Author Topic: Woke Weather  (Read 768 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Woke Weather
« on: June 29, 2023, 09:47:37 AM »
I have for several years relied on the National Weather Service's forecast.weather.gov for my weather-guessing needs, and for checking on weather alerts (tornado warnings, and such). I was aware of Juneteenth before most of the wokies knew about it, so it didn't bother me, last week, to see that the NWS's 7-day forecast identified Monday as "Juneteenth."

As of now, however, the site seems unaware that Tuesday is Independence Day.

Both are federal holidays.

Now taking weather website/app recommendations!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Woke Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 04:04:29 PM »
I have high suspicion of anyone that refers to Independence Day as merely "the fourth of July."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 04:29:13 PM »
That's been an annual irk for me for decades even though I secretly consider the birth of our nation as being on December 15th, 1791:

"On December 15, 1791, Virginia became the 10th of 14 states to approve 10 of the 12 amendments, thus giving the Bill of Rights the majority of state ratification necessary to make it legal. Of the two amendments not ratified, the first concerned the population system of representation, while the second prohibited laws varying the payment of congressional members from taking effect until an election intervened. The first of these two amendments was never ratified, while the second was finally ratified more than 200 years later, in 1992."

The interval between July 4th 1776 and December 15 1791 I regard as kind of a "gestation period," with the *expletive deleted*ing of King George in 1776 as the "moment of conception."

Terry, 230RN   
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 08:31:07 PM »
That's been an annual irk for me for decades even though I secretly consider the birth of our nation as being on December 15th, 1791:

"On December 15, 1791, Virginia became the 10th of 14 states to approve 10 of the 12 amendments, thus giving the Bill of Rights the majority of state ratification necessary to make it legal. Of the two amendments not ratified, the first concerned the population system of representation, while the second prohibited laws varying the payment of congressional members from taking effect until an election intervened. The first of these two amendments was never ratified, while the second was finally ratified more than 200 years later, in 1992."

The interval between July 4th 1776 and December 15 1791 I regard as kind of a "gestation period," with the *expletive deleted*ing of King George in 1776 as the "moment of conception."

Terry, 230RN

That is not just wrong, but statist. We created a republican government for a nation that already existed. We are the nation; not the government. If you want an alternate date, 19 April '75 would be more appropriate.

griz

• friend
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• friend

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 07:57:02 AM »

That is not just wrong, but statist. We created a republican government for a nation that already existed. We are the nation; not the government. If you want an alternate date, 19 April '75 would be more appropriate.

"...secretly..."

"...I regard as kind of a 'gestation period'... "

And Statist?  My Seconds will call on you this afternoon, suh.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 09:25:50 AM »
For me Liberty Bell Day is all that.
7-11 was a part time job.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 09:39:34 AM »
We should all be celebrating June 4th.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 09:47:41 AM »
We should all be celebrating June 4th.

Tiananmen Square?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 09:52:23 AM »
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 09:55:28 AM »
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/day/june-4
Battle of Midway?

I knew that. One of my life long hobbies is studying that battle just didn't pop into my head at the moment.  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 10:02:03 AM »
I've been using https://www.wunderground.com/ for . . . ever. The phone app is great, the predictions are accurate, and the cost is like three bucks a year, IIRC.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 10:03:28 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 10:50:39 AM »
My correspondence with the NWS:

Hi!

As a regular user of the forecast.gov site, I've noticed that the NWS usually marks holidays on its 7-day forecast. The most recent example was last Monday, which the website called Juneteenth. However, this Tuesday (July 4th, Independence Day) is just marked down as Tuesday.  =(

Happy Independence Day,
Josh

Hello-

Our forecasts will apply the official name of every Federal holiday. This includes Independence Day, which will appear on forecasts starting on Saturday as we enter the month of July.

Thank you for contacting us!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2023, 10:55:43 AM »
It sounds like they're claiming that the web page populates holidays on a "per month" basis, beginning on the first of the month. I'd be willing to buy this, except that I'm almost positive that New Years Day is shown well before 01JAN.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2023, 01:13:06 PM »
Silly person...

Independence Day is a Dead White Man Day of Extreme Violence towards everyone else.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2023, 02:30:42 PM »
I can't admire Heemeyer in any way.  He accomplished nothing but commit a time-wasting, expensive, technically demanding act of childish vengeance.  It had no positive effect on anybody including himself and did not inspire anyone to higher acts of political change.

He might have held his breath until he turned blue for better effect.

A helluva "folk hero."