Author Topic: RIP Ken Mattingly, Apollo 16 Command Module Pilot.  (Read 426 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
RIP Ken Mattingly, Apollo 16 Command Module Pilot.
« on: November 03, 2023, 11:22:37 PM »
Rear Admiral Ken Mattingly, Apollo 16 Command Module Pilot has passed at the age of 87.

While his crewmates, Young and Duke were on the moon Mattingly spent nearly three days alone in orbit around the moon. During that time he was the most isolated human in existence.

High Flight
by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
Re: RIP Ken Mattingly, Apollo 16 Command Module Pilot.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 08:31:09 AM »
It saddens me every time I read that another Apollo moon mission astronaut passes.

And it's with a mixture of sadness and rage that I contemplate our nation's retreat from one of Man's greatest endeavors and our subsequent descent into a welfare state.  =( :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: RIP Ken Mattingly, Apollo 16 Command Module Pilot.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 09:23:49 AM »
It saddens me every time I read that another Apollo moon mission astronaut passes.

And it's with a mixture of sadness and rage that I contemplate our nation's retreat from one of Man's greatest endeavors and our subsequent descent into a welfare state.  =( :mad:

It's funnysad that when Apollo was underway, the big push against it was that it would take away from "free stuff" social programs. Now we're kinda doing what those people wanted, and that welfare state is a shitshow. I submit that everything that came out of the Apollo program - not just the exploration, but all the new technology that became commonplace, were 1000 times better for humanity than "free stuff" programs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."