Author Topic: Chinese Grey Lady Down  (Read 1568 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Chinese Grey Lady Down
« on: October 03, 2023, 03:02:52 PM »
Maybe

Saw rumors to this effect back in Aug but more is coming out.
Reportedly got caught in their own net system and the O2 system failed.
Conflicting reports on whether this was a nuclear or diesel/electric but the type reported (93) is nuclear powered
Note: This is still unconfirmed as the Chinese are being very tight lipped about it as per their usual policy.

EXCLUSIVE: 55 Chinese sailors are feared dead after nuclear submarine 'gets caught in a trap intended to snare British and US vessels in the Yellow Sea'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12589429/chinese-sailors-trap-yellow-sea.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Chinese Grey Lady Down
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 05:14:01 PM »
So it sounds like they didn't have enough redundancy in their air cleaning systems?

Did the submarine get free of the trap?  I was a bit confused by the narrative. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 11:12:24 PM »
AWwww - -
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 07:49:00 AM »
It's not clear from the stories I've read, but if the Chicoms are placing submarine traps on the high seas - outside their internationally recognized 12 mile limit - and one snags a British or American sub, that would be an act of war. Considering that they claim the whole of the South China Sea - right up to the coastlines of Vietnam, the Philippines, and Malaysia - I wouldn't put it past them. Unless they've bought even more US (and British) officials the way they've bought Biden, things in that case could really spiral out of their control.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 07:49:31 AM »

Slight sdidetrack:

Is "grey lady" a nickname for submarines?  I looked it up, there are a lot of Wikipedia disambiguations for "grey lady," but none refer to submarines.

Does Wiki need to be updated on this?   Or was "Grey Lady" the actual Chinese name for the boat?

???

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 07:51:11 AM »
Slight sdidetrack:

Is "grey lady" a nickname for submarines?  I looked it up, there are a lot of Wikipedia disambiguations for "grey lady," but none refer to submarines.

Does Wiki need to be updated on this?   Or was "Grey Lady" the actual Chinese name for the boat?

???

I believe it was a reference to the Charlton Heston Movie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Lady_Down

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 08:04:23 AM »
Grey Lady is an old nickname for submarines

and

Gray Lady Down is the official U.S. Navy call sign/designation for submarine in distress/rescue operation needed
https://jackluzwrites.livejournal.com/7863.html?

And there was a movie by that name.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 08:15:06 AM »
EDIT This post refers to WLJ's original response above, where he said he just had Grey Lady in his head since he had just seen the movie:

Ok, so it's another mind-reading example of APS posts.  I can see it as a general reference to submarines now, but that was a stretch for me, so thanks.

"Put your reader's head on your shoulders."'  Winthrop "Winnie" Palmer.

<end of sidetrack>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 08:29:15 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 08:32:58 AM »
EDIT This post refers to WLJ's original response above, where he said he just had Grey Lady in his head since he had just seen the movie:

Ok, so it's another mind-reading example of APS posts.  I can see it as a general reference to submarines now, but that was a stretch for me, so thanks.

<end of sidetrack>

Sorry that was a case of hitting enter before I was done with my thought train and I had to edit it
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 10:03:16 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 10:02:36 AM »
Oh, I've done the same things and more.

I have the same thing with the "Enter" key.  To me, it's still a "carriage return-line feed" like on a typewriter.  I constantly hit it to start a new paragraph in Chats and the like, only to find the stuff I just typed got inadvertently sent when all I wanted was to start a new paragraph. 

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 12:18:56 PM »
"carriage return-line feed"

:O Careful there,  You're showing your age !  :rofl:  :old:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 12:31:56 PM »

IOW, always talk down to your slowest readers?    >:D  (Doggy turns and scampers away.)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 12:39:54 PM »

Okay

Now what?
- Calvin and Hobbes