Picture Association has mandated racial/ethnic/homo quotas in all phases of moviemaking for a film to even be considered for an award. Seeing as cr@pol@ movies seem to get most of the Oscar nominations anyway, maybe some studios and directors will just say "The heck with the MPA" and try to make good movies the audiences will actually like.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 10:38:29 AM »
Do they want to win awards or make bank at the box office?
I'm not sure they can do both anymore.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »
Yeah, these comic book movies were fun when they first came out, but it's oversaturation now. I have probably not seen at least the last half dozen or dozen of them by now, and don't really have any desire too.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 10:43:13 AM »
Do they want to win awards or make bank at the box office?
I'm not sure they can do both anymore.

Well to win awards just have to met the "inclusiveness requirements going in effect.

Article say 2025 but I read 2024 elsewhere

According to the Academy’s new regulations, which will come into effect for the 2025 Oscars, films seeking best picture nominations must meet two out of four requirements.

The requirements include having at least one lead character in the movie be from an “an underrepresented racial or ethnic group”, having at least 30% of the general ensemble cast be from at least two underrepresented groups (women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+ people or people with disabilities), or having the movie’s subject focus on one of those groups.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/may/06/richard-dreyfuss-says-oscar-diversity-rules-make-me-vomit
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 11:20:15 AM »
Yeah, these comic book movies were fun when they first came out, but it's oversaturation now. I have probably not seen at least the last half dozen or dozen of them by now, and don't really have any desire too.

The only one I have ANY interest in seeing is Deadpool 3.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 11:22:05 AM »
Well to win awards just have to met the "inclusiveness requirements going in effect.

Article say 2025 but I read 2024 elsewhere
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/may/06/richard-dreyfuss-says-oscar-diversity-rules-make-me-vomit

Richard Dreyfuss went absolutely NUTS on the new wokeness mandates. Said they want to make him vomit and a lot of other less than complimentary observations about the new mandates.

His movie career is now officially over.

And, I'm betting that some are going to clamor for his movies to be erased and any awards he's been give to be rescinded.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/richard-dreyfuss-criticizes-new-diversity-requirements-for-oscar-contention-they-make-me-vomit/ar-AA1aTNmN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 12:12:52 PM »
I think audiences are getting tired of this stuff.  The last few movies have been bad.  The recent Ant Man movie did horribly at the box office. 

I went and saw the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie last weekend.  I liked it.  I hear many saying it is the best movie in a while.  James Gunn made it and he is at Warner with DC now.  However, I think it is trending below expectations so far.

On the OP, I agree.  The Snyder cut of Justice League was much better.  I still don't like the casting for Flash and making him a snot nosed kid character.  I didn't like having him turn back time at the end.  I think it would have been better if he just sucked it up and made it on time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 03:08:07 PM »
Bread and circuses.

That's what the Left has been doing for decades to keep most people distracted from their efforts to run this country down.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 03:10:20 PM »
Couple things I heard mentioned: 
First, A lot of the early Marvel movies were made with rather modest budgets compared to what they are doing now.  $60MM or maybe $100MM.  They also didn't gross a huge amount, but were still considered successes as they made a decent profit.  Part of Disney Marvel's issue is they are starting with larger budgets, then they are doing a lot of reshoots and redoing the CGI to the point the budgets are bloated.  If they were being efficient with their budgets, the money they are making might be enough to stay profitable.   

Second, there is some inflation at work here from what I hear.  The ticket prices are higher on average.  I have heard it said that the number of people actually seeing these movies is down, but the money still looks good at least in some cases which has hidden how poorly the movies have done since End Game.

On the story telling side, I think Marvel screwed up.  They wrote themselves into a hole with the End Game movie and killed off major characters that people liked.  Then they undermined other remaining characters and failed at introducing new ones. 

There was only about 20 people in the theater with me watching Guardians of the Galaxy 3.  It was a 4 PM showing, but it was still opening weekend.  They did seem to have a dozen showings per day so maybe that was part of it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2023, 07:12:33 PM »
Couple things I heard mentioned: 
First, A lot of the early Marvel movies were made with rather modest budgets compared to what they are doing now.  $60MM or maybe $100MM.  They also didn't gross a huge amount, but were still considered successes as they made a decent profit.  Part of Disney Marvel's issue is they are starting with larger budgets, then they are doing a lot of reshoots and redoing the CGI to the point the budgets are bloated.  If they were being efficient with their budgets, the money they are making might be enough to stay profitable . . .
In the same vein - the production budget for the first Star Wars movie was only around 11 million dollars, a paltry sum by current standards. Even with inflation, it makes you wonder where all the added dollars are going today. (OK, into someone's pocket, of course. Duh.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2023, 08:54:42 PM »
GOTG3 is looking pretty good for an opening weekend. I don't go to the theater but will watch it once it hits other options. I have seen the original Justice Leage a few times. The long version is much better but due to length, I've only seen it once.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 09:16:58 PM »
In the same vein - the production budget for the first Star Wars movie was only around 11 million dollars, a paltry sum by current standards. Even with inflation, it makes you wonder where all the added dollars are going today. (OK, into someone's pocket, of course. Duh.)

I heard a comment recently saying making movies is pretty much an art form.  Big Corporations don't do art.  It runs completely against their makeup. 

That fits Disney to a tee.  Most all of their successful movies over the last 20 years are properties they acquired.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 09:20:56 PM »
I heard a comment recently saying making movies is pretty much an art form.  Big Corporations don't do art.  It runs completely against their makeup. 

That fits Disney to a tee.  Most all of their successful movies over the last 20 years are properties they acquired.

Yep, you could see the life getting sucked out of Pixar after Disney bought them with their movies becoming more and more lifeless.
- Calvin and Hobbes