Author Topic: Fifty Modern Army Rangers at the Alamo  (Read 723 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Fifty Modern Army Rangers at the Alamo
« on: August 18, 2023, 08:36:09 PM »
Interesting thought experiment. What would happen if you could transport fifty modern Army Rangers back to the Alamo? They'd kick Santa Ana's butt, that's what. In this case he limited them regarding some modern armament, like no mortars, but still postulated that fifty would be overkill. I tend to agree, given what the impressive kill ratio was for the guys that were actually there. Just a couple of M2s would ravage the Mexican forces.

Interestingly, I was unaware of the range of cannons of the time, which the video says was ~400 yards. Designated Marksmen could just hang out and shoot cannon crews all day.

https://youtu.be/5v7yyVfDZTw
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Fifty Modern Army Rangers at the Alamo
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 08:57:56 PM »
Interesting thought experiment. What would happen if you could transport fifty modern Army Rangers back to the Alamo? They'd kick Santa Ana's butt, that's what. In this case he limited them regarding some modern armament, like no mortars, but still postulated that fifty would be overkill. I tend to agree, given what the impressive kill ratio was for the guys that were actually there. Just a couple of M2s would ravage the Mexican forces.

Interestingly, I was unaware of the range of cannons of the time, which the video says was ~400 yards. Designated Marksmen could just hang out and shoot cannon crews all day.

https://youtu.be/5v7yyVfDZTw

I would say by the mid 1860s weapons tech would have swung the balance solidly in the defenders favor at the Alamo. Throwing in 1860s gatling guns would just be unfair. Put 50 soldiers of just about any of the major European powers (the US was a bit behind the curve here) post 1890 or so with modern bolt actions behind the walls at the Alamo it would just be a slaughter. Once modern style machine guns start coming on line around 1900 or so (again the US was behind the curve) well.....   And yes, they would have no problem picking off the cannon crews.
Once the first Mexican units are mowed down with ease the rest would more than likely say screw this and bolt.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 09:13:46 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 09:13:43 PM »
At night, they'd take the fight to the enemy.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 09:23:28 PM »
I would say by the mid 1860s weapons tech would have swung the balance solidly in the defenders favor at the Alamo.

Apparently the Alamo had a mish mash of weapons, but many of them were Kentucky Rifle quality, which was good to 200 yards with someone skilled. The Mexican muskets were limited closer to 100 yards on a good day, so there was already a weapons tech (and likely skill) advantage at the Alamo. Santa Ana just had the overwhelming numbers. Even at a 4 to 1 kill ratio, you can only reload a flintlock so fast. It would have been interesting if the defenders had even lever action rifles against the Mexican muskets.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 09:29:36 PM »
Apparently the Alamo had a mish mash of weapons, but many of them were Kentucky Rifle quality, which was good to 200 yards with someone skilled. The Mexican muskets were limited closer to 100 yards on a good day, so there was already a weapons tech (and likely skill) advantage at the Alamo. Santa Ana just had the overwhelming numbers. Even at a 4 to 1 kill ratio, you can only reload a flintlock so fast. It would have been interesting if the defenders had even lever action rifles against the Mexican muskets.

Yep, lever actions, those darn rifles you load on Sunday and shoot all week. Mexican troops advancing in tight groups would be in for one heck of a surprise. Some of the early lever actions were a bit short on range but let the Mexicans advance a bit and open up. throw in a gatling gun or two and I wouldn't want to a Mexican soldier that day. Once the first units got mowed down the rest more than likely would bolt.
Weapons tech advanced so fast in the period between 1860 and 1870 that the game flat out changes. From 1870 to 1890 even more so. By 1890 most of the puzzle pieces of the modern bolt action rifle and cartridges were in place and the modern machine gun was close behind.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 09:43:20 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 10:11:42 PM »
In idle moments, I've found myself wondering "what if" . . . as in "What if I showed up a week before Santa Ana did and I had wagon train with an M1 Garand for each Alamo defender and plenty of ammo in en-bloc clips?"

M1 rifles, lots of ammo, and a week to train . . . Santa Ana would've lost.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain