Author Topic: Newspaper's co-owner, 98, collapses and dies after 'Gestapo-like' police raid  (Read 2831 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Newspaper's co-owner, 98, collapses and dies after being left 'overwhelmed' by 'Gestapo-like' police raid to seize records from her office and home
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12402357/Newspapers-owner-dies-police-raid-seize.html

The raid occurred after a source leaked sensitive documents to the newspaper about local restaurateur Kari Newell that could have got her liquor license revoked.

Meyer didn't publish the story about Newell because he questioned the source - and instead he told the cops about the information.

But Kari Newell then accused the weekly newspaper of illegally getting her personal data, prompting the search.

The woman died a day or so after the raids partly due to stress it seems.  There isn't a lot of information released yet.  I would think there would be a little more information considering they went all out to raid multiple locations at the same time.  If this is all over suspected identity theft, I think the guy has a pretty good lawsuit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLy5oi_0lQ
 Small Town Cops Raid Newspaper and Reporters' Homes  - Steve Lehto

Steve Lehto weighs in on this.  He makes a good point at the end that a lot of bigger newspapers will be watching this and I imagine the guy will have people beating down his door to help with the lawsuit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
The usual method of operation is to serve the newspapers with a subpoena, not raid the place with a warrant.

It's about time for ANY business the .gov may dislike to a) strongly encrypt all their devices; and/or  b) keep the computers or storage devices off-site at an undisclosed location and only access them via "dumb" terminals.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
"Marion Police Department Chief Gideon Cody said in a statement: 'As much as I would like to give everyone details on a criminal investigation I cannot."

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  That copout is akin to the "qualified immunity" bullshit. It allows the investigating authorites to effectively seal records any old time wickets get sticky for either the cops or the parties involved. (If the parties involved are "Big Names.")

I like the fact that a foreign newspaper can report on U.S. matters independently of the U.S.'s lockbrained MSM, but it seems to me that they're drifting toward the "if it bleeds, it leads" type of yellow journalism of the scandal sheets.

Just sayin'.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
A bit more detail in today's NYT if you can get past their weak paywall
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/13/business/media/kansas-marion-newspaper-police-raid.html
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
A bit more detail in today's NYT if you can get past their weak paywall
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/13/business/media/kansas-marion-newspaper-police-raid.html

Go into reader view mode (F9) then hit refresh (F5)
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
Go into reader view mode (F9) then hit refresh (F5)

Thank you.  I used reader mode, but didn't realize I had to refresh to see the whole article  :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
Thank you.  I used reader mode, but didn't realize I had to refresh to see the whole article  :facepalm:

Depends on the page, sometimes it's not necessary
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
It's so much more fun when you can get a compliant judge to scan for enough "search necessary" buzzwords in a cop's affadavit to OK a full house-disrupting search or a no-knock entry.  Beats the more boring option of securing a subpeona.

My personal simplistic opinion is that the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

But that's just simple-minded me.

I'm thinking maybe this could be manslaughter.... thinking about it, anyway.

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
Thanks for the NYT link and read instructions.

Sounds like they are using the "identity theft" angle as a way to go after irritating journalists without going the subpoena route. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
Whose identity did the newspaper allegedly theft?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
    THANKS, WLJ !

Whose identity did the newspaper allegedly theft?

Isn't that one of those "Marion Police Department Chief Gideon Cody said in a statement: 'As much as I would like to give everyone details on a criminal investigation I cannot' " questions?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
    THANKS, WLJ !

Isn't that one of those "Marion Police Department Chief Gideon Cody said in a statement: 'As much as I would like to give everyone details on a criminal investigation I cannot' " questions?

WLJ, I had never heard of that before, thanks!!.... now all I need is a new laptop, I use chromebook right now, a real pita but it was very cheap
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
    THANKS, WLJ !

That reminds me of a case that was reported several years ago in which a police officer said he could not comment "because I'm investigating an investigation."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
The city council member(s) that instigated it, all the cops involved and the magistrate/judge that signed off on it need to be tried, convicted and executed.
Everyone of them were or should have been cognizant of the very real possibility that sending armed thugs to raid a newspaper could result in the serious injury or death of the victims of their vile act.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
The city council member(s) that instigated it, all the cops involved and the magistrate/judge that signed off on it need to be tried, convicted and executed.
Everyone of them were or should have been cognizant of the very real possibility that sending armed thugs to raid a newspaper could result in the serious injury or death of the victims of their vile act.

Years ago I had the very devil of a time digging up the below quote.  Nowadays it's easy to find on the net.  Apparently this right was important even before it was written into our Fourth Amendment.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail — its roof may shake — the wind may blow through it — the storm may enter — the rain may enter — but the King of England cannot enter — all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement!

William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham
Speech on the Excise Bill, House of Commons (March 1763)

So there, architects of that old lady's search and seizure!

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:28:34 AM by 230RN »

Jim147

• friends
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
Hmmm

The police chief of a small town in Kansas was being investigated by the local newspaper over allegations of sexual misconduct before he ordered his entire department to raid the newspaper offices, it has emerged.
The police department claimed the raid was carried out because they had concerns of 'identity theft', after the newspaper obtained evidence of a possible liquor license violation.

But the news operation was sure the raid was due to their investigation of Gideon Cody, 54.

He became chief of the Marion County Police Department in late April, after leaving the Kansas City police amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

Top cop Gideon Cody was investigated over claims of sexual misconduct before entire police force raided Kansas newspaper - leaving owner Joan Meyer, 98, feeling terrorized before she died 'mid-sentence'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12406787/Marion-County-Record-Joan-Meyer-Eric-Meyer-Gideon-Cody-sexual-misconduct.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
It would be a shame if the townspeople lynched him.  A real shame.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Crooked cop, tar, feathers, rail.
Some assembly required.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
More info

Footage from the explosive Marion City Council meeting that sparked a police raid on a local newspaper office has been revealed - where a furious restaurant owner accused officials of leaking her DUI information, slamming their 'malicious' behavior.

Kari Newell, 46, accused the Marion County Record of getting information illegally, which would have halted her request for a liquor license - triggering the multiple police raids on Friday.

I'm wondering if could be some connection between the police chief and this woman because these raids seem to be way over the top. Just wild speculation on my part

The newspaper wasn't the only place raided

But the Meyer residence and the newspaper's HQ were not the only places raided. Marion City councilwoman Ruth Herbel's home was also pillaged after Kari Newell made a fiery attack at her last Monday.

Stay tuned

REVEALED: The explosive Marion council meeting that sparked a police raid on local Kansas newspaper office - as furious restaurant owner Kari Newell accuses official of leaking her DUI info to the press and slams 'malicious' behavior
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12408893/Kansas-restaurant-owner-police-raid-local-paper-owner-died.html
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 12:05:49 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
 ??? What I find interesting is that this seems to be reported more in the UK than here in the US.  [popcorn]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
??? What I find interesting is that this seems to be reported more in the UK than here in the US.  [popcorn]

As has been stated in other threads not unusual.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Restauranteur Kari Newell, who allegedly triggered the whole thing, has turned off comments on on her restaurant's FaceBook page. Google Reviews are... bad.

Doesn't seem to have done the same with her personal FB page, but it also doesn't appear she's been active on it in a couple of years.

No links since this is a public forum.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 05:25:35 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Marion County attorney reviewed police seizures and found “insufficient evidence exists to establish a legally sufficient nexus between this alleged crime and the places searched and the items seized. ...As a result, I have submitted a proposed order asking the court to release the evidence seized. I have asked local law enforcement to return the material seized to the owners of the property."

https://www.kcbd.com/2023/08/16/kansas-newspaper-raided-by-police-strikes-back-first-print-edition-since-search/?fbclid=IwAR0yyIdmWzcDEgsSvAOWULWsKConCA1e05Kpi0VugUWg_07FfYZEt5U4koI

TL/DR version: PoPo submits "evidence" to County Attorney for prosecution. County Attorney reviews and finds nothing to justify PoPo's actions. County Attorney quickly distances himself by issuing "Give the newspaper their stuff back" request to court. Presumably there were several versions of "WHAT THE F**K WERE YOU THINKING!!!!" voiced, but again, only presumption.

When your county attorney, someone who's usually all cozy with local law enforcement, reviews the stuff you've seized and says, 'No Dice", it's pretty bad.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB