Author Topic: WW II Biographies  (Read 1556 times)

TNGO

WW II Biographies
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:31:26 AM »
I'd like to read some biographies of American admirals and generals of World War II. Does anyone have any recommendations?

mhdishere

• friend
WW II Biographies
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 10:07:20 AM »
There are a few books out on Chesty Puller, it's hard to be better than him for a colorful character.

Preacherman

WW II Biographies
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:18:29 PM »
I assume you want biographies of those who were of general or flag rank during the war, not those who became generals or admirals after the war.  That given, here's a few to start you off (there are many, many more):

Army:

Eisenhower - Crusade In Europe
Bradley - A Soldier's Story
Patton - War As I Knew It

Navy:

E. B. Potter - Nimitz
E. B. Potter - Halsey
Lockwood - Sink 'Em All
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
WW II Biographies
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 11:37:36 AM »
Crusade in Europe is one of the worst books by a famous person I've ever read.

It's pretty evident that Eisenhower did much of the writing without benefit of an editor, and that his publishing agreement didn't allow for his manuscript to be edited for coheisiveness.

It's laborious reading, jumps around dramatically, presents a rather fractured view of Eisenhower's actions during the war.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TNGO

WW II Biographies
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 07:23:48 PM »
Preacherman, you're correct: I'm referring to generals and admirals who held that rank during the war.

To expand on my original post, I've actually read bios of the Joint Chiefs and the theater commanders already. The best of these are:

Master Of Sea Power by Thomas B. Buell, about Fleet Admiral Ernest J. King.

American Caesar by William Manchester, about Douglas MacArthur.

The aforementioned Nimitz, by E.B. Potter.

I'm in the middle of A General's Life, by Omar Bradley and Clay Blair.

What I'm looking for are bios of army, army group, air force and fleet commanders.

Sean Smith

WW II Biographies
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 04:45:44 AM »
Patton : A Genius for War by Carlo D'Este comes to mind.

Azrael256

• friend
WW II Biographies
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 02:27:01 PM »
I third the Potter books.  Also, try The Quiet Warrior by Buell.  It's a pretty good one on Spruance.  There's also a book by E. P. Forrestel on Spruance, but it's more of a strategy and tactics sort of thing.

armedcitizen

WW II Biographies
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 05:32:33 PM »
Who is the one at Bastogne who told the Germans "Nuts" when asked to surrender?  McCollough?  I'd like to find a good book by or about him.  I think he was a one star division commander at the time.  I may be wrong.

TNGO

WW II Biographies
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 07:36:54 PM »
That was Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe, artillery commander for the 101st Airborne Division. At the time of the Bulge, he was acting division CO. Maxwell Taylor, the 101st commanding general, was in the States at the time.

There's a story that McAuliffe actually gave a far stronger, two-word reply to the German emissary, which was changed to "Nuts!" in the press dispatches so that it could be printed in the papers back home!