Author Topic: Marlin 60 dovetail size  (Read 823 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Marlin 60 dovetail size
« on: November 12, 2023, 09:29:24 AM »
Have a Marlin Glennfield 60 I've had since the 80s and was mounting scope rings on it and notice they were sitting not quite right so I took a set of calibers and measured the dovetail and the top measured 10.83mm. Okay that doesn't seem right, not what should be expect for an older American rimfire, should be closer to 12.70 for a 3/8 dovetail.
Was Marlin using the European standard on their rimfires back then?

Pulled out a Russian made 22 I have and it measured 10.94mm which is correct (or near enough) for European. A Serbian made Remington and it measured 12.65mm
Unfortunately for measuring purposes all my American made rimfires other than the Marlin 60 have either pic or weaver rails.

Anyone else have a Marlin 60 you can measure?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Marlin 60 dovetail size
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 11:00:20 AM »
Think my measuring may had solved a little mystery about my Remington Model 5, the Serbian made 22. The Remington 5 is a Zastava MP22R with better finish and nicer stock and Remington's name on it..

I noticed when mounting scope rings on it that I had to keep the rearward ring forward of the bolt handle shaft channel otherwise it the shaft would bump into the ring mount. Always thought maybe that was a design oversight but maybe not now or at least not Zastava's. Note how the dovetail measurement on the R5 was for a 3/8 dovetail (American). Maybe the original Zastava has a 11mm dovetail and Remington requested it be changed to 3/8 on the R5 thus making it a touch wider and wide enough to interfere. Hmmmm

Unfortunately I don't have a Zastava MP22R to measure.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 11:33:18 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 02:22:11 PM »
I have several around here from many decades. I'll look for my calipers when I get a chance. Last NHRA National of the year has me in my comfy chair sipping whisky.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 03:04:09 PM »
Someone on another forum just measured their 60 of pretty much the same vintage and it came out to 10.97.
Somewhat surprised Marlin was using the European size dovetail in the 70s and 80s.

Oddly his Marlin Papoose was 11.45.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 03:18:57 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 06:28:17 PM »
BTW: It's not just the width that is different

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 08:02:53 AM »
Well poop

In 2020 Marlin was sold to Sturm, Ruger & Co. when Remington Arms assets were sold off. Production of the Model 60 ceased at this time. Ruger relaunched Marlin in fall of 2021. As of January 2022, Ruger announced it has no plans to resume production of the Model 60.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_60

Checked the website, no rimfires listed. Guess Ruger decided since it competed with the 10/22 No Model 60 for you!
I recommenced the 60 to a lot of first time shooters over the years.

Looks like parts have gone way up on E-Bay
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 08:18:17 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 09:05:09 AM »
I forgot to check mine last night.  I have an old Marlin 60 that I picked up from a coworker who was getting rid of some old guns.  The very old SxS shotgun was beyond fixing, but the model 60 works quite well. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2023, 02:15:30 PM »
I couldn't get my caliper to fit with the scope on so had to go dig in my old engine build box and find my metric mic. Dead on 11mm. I didn't check the date of mine but I was carrying it in the 1970's.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 11:32:47 AM »
I did finally check mine yesterday.  Looks like 11mm.  Definitely no wider than that.

I am using a rimfire scope mount that fits well enough. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2023, 11:25:49 AM »
Thanks.
Just wanted to make sure mine wasn't a fluke of some sort. Do a google search and just about everyone says it should be 3/8 and it turns out it's not. Puzzled why Marlin chose to use the European standard back then.
Just be aware some rings will work with both some won't
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2023, 12:09:24 PM »
Eleven mm opens up options for the European "precision rimfire" peeps such as Anschutz and Diana Walther that were available at the time.
I believe Williams' excellent quality rimfire peeps are (at least now) 11mm.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 04:31:24 PM by Tuco »
7-11 was a part time job.