Author Topic: The Real Inglorious Basterds Punch Pistol  (Read 614 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
The Real Inglorious Basterds Punch Pistol
« on: November 13, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »
Brandon Herrera  looks at and tests the OSS glove gun as seen in Inglorious Basterds

The Real Inglorious Basterds Punch Pistol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ihmVRttS2Q
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: The Real Inglorious Basterds Punch Pistol
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 07:00:06 PM »
Rock Island has one for sale right now. Starting bid $8,500.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 06:18:39 AM »
First time I've heard formal mention of the blast effect of the exit gases in a muzzle-contact shot. Talk about your temporary wound cavity !

Some famous criminal, Dillinger or Sutton or someone, was supposed to have rigged a forward-facing shoulder holster which would fire when he raised his arms in a "hands up" arrest situation.  Don't know if that was true or not.

Did I catch somewhere in the vid that the glove gun was unrifled?  Neither was the WWII Liberator pistol.

Well-presented video.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 07:38:45 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 06:47:34 AM »
And don't forget Herrera is running for senate

Bet you don't often see candidates with a campaign poster like that

https://brandonherreraforcongress.com/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 06:59:54 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 07:19:35 AM »
"Did I catch somewhere in the vid that the glove gun was unrifled?"

Correct. No need for it to be rifled. It's a contact weapon, and rifling won't provide any benefits at all, but it will increase production costs and time to manufacture.

I had always heard that those gloves were originally created for See Bee heavy equipment operators to give them some immediate defense against Japanese coming out of the jungles and attacking them while they were building airstrips on contested islands.

Probably either just supposition or it was a cover story ginned up to cover who the customer really was.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 07:24:04 AM »

I had always heard that those gloves were originally created for See Bee heavy equipment operators to give them some immediate defense against Japanese coming out of the jungles and attacking them while they were building airstrips on contested islands.

Probably either just supposition or it was a cover story ginned up to cover who the customer really was.

I highly suspect cover or just flat out BS
If you are expected to fend off Japanese soldiers armed with a Type 38 or 99 Arisaka with a long ass bayonet attached to it with a single shot punch pistol you are in deep deep deep do do.
They're either going to shoot you or stab you or both
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:34:59 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 07:25:57 AM »
OK, here's an article from Popular Mechanics from 2015 written by Gun Jesus.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a18692/forgotten-weapons-sedgley-glove-gun/

It also says something that I thought that I knew -- that these glove guns were chambered for .38 S&W, NOT .38 Special.

But Herrera appears to be loading his with a .38 Special.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 07:29:43 AM »
OK, here's an article from Popular Mechanics from 2015 written by Gun Jesus.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a18692/forgotten-weapons-sedgley-glove-gun/

It also says something that I thought that I knew -- that these glove guns were chambered for .38 S&W, NOT .38 Special.

But Herrera appears to be loading his with a .38 Special.

I have to watch again but was his a modern repo? If so 38S would make a lot more sense.

Edit: Based on the transcript I would say his is the real deal minus the glove which is new.

something that's worth noting is
1:23
that there is actually no footage to my
1:26
knowledge on the entire internet of this
1:29
actually being used so this video might
1:31
be the first time there's actually
1:32
footage of a s Mark I firing meaning
1:34
that you know while this is a
1:36
potentially Priceless piece of History
1:38
we're also kind of preserving history
1:40
forever in a way by showing it actually
1:42
being used and I think that's kind of
1:44
cool so let's go [ __ ] some [ __ ] up so

- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 08:01:03 AM »
I suspect chambering for .38 SPL was no big problem.  I used to make .38 S&W cases out of fired .38 and 357 cases.  I seem to recall having to do something on the rim in my lathe, but in any case, they worked fine in an ancient top-break .38 S&W and  loaded with .357 bullets.  Son2 has my notes on that and other experiments, plus all my ancient loading manuals.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 08:05:59 AM »
I got a box of 38S&W around here somewhere. Never had a use for it, someone gave me the box.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 08:31:17 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 08:28:42 AM »
Interesting...

Da Wikpediaz sez that the Sedgley was chambered in.... .38 Special.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedgley_OSS_.38

I wonder if two versions were made... .38 Special for the US Navy and, if the OSS actually took some, those were chambered in .38 S&W. Although that would contradict somewhat the video from Gun Jesus...

From what I understand, OSS primarily armed its people with Colt & S&W revolvers chambered in .38 S&W because that cartridge was the same as the British .38/200 round and thus had somewhat greater availability world wide. More importantly, the OSS also apparently provided arms to resistance groups, and revolvers in .38 S&W would, again, be more useful.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 10:08:39 AM »

Some folks in the comments are claiming ancedotally that engineers really were issued them:

Ok, I need to add in a very important note, the OSS didn't really get to play with the SGG (Sedgley Glove Gun), but engineers on the Normandy beaches actually got their hands on, or were issued, a large number of SGGs during the DDay landings as a close in self defense gun while clearing trenches, bunkers and other random fortifications, where they actually saw limited, albeit noted, use when fighting got close up, and I know this because my Exes grandfather earned the Silver Star, Purple Heart and his CIB on Utah beach, and I saw numerous pictures of him with a very distinctive glove on, with a gun on the back that were taken shortly before and after the landings took place. According to his son, my exes dad, he actually did get to fire off a grand total of 4 shots with his SGG against enemy troops when him and his unit took a small gauge rail complex that supplied coastal artillery sites with ammunition. Clearing rooms, him with his SGG and something like 30lb of satchel charges and another man with a Thompson, had numerous run ins with emplaced infantry within the complex where he earned his purple heart after losing an ear, finger and getting shot through the collar bone.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 10:12:43 AM »
Forgotten Weapons wrote about one issued to a PT Boat crewman:

The Sedgley glove gun I had a chance to look at was issued to a Navy beach jumper, whose job was to use a PT boat to cause confusion and chaos immediately before and during amphibious landings. He was instructed to use the gun in case his boat was boarded by the Japanese. The idea was that when his hands were raised as if to surrender, the gun would not be visible. Of course, nobody had adequately answered the question of what to do about the second Japanese soldier, since the single cartridge took so long to reload. So the PT boat fellow boxed up the glove gun, mailed it home, and found himself a 1911 to carry instead.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 10:41:46 AM »
"Forgotten Weapons wrote about one issued to a PT Boat crewman:"

Beat you to it...  ;)

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 03:52:01 PM »
Yes yes did....