Author Topic: Judge stops the government from outsourcing censorship  (Read 1783 times)

dogmush

• friend
Judge stops the government from outsourcing censorship
« on: July 05, 2023, 10:54:08 AM »
I wasn't even aware of this case, but Federal Judge issued an injuction against a whole bunch of named agencies and people in the Federal government yesterday.  He found that the government pressuring social media sites to suppress First Amendment protected speech was likely a 1A violation, and most of the fed.gov can no longer have any contact with social media compaines for the purpose of content moderation or changes.  I'll be interested to see how this case ends up, and if it goest to SCOTUS.

Article here: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/04/judge-limits-biden-administration-contact-with-social-media-firms-00104656

Some quotes:
During the COVID-19 pandemic, a period perhaps best characterized by widespread doubt and uncertainty, the United States Government seems to have assumed a role similar to an Orwellian ‘Ministry of Truth

The judge’s decision cites a wide range of topics that he says “all were suppressed” on social media at the urging of administration officials, including opposition to Covid vaccines, masking, lockdowns and the lab-leak theory; opposition to the validity of the 2020 election; opposition to President Joe Biden’s and other officials’ policies; and statements claiming that the story surrounding a laptop belonging to Biden’s son Hunter Biden was true.

Each topic “suppressed” was a conservative view, which “is quite telling,” Doughty declared.

“This targeted suppression of conservative ideas is a perfect example of viewpoint discrimination of political speech,” he continued. “American citizens have the right to engage in free debate about the significant issues affecting the country … the evidence produced thus far depicts an almost dystopian scenario.”

U.S. District Court Judge Terry Doughty also issued a sweeping preliminary injunction barring numerous federal officials and agencies — including Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and all employees of the Justice Department and FBI — from having any contact with social media firms for the purpose of discouraging or removing First Amendment-protected speech.
bolding mine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Judge stops the government from outsourcing censorship
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 10:57:07 AM »
This fascist judge is attacking our democracy!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 11:33:46 AM »
The MSM is calling this a blow to disinformation mitigation, rather than calling it a blow to censorship.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 12:20:58 PM »
Well that should net us three more trump indictments. Gotta interfere with the election somehow. In reality it will just leave official channels kinda like the State department did for a few years.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 01:25:57 PM »
Contact is prohibited     " . . . for the purpose of discouraging or removing First Amendment-protected speech."

The stories I've seen on network news omitted the bolded part, making the order sound like both a 1st Amendment violation and a Separation of Powers issue.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 01:32:18 PM »
I'm sure the fed.gov will comply fully and completely with the judge's order.  Not.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »
I'm sure the fed.gov will comply fully and completely with the judge's order.  Not.
Merrick Garland's DoJ will see that the order is strictly adhered to.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 02:43:34 PM »
Mr. Biden and Mr. Garland might want to watch their step a little.  We popped America's "indict former presidents" cherry, and no one know where all the chips from that are gonna fall.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 08:00:41 PM »
The MSM is calling this a blow to disinformation mitigation, rather than calling it a blow to censorship.

One man's truth is another man's disinformation. :yawn:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design