Author Topic: Yet another room temp superconductor "breakthrough"  (Read 2006 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Yet another room temp superconductor "breakthrough"
« on: July 26, 2023, 03:54:09 PM »
...only this time it's accompanied by some actual science.

Story is making the science news circuit. Material showing superconducting properties at not only room temp, but at temps up to 127 C.

What makes this story even more interesting is the developers aren't making a bunch of claims and then clamming up on details. They've released actual methods and test results, at least enough that others should be able to make their own attempts.

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/breaking-superconductor-news

I don't doubt there will end up being many, many hiccups, qualifiers, "maybe's" and "only if's" in followup efforts, but if the initial findings pan out it will be an interesting week.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Yet another room temp superconductor "breakthrough"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 04:27:44 PM »
Hopefully it will be more believable than all the fusion reaction breakthroughs we've been hearing about lately.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 04:37:51 PM »
Hopefully it will be more believable than all the fusion reaction breakthroughs we've been hearing about lately.

Been running the house on one of these for a year now.
One banana peel and I'm good for a couple of weeks.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 10:45:08 PM »
I saw an ad somewhere on the innertube that Elon Musk is selling some gizmo you plug into an outlet and it cuts your power use in half.  If only........
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 11:42:07 PM »
I saw an ad somewhere on the innertube that Elon Musk is selling some gizmo you plug into an outlet and it cuts your power use in half.  If only........

Mmm power factor correction scam.  That's been going on a long time.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 07:47:15 AM »
About as effective as cow magnets on the gas line or the plexiglas pyramid they were selling to put above your carburetor to harness "pyramid power" and double your gas mileage.

As for the superconductors, I really hope the researchers are on the level - it's hard to see how they could benefit by faking something like Pons/Fleischman's "cold fusion" or Weber's phony "gravity wave" experiment.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 10:22:51 AM »
Dumb question.  If superconducting transmission lines were a thing, would AC power remain as the standard?  I was thinking one of the main reasons that became standard was long range power transmission with fewer losses.  Industry is heavily invested in AC infrastructure so certainly nothing would change in the short term.  I am sure when it came to the point of replacing existing transmission infrastructure, someone would be looking hard at that.   

Even if this is superconducting, it sounds like it may not handle a lot of current so the initial applications might be limited.  Might still be pretty impactful.  I want a Shipstone for my house (hopefully without the corrupt megacorporation). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 10:34:24 AM »
Before I get all excited about a new super conductor I ask

1) Can it be economically produced?
2) Can it actually be used, as in have the strength etc..., for things like power lines?
3) Will production require some element that the current admin and the dems in general will make sure we can only get from China ?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 10:40:04 AM »
"I was thinking one of the main reasons that became standard was long range power transmission with fewer losses."

Exactly. A direct current grid would have required hundreds, or even thousands, of power stations to supply the needs of a modern city. They would have had to have been located every few blocks and would have taken up a massive amount of real estate.

Another primary reason for AC winning was that it was, and is, far more flexible at supplying systems requiring different voltages.

But, we could be seeing a resurgence in DC systems with the rise of alternative sources of electric generation and storage, most of which produce DC current.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 10:58:17 AM »
Before I get all excited about a new super conductor I ask

1) Can it be economically produced?
2) Can it actually be used, as in have the strength etc..., for things like power lines?
3) Will production require some element that the current admin and the dems in general will make sure we can only get from China ?
One of the base materials is lead which we don't produce anymore.  Not that we couldn't do so if we wanted to.

From what I see in that report, it can't be used in power lines.  However, if it turns out to be what they say, it should only be the starting point.  Once they have a room temp superconductor to play with, I would expect more testing/understanding of how it works leading to other materials development.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 10:59:29 AM »
"I was thinking one of the main reasons that became standard was long range power transmission with fewer losses."

Exactly. A direct current grid would have required hundreds, or even thousands, of power stations to supply the needs of a modern city. They would have had to have been located every few blocks and would have taken up a massive amount of real estate.

Another primary reason for AC winning was that it was, and is, far more flexible at supplying systems requiring different voltages.

But, we could be seeing a resurgence in DC systems with the rise of alternative sources of electric generation and storage, most of which produce DC current.
I would expect development of some serious batteries and storage capacitors.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 11:37:59 AM »

DC AND I SQUARED R REQUIREMENTS

One of the base materials is lead which we don't produce anymore.  Not that we couldn't do so if we wanted to.

From what I see in that report, it can't be used in power lines.  However, if it turns out to be what they say, it should only be the starting point.  Once they have a room temp superconductor to play with, I would expect more testing/understanding of how it works leading to other materials development.

Like transistors.  From the first awkwardly-rigged one to where each of us has literally (literally) millions of them working for us.

With I2R losses becoming zero with R as a zero, transmission lines would not need high voltage.

But I wondered about the up and down voltage requirements for a lot of applications.  At present, You need 480VAC(+) to run the elevators in your building, but only 110-VAC for your desk lamp. 

So, thinking about it, wiith elevator motors (e.g.) only needing 12 gauge wiring in their field coils and therefore now running with the very high currents now required (at low DC voltage) to create the necessary magnetic forces, maybe we could get away with only 12VDC coming into the building.

Thinking, thinking...

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 12:09:30 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 12:49:22 PM »
Just when it's becoming necessary to radically upgrade the power grid for all the electric cars and electric stoves and electric heaters etc. etc. etc...

How convenient! 
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 01:40:28 PM »
Just when it's becoming necessary to radically upgrade the power grid for all the electric cars and electric stoves and electric heaters etc. etc. etc...

How convenient!

?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 07:15:01 PM »
Anton has his doubts

If This Superconductor Is Real, It's a Nobel Prize! But Let's Talk First
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV2AexANG34
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2023, 06:57:14 AM »
I would expect development of some serious batteries and storage capacitors.

You're already seeing that with things like Tesla's power wall.

In a way, it's something of a circling back in technology.

Before widespread electrification companies like Lister in England and Delco in the United States made home power systems -- a small gasoline, kerosene or diesel engines that turned a generator that charged banks of batteries. Mostly these were lead acid batteries, but some systems I've heard about used Edison's iron nickle batteries. The nickle iron batteries were more expensive but incredibly durable. Basically you couldn't kill them. The Baker electric car used nickle iron batteries.

Everything was, of course, direct current, and there was a very robust market for DC products -- irons, vacuum cleaners, power stand motors.

Lots of fun information on the Delco systems here: http://delcolight.com/

Of course, these days everything has to be converted to AC power with probably a pretty substantial loss of current.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2023, 07:04:04 AM »
Would be very interesting to build a house in which all of the lighting ran off a solar/battery array. LED has such a low draw that you could keep the place brilliantly lit for a LONG time with very little draw on the battery bank.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2023, 10:48:56 AM »
Of course, these days everything has to be converted to AC power with probably a pretty substantial loss of current.

I'm assuming you mean power, not current.

I do not forsee this causing significant changes to the electric grid.  It will stay AC because 1) there's way too much established infrastructure 2) AC is significantly better for fuses and switching, as the 0V crossover allows arcs to self extinguish and 3) The largest load on the grid is AC induction motors, which are cheap and robust.

I do not foresee this being used in transmission lines because I2R losses aren't the big loss on them anyway, it's the inductive coupling between the phases.  I suppose one could argue that this material would allow lower voltages which would fix that.

Where this material could be promising is in applications that require high magnetic fields.  Fusion research, MRI and NMR machines, etc.

That said, and to 230RN's point, it would have been hard to predict the vast implications of Bell labs first transistor on the world.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2023, 11:59:16 AM »
Power, current, arcs, ohms, amps, watts, gigahogsheads... beats the hell out of me.

No, I don't see it changing the overall structure of the grid, that's too large and too entrenched.

I do see it possibly changing the way people attach to, and use, grid power if it could be cost effectively rolled out to homes.

The same would be true if small, reasonably cost effective and reliable fuel cells ever come to market.

A fuel cell the size of a large outdoor AC condenser unit capable of producing enough power to supply a small house could be a true game changer for electric production and distribution.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2023, 12:10:47 PM »

Under the assumption that cold superconduction, or something near it is possible...

quote author=Nick1911 link=topic=68703.msg1408137#msg1408137 date=1690555736]
I'm assuming you mean power, not current.[/quote]

Thanks.

I do not foresee this causing significant changes to the electric grid.  It will stay AC because 1) there's way too much established infrastructure 2) AC is significantly better for fuses  (?-230RN) and switching, as the 0V crossover allows arcs to self extinguish and 3) The largest load on the grid is AC induction motors, which are cheap and robust.

There was an enormous infrastructure around tube technology also:  High voltage transformers in almost every household appliance, etc., CRT displays, etc.  The self-quenching zero crossing doesn't seem to affect much in terms of power arcing. 

https://youtu.be/_2LpCdhuOyQ (1:56)

https://youtu.be/bKD1wsBOo2M (1:30)

Once you've got an ionized path, crossing zero doesn't matter since the ions don't just disappear that quickly.

I do not foresee this being used in transmission lines because I2R losses aren't the big loss on them anyway, it's the inductive coupling between the phases.  I suppose one could argue that this material would allow lower voltages which would fix that.

Well I2R losses are exactly why transmission lines are high voltage... because since the V is higher, the I is lower, therefore dropping the power (heat) loss (P=I2R).

Where this material could be promising is in applications that require high magnetic fields.  Fusion research, MRI and NMR machines, etc.

And elevator motors, as I mentioned. =D

That said, and to 230RN's point, it would have been hard to predict the vast implications of Bell labs first transistor on the world.

Or the synthesis of Urea by Wohler in 1828, which destroyed the notion that some kind of "living energy" was required for what is now organic chemistry.

Or Röntgen's X-rays.

Terry. 230RN
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 12:52:15 PM by 230RN »

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2023, 12:38:38 PM »
Somebody is livestreaming their attempt to replicate the material:

https://www.twitch.tv/andrewmccalip
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2023, 01:11:35 PM »

There was an enormous infrastructure around tube technology also:  High voltage transformers in almost every household appliance, etc., CRT displays, etc.  The self-quenching zero crossing doesn't seem to affect much in terms of power arcing. 

Once you've got an ionized path, crossing zero doesn't matter since the ions don't just disappear that quickly.

My experience with relays and switches is that the DC ratings are much, much lower than the AC ratings.  The self-quencing of the AC arc at contact open is my understanding of why this is true.  Am I misunderstanding something there?

Well I2R losses are exactly why transmission lines are high voltage... because since the V is higher, the I is lower, therefore dropping the power (heat) loss (P=I2R).

Indeed, and I'm pointing out that due to that, the resistive losses aren't very significant, which is why I don't see aluminum being replaced in transmission lines by this material.  It's not a big problem that needs solved.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2023, 02:51:25 PM »
My experience with relays and switches is that the DC ratings are much, much lower than the AC ratings.  The self-quencing of the AC arc at contact open is my understanding of why this is true.  Am I misunderstanding something there?

Indeed, and I'm pointing out that due to that, the resistive losses aren't very significant, which is why I don't see aluminum being replaced in transmission lines by this material.  It's not a big problem that needs solved.

The quenching effect is partially true.

But the actual  peak voltage in sine wave AC circuits is usually 1.414 times the usually quoted average voltage in the sine wave.  One hundred ten volts in your house actually peaks in the high part of the AC cycle at 1.414 X 110 = 155.5 volts.

So if a switching device has to handle AC, it has to be rated for that peak voltage (e.g., 110VAC X 1.414) , but it if handles DC, the rating is straightforward, that is, 110DC rating is 110 volts.

Working from 83 yo memory.  Corrections welcome.

"Indeed, and I'm pointing out that due to that, the resistive losses aren't very significant..."

As I pointed out, that's exactly why ultra-high voltages are used in transmission lines.  Reduction of the I.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 03:12:00 PM by 230RN »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2023, 03:14:23 PM »

The quenching effect is partially true.

But Te actual  peak voltage in sine wave AC circtuits is usually 1.414 times the usually quoted average voltage in the sine wave.  One hundred ten volts in your house actually peaks in the high part of the AC cycle at 1.414 X 110 = 155.5 volts.

So if a switching device has to handle AC, it has to be rated for that peak voltage (e.g., 110VAC X 1.414) , but it if handles DC voltage, the rating is straightforward, that is, 110DC rating is 110 volts.

Working from 83 yo memory.  Corrections welcome.

That's true, but if you're suggesting that the difference in ratings is accounted for due to Vp-p of AC... wouldn't that result in a switch being able to handle DC better than AC?

I've got a random relay on my desk.  SRA-05VDC-CL.  Contact rating, 20A 125VAC (Yes, RMS...) or 20A 14VDC.

My posit is that the difference is due to the relative ease at which the AC arc extinguishes due to the zero cross, vs DC.

Sorry, but as I pointed out, that's exactly why ultra-high voltages are used in transmission lines.  Reduction of the I.

Terry, 230RN

I don't disagree, but I also don't see how that challenges my point.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2023, 04:18:20 PM »
But those transmission lines are 138KV or something like that.  You need infrastructure at each end putting in or taking off power with big tall transmission towers.  If you could run the same power at 15KV or less with smaller wires, there would be less power distribution infrastructure needed.  The safety aspect of being able to use lower voltages would help even if high amp rates would still be an issue with breakers and disconnects.    You might be able to pass a lot of distribution power through low voltage systems instead of jumping to a high voltage transmission line. 

I am not saying they would start ripping out equipment in favor of new stuff, but new lines and high yards would be set up different.  I guess it all depends on the economics and safety aspects of the design.