Author Topic: Supermarket bank branches closing at rapid pace  (Read 1051 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Supermarket bank branches closing at rapid pace
« on: October 27, 2023, 09:47:57 AM »
This is really interesting. Banks that have branches in supermarkets are closing those locations 7 times faster than other locations.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/27/supermarket-bank-branches-closing.html

That happened to the PNC Branch at the store I shop at. PNC is specifically noted in the article.

The store itself opened, IIRC, just as COVID was kicking off, so that PNC branch wasn't there all that long.

I was working for Navy Federal Credit Union when this concept really started taking off as a way for banks and some credit unions to reach more customers, especially those in underserved areas.

Navy Federal never moved in that direction, preferring to maintain their service areas where there were high concentrations of members, such as military bases or office buildings with large Navy and Marine Corps presence.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Supermarket bank branches closing at rapid pace
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 11:58:00 AM »
Now that I think about it, in years past a lot of the local Safeway stores had bank branches in them.  None of them are still open and the space has been repurposed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 12:16:43 PM »
How you gonna cash your paper paycheck, buy your weekly groceries, and have some pocket cash if there is no bank branch in the store?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 12:23:44 PM »
I assume that the smartphone is killing all the banks. Around here standalone ones are disappearing too. In what has to  be a corporate real estate strategy at least four of them have found a new life as a Starbucks.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 12:37:55 PM »
How you gonna cash your paper paycheck, buy your weekly groceries, and have some pocket cash if there is no bank branch in the store?

That's sort of where this concept originally started. Back in the 1990s there was a LOT of talk about underserved communities not having access to banking services. Relying on check cashing businesses was standard for a lot of these people.

At the same time, there was a lot of talk about the same communities not having access to grocery stores, and the idea for combining the two services took off pretty quickly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 01:39:03 PM »
Two words: "cashless society"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 02:26:45 PM »
Around here, all the in-store pharmacies are closing and moving their customers to Walgreen's Rx. This happened in Super1, Brookshires and Kroger. I DO believe those were all bought out by a single entity so there's that.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 02:38:37 PM »

I was working for Navy Federal Credit Union when this concept really started taking off as a way for banks and some credit unions to reach more customers, especially those in underserved areas.

"Underserved" typically means low income and shitty credit.  Not a lot for banks to do for customers like that.  Makes sense they're closing.

Add to that, an ATM now can do more than they could 15 years ago.  Particularly, intake/deposit/validate checks.  Even at an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank.

The branch may close, but there's an ATM there doing the work that most entire branches did on any given Friday of the week.  The rest of the time, the branch sat there empty, maybe with a marketing stooge trying to draw in someone with a cart full of temperature sensitive groceries to refi their house or car.  Not really a winning strategy to gain walk-in business.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2023, 04:31:40 PM »
""Underserved" typically means low income and shitty credit.  Not a lot for banks to do for customers like that.  Makes sense they're closing."

Yes on low income. But credit history has nothing to do with access to either a savings or a checking account, which was the basic premise of the argument in the 1990s.

Check cashing stores don't extend credit of the kind you would get from a bank. Nor do they offer savings or checking accounts. But for many people they were the only viable option for financial services.

The salient point, though, of why many of these branches are now closing are that methods of accessing those financial services are no longer the same as they were in the 1990s.

It wasn't until the mid to late 1990s that most banks and credit unions had online access. Phone access was much the same, and it was only available on land lines. Cell phone banking didn't become a thing until 2007.

At that time you had to show up, in person, at a bank or credit union to open an account. Now you can do it on line. Now you can do virtually everything on line. I've not set foot in a Navy Federal branch in over a decade.

Yet I've refinanced my mortgage, taken out two car loans, taken out two equity lines of credit, pay my bills monthly, etc., all on line, either on my computer or on my cell phone.

Banks are still working to serve those underserved communities, but they're doing so online. So no, it's not surprising that banks are closing branches, especially smaller service branches like those in supermarkets. You're right, ATMs are now far more capable than they were back in the 1990s. But, I know of only a very few check cashing ATMs, and in order to do so I THINK you need to have a bank account to serve as a guarantee for the check.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2023, 04:38:13 PM »
Also there are just much fewer checks in general, so less need to cash them.

I can also take a picture of a check with my bank's app, deposit it, and the money is available right away, either on ATM for cash, Venmo, or just tap-to-pay on my phone, so why would I need an ATM or bank to cash it?  Hell, I've heard the drugdealers around here take cashap.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 04:46:22 PM »
"Also there are just much fewer checks in general, so less need to cash them."

Another excellent point that I'd not thought of.

I get a minimum of 4 paper checks a year -- dividend payments from one of my investments. All of the rest of my dividend payments, my pay checks, reimbursements for Seren's medical costs from her insurance, it's all online. I used to also get rebate checks for purchasing some of Seren's medications. But recently they started issuing the rebates of Visa debit cards. So no more dealing with those.

As for checks I actually write each year, it's fewer than 10. In August I wrote two, both on my HEL, to pay for my new windows. In the past I've also written checks for Girl Scout Cookies, but last year they rolled out an online ordering and payment system.

I'm still on the box of checks that I got from Navy Federal nearly 20 years ago. I'm not even sure that I've hit serial number 1000 yet.

"I can also take a picture of a check with my bank's app, deposit it, and the money is available right away, either on ATM for cash, Venmo, or just tap-to-pay on my phone, so why would I need an ATM or bank to cash it?"

Yep, same here. But, once again, in order to do that, you need a bank account. Not nearly the problem it was in the 1990s.

Now days it appears that the biggest impediment to someone being able to get a bank account is their immigration status. And no bank branch in the world is going to be able to help with that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 04:50:48 PM »
Oh, and regarding "the branch may close, but the ATM's still there..."

When PNC pulled out of the grocery store where I do most of my shopping, they took their ATMs with them.

Now there's a third-party ATM. Not sure what its capabilities are.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 05:31:42 PM »
The supermarket I go to (part of a regional chain) still has a bank in it. The bank name changed a few months ago -- I had never heard of the new name, so I don't know if it was just a name change or if some bank acquired some other bank.

I walk past the bank every time I enter or exit the store, and I can't even remember if I have ever seen a customer in that space.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2023, 12:52:08 AM »

The courtesy desk at a local King Soopers seems to be fulfilling the paycheck need, but it's right on the border with Denver proper.  There's always a long line there on Fridays.  This, even thought there's a major bank ATM in their parking lot.  I guess the direct deposit method of wage payment has cut into the need for branches. (I haven't heard of anything, but they recently went back to armed security.)

I used to prefer getting a paper check just for the "something" "in hand" feeling but finally broke down and went to direct deposit.  For a long time I liked paying my bills by check and by mail for similar "tactual" reasons but I finally broke down and except for two regular creditors I have most of  them do direct withdrawals. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 07:59:52 AM »
With checks, it depends on where you live. I write more checks now than I did back in CA. Local tradesmen and smaller local trades-related businesses here don't want the credit card fee, and I think more often than not, older (and even younger) rural residents don't deal with Venmo, etc., so cash or checks are it.

I mean, I paypal occasionally, but otherwise avoid e-payment/phone payment stuff. Moreso from a "mark of the beast" perspective than a technology perspective. Just trying to do my small part to stave off the inevitable cashless society.  =)

I bank at a smaller regional bank, and they actually added a location recently, vs shutting some down. I still enter the physical bank occasionally for some stuff, though I think the last few times it was to use the free notary service.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2023, 08:28:19 AM »
Yep, that's very much true.

Friend of mine lives in a pretty rural area of Virginia. Most of the businesses there prefer cash or check, but will do credit card. They also do business on a handshake basis. Order a couple grand worth of product and, if they know and trust you, they don't require a deposit. Just your word and a handshake.

God forbid, though, if you screw them over. Word will get around very quickly and you'll never be trusted again. I'd also not be surprised at all if some of the merchants would simply refuse to do business with you going forward.

I just pulled out my Navy Federal check book. I've had the account for over 25 years now, getting close to 30, and I'm on check... 913.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2023, 11:50:32 AM »
I was wrong. My local grocery no longer has an ATM now that PNC moved and took theirs with them. What I thought was an ATM was some other kind of machine. Lottery tickets, probably.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2023, 04:07:16 PM »
Being "old school", I use paper checks much more than "plastic".
If we're forced onto "digital currency", I'm screwed.
  [barf]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2023, 08:18:28 PM »
Our small town (~3,100 pop) currently has 4 stand alone banks, one branch in the local Walmart store and one credit union.

Someone is in the process of building yet another stand alone bank, almost directly across the street from an existing bank.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2023, 08:25:31 PM »
I was just re-reading my post above, and for clarity, the e-payment stuff I avoid is to individuals, scanning my phone, etc. All my main bills are paid via my bank's bill pay or directly at the vendor's website (e.g., my power bill).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2023, 07:55:48 AM »
"scanning my phone"

You mean linking your phone to a credit card account with Samsung Pay, Google Pay, etc., and paying that way?

Holy hell, I couldn't do without that anymore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 08:08:01 AM »
"scanning my phone"

Yeah. I just prefer to tap my credit card. I thought it would be cool to do Garmin Pay through my watch, but it ended up being slower than a card tap. Then for things like hitting the local burger joint, I just like to use cash (though they always try to stick the machine out the drive-through window at the same time I had them cash).

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2023, 11:13:33 PM »
Fast food windows are one place I never use any card - cash only. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2023, 02:51:00 PM »
Fast food windows are one place I never use any card - cash only.

I rarely eat Fast Food anymore, but if I do, I use the store's app on my phone.  That way the workers never see any of my payment details.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 06:30:35 AM »
I don't have any problem giving my card over at a drive through window. They have the reader right there in sight of me.

The only time I've ever had a card swiped was 2 or 3 years ago. Friends were visiting and we went to a local restaurant. They took my card and brought it back, just like dozens of other restaurants have done many times over the years.

Couple of days later I get multiple attempts to charge Amazon Web Services accounts to my card in a matter of minutes. As I'm sitting there reading the charge alerts on my phone more were coming in.

That was really early in the morning and I was going to take care of it first thing when I got to the office, but by the time I did Amazon had flagged the accounts as suspicious and suspended them.

I got in touch with my credit union and had a new card a couple of days later. They even sent it priority because I use the card so much.

Nearly 40 years with credit cards and that was the first time I'd ever had one compromised. Friends of mine have cards compromised a couple of times a year, almost like clockwork.