Author Topic: Is there a plumber in the house?  (Read 964 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Is there a plumber in the house?
« on: August 07, 2023, 02:46:02 PM »
I need to snake the drain line from a bathtub. The house is 73 years old, the line is a 2" or 2-1/2" galvanized steel pipe. There is a tee with a clean-out plug where the tub drain drops into the line ... but the cleanout plug has been in place for 73 years.

A number of years ago I had a helluva time getting the plug out to snake the line for the other tub. This one is going to be ten or fifteen years more firmly entrenched. What's the best/easiest way for me to get it out?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Is there a plumber in the house?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 02:56:42 PM »
I need to snake the drain line from a bathtub. The house is 73 years old, the line is a 2" or 2-1/2" galvanized steel pipe. There is a tee with a clean-out plug where the tub drain drops into the line ... but the cleanout plug has been in place for 73 years.

A number of years ago I had a helluva time getting the plug out to snake the line for the other tub. This one is going to be ten or fifteen years more firmly entrenched. What's the best/easiest way for me to get it out?

Galvanized steel in a residential drain? Yikes.

Heat is your friend. Heat the collar with a small torch to swell it away from the threads. Water-sizzle warm is fine. Any hotter and you start running the risk of potentially igniting sewer gasses. If you don't have a torch, a heat gun will do. Could even use a hair dryer, just takes longer. Get the collar warm and give the plug a couple of sharp raps with a hammer. Repeat a couple of times if necessary.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 05:34:36 PM »
I would get some penetrating oil on the thread joint now and let it work for awhile, then heat and brute force as needed.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 05:58:55 PM »
I like the penetrating oil on the threads first idea.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 06:47:24 PM »
Thats where I was, kroil and heat. And six feet worth of cheater bar. Reinstalled with antiseize. The source of my woe? The kitchen drains to a gravel sump via an asphalt drain pipe. Wouldn't be clogged if the gutter downspouts right under the maple tree didn't run to the same line.

Oh, and I just finished super duper water filter install and re doing the whole house in PEX rather than 1941 and up iron pipe and copper. The shower doesn't leak. Also pulled the well pump on new years eve for funsies. So I can report confidently there is no plumber in this house. One less idea for self employment too, I'd rather shovel pig manure while wading in it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 12:39:12 AM »
Oil, heat and beat are always good.  Once on something similar I arc welded a socket to it and used an impact.

Twice with steel pipe around 2 inch diameter I cut it off with about a half inch stub remaining and collapsed the threaded in bit with a cold chisel and hammer.

Good luck, hope it doesn't fight you too much

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 08:28:08 AM »
Detcord!  Someone had to say it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 09:53:59 AM »
Thats where I was, kroil and heat. And six feet worth of cheater bar.
Kroil and heat sound good, but with 73 year old galvanized pipes I'd worry about breaking something with the torque from a six foot cheater bar unless I somehow supported the base pipe.

But then again, plumbing and I don't really get along well . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 10:02:31 AM »
Old pipes aren't any fun at all.  My in-laws had a leak in their bathroom, so I went to take a look at it.  The ~50 year old copper pipe crumbled in my bare hands.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 10:05:07 AM »
Once you get the plug out... IF you get the plug out... see if you can replace it with a plastic/PVC plug. You may need to cheat the threads to clean them up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 06:29:19 PM »
Once you get the plug out... IF you get the plug out... see if you can replace it with a plastic/PVC plug. You may need to cheat the threads to clean them up.

That's what I did for the other tub drain when it had to get snaked.

To get that one out, I ended up drilling most of it with progressively larger bits, then sawing and then chiseling out the remains. I was hoping not to have to do that again.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 09:43:11 PM »
Hawkmoon - do you know if the drain on this tub has a "P" trap or a "can" trap?  You can't snake a can trap.  Don't even try unless you want a leak.

And HankB is right about that cheater bar.  You might turn that old iron pipe into a pretzel.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 09:57:39 PM »
That's what I call "destructive plumbing".
the nice thing about it is you just destroy and replace as you go. Eventually you come to stable material suitable for a transition.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2023, 10:41:02 PM »
Sawzall.
Fernco cap and a stainless steel band clamp.

7-11 was a part time job.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2023, 11:57:32 PM »
Hawkmoon - do you know if the drain on this tub has a "P" trap or a "can" trap?  You can't snake a can trap.  Don't even try unless you want a leak.

And HankB is right about that cheater bar.  You might turn that old iron pipe into a pretzel.

I'm looking to snake the drain line below the trap, where the tailpiece joins the horizontal run in the crawlspace. It's a straight shot -- if I can get the cleanout plug removed.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2023, 03:37:32 AM »
Sawzall.
Fernco cap and a stainless steel band clamp.

This for the win.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2023, 07:33:11 AM »
I've only encountered one drum trap in all of the years I've been working on home plumbing. This one was all lead and was probably from the 1890s.

The biggest problems with drum traps are that they aren't self scouring, which means they are liable to clog just by filling up with crap, and as noted, they really can't be snaked -- they have to be opened and cleaned.

Worse, most of the old drum traps people will encounter are lead, and in trying to snake one it's not unknown to actually punch right through the side of the trap.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 11:03:09 PM »
I've only encountered one drum trap in all of the years I've been working on home plumbing. This one was all lead and was probably from the 1890s.

The biggest problems with drum traps are that they aren't self scouring, which means they are liable to clog just by filling up with crap, and as noted, they really can't be snaked -- they have to be opened and cleaned.

Worse, most of the old drum traps people will encounter are lead, and in trying to snake one it's not unknown to actually punch right through the side of the trap.

That's why we replaced mine several years ago.  I don't know if it was lead as the house was built in '61 and I don't remember what the plumber said it was - or even if he did say.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2023, 07:34:05 AM »
Wow. I'm shocked that someone would have put a drum trap in a home built that late. But, I guess they were still code compliant, so why not.

I know that they were being made and used in the 1940s and 1950s because of the high use of galvanized piping during and after the war when copper was still in short supply.

It was easier to make a drum trap and make sure that was in a place that it could be opened and clean than to make galvanized S or P traps.