Author Topic: Lets Talk Reheating Bread  (Read 1216 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Lets Talk Reheating Bread
« on: October 31, 2023, 01:19:24 PM »
So with Summer over, it's bread baking season for me again. I like to bake a loaf on Sunday and then have some sandwich bread left for a few days.

My favorite thing about bread baking day though, is cutting of a chunk from the end (I make roundish loafs in a dutch oven), slathering with butter, and eating the warm buttered bread. So good. I want to capture that more from the same loaf, reheated a day or two later.

Right now I either do it in the microwave, where the bread seems to be good for a few minutes, but then gets a weird consistency after it starts to cool. Or else I'll stick it in the convection oven for 5-8 minutes at around 325, which I guess works pretty well, but doesn't seem to give me that "fresh out of the oven" taste. I found the below website with some suggestions. Anybody have better ones?

https://kitchenous.com/reheat-bread/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Lets Talk Reheating Bread
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 01:27:54 PM »
The best method I've used for slices is to toast them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 02:04:36 PM »
Wrap in a cloth dampened with warm water and set in an oven at lowest setting for 10 to 15 minutes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 02:41:36 PM »
These were popular when I was a kid.

https://www.amazon.com/bread-warmer-stone/s?k=bread+warmer+stone

I just toast bread if I want it warm, but I agree fresh bread from the oven with butter is pretty damn good. I keep raw frozen rolls around for those days, a few hours/all day on the counter and they are ready to pop in the oven.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 03:17:06 PM »
Steam.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 01:43:09 PM »
Wrap in a cloth dampened with warm water and set in an oven at lowest setting for 10 to 15 minutes.

Or a very damp (not dripping wet) paper towel laid over the bread and, depending on your MW, 1-2 minutes.  This "steams" the bread, re-moistening it as well as warming it.  Do NOT butter first.  If you're going to butter the bread, skip the damp towel.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”