Author Topic: Have you ever had a near death experience?  (Read 1098 times)

Pb

• friend
Have you ever had a near death experience?
« on: June 05, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »
Have you ever had a near death experience?  I haven't but would appreciate hearing yours if you want to share it.  I've started thinking more and more about my own mortality.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Have you ever had a near death experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 02:00:13 PM »
Nothing like a light at the end of the tunnel but I had a few that I knew I was done absent some luck and good decisions. Made me think. I thought for a split second once my back was broke in a race car deal. Was a pretty hard hit.

The others were in the same month when I was about 40. I headed the ol John Deere down a hill that a 4wd couldn’t drive up. I had no implements on the back to drop. Popped out of gear and I missed the jump off and live point. When you hear and feel the water in the tires spin up you done screwed up. I held on tight and tried to keep the wheels straight. Luckily nothing broke. I claim the John Deere lane speed record. The hill was about 200’ vertical drop.

Later that month I was on the beach in North Carolina. I was swimming out past the breakers where I usually do. About the time I got really tired and remembered I wasn’t 19 the beach started getting smaller. A lot of effort to get back.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 02:57:49 PM »
In my 20s I barely missed getting smeared all over the road by a speeding, unobservant truck driver. He jumped lanes right in front of me to miss a turning vehicle. If I hadn't been paying attention and gone ditch hopping, it would have been a head on 80+ mph. Close enough it left a scratch on the very tip of my driver-side sideview mirror. Adrenaline was flowing pretty freely for a few minutes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 03:15:08 PM »
16 years old, May 1st, 1978. Street racing on motorcycles. T-boned a Chevy Chevette. Highway patrol estimated my speed at impact as 80mph, I think it was probably closer to 70.
I remember everything right up to the moment of impact then waking up in the ditch. One and only time I rode in an ambulance. 120+ stitches in my face, a few abrasions, cuts and many painful bruises and one boot of a brand new pair of Redwing boots destroyed. I slept in my own bed that night.
The Chevette was totaled, the bike technically was also but I pieced it back together over the Summer and rode it again.

Another close call happened when I was working on my old Allis Chalmers CA tractor. I had been having some electrical issues after converting to to 12 volt.
I was standing beside the tractor in front of the operator platform beside the left rear tire and hit the starter. It started right up but I had apparently left it in gear. I managed to kill it just as it pinned my right foot under the tire. My foot wasn't hurt yet, just pinned. Had it not responded to the kill switch I suspect I would have been good and squished. I put it in neutral and rolled it off my foot and sat down a shook for a few minutes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 03:17:37 PM »
Near death, yes.  Experience ... well, I don't have any memories from that day or the next couple, so no help there.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 03:32:59 PM »
I was standing beside the tractor in front of the operator platform beside the left rear tire and hit the starter. It started right up but I had apparently left it in gear.

Couple of guys killed in my hometown last year from the same thing, only it wasn't a little CA. Pretty sure the tractors tires did the deed, but the tandem disk on back made sure it was complete.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 03:34:53 PM »
Couple of guys killed in my hometown last year from the same thing, only it wasn't a little CA. Pretty sure the tractors tires did the deed, but the tandem disk on back made sure it was complete.

Brad

Killed AND mulched, ouch.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 03:35:56 PM »
Every Monday morning when my alarm goes off an I have to get up for work.

Oh, wait, that's a near hell experience.

Never mind.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 03:38:16 PM »
 =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »
Killed AND mulched, ouch.

In that order, one hopes.

I got too close to a tornado once, if that counts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 04:15:17 PM »
I could have died a few times except for possibly one minor thing to break the chain but I didn't so I don't consider those near death experiences, just experiences.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 05:36:26 PM »
I haven't, but I have met and shared a beer with this guy: https://www.amazon.com/Saved-Light-Profound-Revelations-Received/dp/0061662453
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2023, 07:19:12 PM »
Have you ever had a near death experience?  I haven't but would appreciate hearing yours if you want to share it.  I've started thinking more and more about my own mortality.

The whole outside the body, going to the light, and Jesus* saying "don worry yousef none, son, is gon be all right." thing-- never had that.

Close brushes with death, yes.  I lost track of how many times I might have gotten splatted, a long time ago.  One memorable one.  Back in the '80s sometime, worked at UIUC main library.  Was biking to work one day, moderately zoned out, was ready to cross University Avenue.  It's one of the main east west drags through town, about a half mile from where I worked, and the top edge of the UI campus.  Whoosh!  Some guy careens down University Ave at high speed, wrong side of the street, kind of bouncing off the curb as he travelled.  And passed about a yard in front of me. 

I've started thinking more and more about my own mortality.

Done a fair bit of contemplation of it, myself.

(*or something pretending to be Jesus)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:12:22 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 08:26:33 PM »
i've told this one before. Coming north on I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver, sudden big pile-up right in front of me, cars spun around, all lanes blocked including the barricade space next to the left lane,  no stopping room, and I thought that was it.  I blanked out somehow and suddenly I was looking back in my mirror to see car parts flying around and I drove on, confused. 
I do not know how I made it through that pileup. I don't remember hitting the brakes, or anything.

Just one second it was in front of me, the next second it was still happening behind me.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 12:01:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 08:45:49 PM »
When I was 15, I laid in the dirt with a broken back for an unknown length of time, drifting in and out of consciousness after getting bucked off a 250cc race bike.  Woke up being dragged onto a board and loaded into the back of a pickup truck.  Not really near death, and I was much to young to learn anything from it.
7-11 was a part time job.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2023, 10:53:52 AM »
December 1968.  I had the Hong Kong flu.  Never been that sick before or after.  One minute lying in bedin misery and a second later I was floating up near the ceiling looking down at myself in bed. Then I was back in bed again.
I've had a couple other close calls, but nothing ever like the aforementioned .
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 07:00:49 PM »
Glad you came back, grampster!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 11:08:39 AM »
Around July, 1985, ferrying a PV-1 Ventura from C.E. Page airport in Yukon, OK, to my shop in New Bedford, MA, a fuel tank in the right wing busted open and av gas began flooding the cabin, I stuffed most of the clothes I had in my suitcase in the gaps between the wing and the cabin. 'Twas to no avail, since the tank only held 40 gallons and it emptied itself faster than I could stem the flow. Fortunately, as old as the bomber was, it had plenty of loose panels that quickly allowed the fuel to drain. The pilot had the sense to feather the right engine to avert any possibility of igniting the fuel.

The worst part was that we were VFR (Visual Flight Rules) over a cloud bank, and had to circle down through it and broke out about a thousand feet above ground. Fortunately, there was an airport within range of our decent.

Another time was having been rear-ended and not realizing I had sustained a brain bleed at the time. I stumbled around for a couple months, then had a blackout while driving, and came to with my wife shaking me and I woke soon enough to slam on the brakes before I rear-ended someone myself! She took me to the hospital right then and there. The surgeon found that a subdural hematoma had pushed my brain 3/4 of an inch to the right, restricting blood flow to certain parts of my brain. Surgery was successful. Here I am.

I have to say, though, the worst near death experience I had was when my first ex wife asked me if I wanted to have sex with her for old times sake. . . . . I ran.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 11:50:49 AM »
I can't find the complete skit anymore (it used to be on Comedy Central) but this clip captures most of it =)

https://twitter.com/DemetriMartin/status/1186690606807969792?lang=en
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 01:18:24 PM »
PV-1 Ventura?  I had the pleasure of flying around in a PV-2 Harpoon for a while when I lived in Colorado Springs.  A group of guys bought it and we flew it to airshows in Colorado, Utah and Oklahoma.  The was after my time in the AZ wing of the CAF.

As far a a near-death experience, I've had a couple or three over the years.  The one that really stuck with me was seeing a couple of guys in big work trucks racing down a two-lane road north of Phoenix in 1986.  Early morning dark, and all I could see was two pairs of headlights, side by side.  They were headed right for me and I had to swerve off the road onto the shoulder.  Started doing 360s at something over 50 mph, expecting the right side wheels to catch a bump and start the car rolling.  I was driving a '77 Toyota Celica.
I had no doubt that I was living the last few seconds of my life at the time.  I couldn't help thinking what a stupid way to go, dying because of a couple of dumbasses doing something exceedingly dumb.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 05:28:54 PM »
Not a "near death" but an "out of body" experience.
Back around 1971, I took off on my motorcycle (a Honda CB100) after a big argument with my parents.  I was driving down this rather dangerous 2-lane county road, barely able to see I was so angry and upset.  Suddenly, there was a crack of lightning and thunder overhead that startled me into looking up.  When I did, it was as if I was looking up into a "tunnel" of clouds.  The next thing I knew, I was up and IN the storm with the lightning and thunder all around me.  The rain and wind however, was not touching me.  It was as if I was in an invisible bubble as I could see the rain running down as if it was on a windshield.  As I looked around, I extended my arms and I could feel the energy and power of the storm flooding into me and a strange calm settled over me.
About that time, I hit a "rumble strip" on the road that was warning of an upcoming intersection, allowing me enough time to stop safely.
I went back later and re-drove that section of the road.  From the moment I looked up to the time I hit that rumble strip was between 1.25 and 1.5 miles and I don't remember seeing an inch of it.  "Somebody" was watching for me.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2023, 09:03:06 AM »
I have been reading about "near death experiences" (that is, the ones that are supposed to give a foretaste of life after death).  The issue troubling, because of how inconsistent they are.  Supposedly around 80% of the experiences are "positive" and 20% are "distressing".

Of the positive experiences, out of body experiences are common.  People frequently see dead relatives, and see a bright light.  The light is sometimes interpreted as God, Jesus, or some other being.  Some see the light as strictly impersonal.  Some people report having detailed interaction with the light.  Sometimes these comport with Christian teaching, and sometimes they don't.  There may be a "life review."  Frequently, people are told it is not their time to die, and then they return to their body.

Then there are others who may see other things, for example, Hindu deities who tell them that they are here by a clerical error; it is really someone else in the next village who is supposed to be die... and so they return.  I have read about NDEs that comport with Buddhist teachings.

And then there are the 20% of distressing NDEs... people have reported various stereotypically hellish experiences.  Some report being tormented by monstrous beings or even being menaced by geometric shapes.  Others experience being abandoned in a void.   Here is a particuraly vivid example I read about:

https://dancingpastthedark.com/articles-2/an-experience-of-the-void/

Others experience stereotypical NDE type events (floating out of the body, seeing relatives, but they are terrified by the experience.

There appears to be zero relationship between the life of a person and what their NDE is like.  You have lifers in prison having heavenly NDEs and children with hellish ones.  You even have some people with two NDEs at different times, one pleasant, one terrifying.  This is the issue I find most inexplicable, if they are supposed to be real experiences.

People respond to these NDEs in different ways.  You have atheists become fervent Christians; and Christians decide that religion doesn't mean anything, and all that is important is "love."  Most of the ones with pleasant NDEs lose their fear of death.  For the unpleasant ones, the effect is quite the opposite.  Almost everyone believes that their NDE is very real.  The only exceptions I found were some with distressing NDEs who told themselves that the experience must be a hallucinations.

You might say people see what the expect to see, but sometimes they don't.  I read a detailed NDE of a Buddhist monk that supposedly saw Buddha in hell.  And then you have Christians (like the woman in the above link) who experience things that don't comport to any Christian teachings.  There are some really weird NDEs, like this one by an atheist philosopher:

http://www.philosopher.eu/others-writings/a-j-ayer-what-i-saw-when-i-was-dead/

I have met a man who had a heavenly NDE after a car accident; and I know a doctor who had a patient terrified by a hellish one.

Frankly, given the contradictory messages from these NDEs, most reasonable explanations I can come up with is that they are hallucinations.  I find it the issue deeply disturbing.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »
I have avoided replying to this thread. My experience was very strange at the time of my fathers death and also very personal. I didn’t have the experience but I witnessed something. I think I might have posted it here once long ago.
My father was dying of pancreatic cancer at home under hospice. He fought long and hard but at the age of 60 he had been too sick to raise his head off the pillow for weeks and had been totally unresponsive for several days. We were just kind of hanging around knowing he would draw his last breath sometime very soon. It was a beautiful morning with clear skies and sun in the east facing bedroom window.
All at once he sat straight up in bed, pointed at the sunlit window and spoke. The words were not mumbled but clear words that were not English. Dad never spoke any other language in his life.
He then let out his last breath with a strange almost musical moan and slowly lowered himself back down to the pillow.
My wife was a homecare and hospice nurse at the time. Formerly critical care and med/surgical. It really shook her up because she had seen many people at their moment of death but never saw anything like that.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2023, 12:49:14 PM »
Kingcreek.
I am grateful you replied.  That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing
7-11 was a part time job.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2023, 03:00:33 PM »
Kingcreek's comment reminded me of my father's death.  He was in a Hospice facility at age 93.  He had been bedridden and comatose for several days much the same condition as Kingcreek's dad.  The evening on day before he died he sat up and called the nurses. He told them he was hungry and then he got out of bed, went into the Hospice kitchen and ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and some soup.  Drank some coffee and then walked back to his bed, lied down and went back comatose.  He passed away about 10 hours later.

The nurses told me that his behavior was, though not a frequent thing with people in the midst of dying, not unheard of and they had observed it before.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw