Author Topic: Don't Take Pictures of Chinese People in the UK  (Read 970 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Don't Take Pictures of Chinese People in the UK
« on: January 23, 2024, 03:09:27 PM »
Have you guys seen this? It's all over the medias.

This apparently famous youtube piano player plays a piano in a public space in a big mall. During a recent performance while his cameraman was filming him, some Chinese people approached him and said he was not allowed to film them because of Chinese "image privacy" laws apparently.

I ended up watching the entire 40min video of the incident (there are lots of parts you can skip through to shorten it) and just wow. Also in the end the UK cops pretty much took the side of the Chinese. As of today, the piano he was playing has been cordoned off and security guards placed there.  :rofl:

Also it appears the Chinese are now youtube stars with millions of views because this went viral.  :rofl:

Original; full video:

https://youtu.be/65iwnI2hjAA

Updates (short):

https://youtu.be/6BIm-vF-YeY
https://youtu.be/Bm3o18j0MFY

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Don't Take Pictures of Chinese People in the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 03:28:13 PM »
A master class in how to ensure Chinese dignitaries are videoed and put on YouTube every time they land in the west.

I kinda hope the Commies meet some of those YouTube "pranksters" that run around.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 03:46:29 PM »
A master class in how to ensure Chinese dignitaries are videoed and put on YouTube every time they land in the west.

I kinda hope the Commies meet some of those YouTube "pranksters" that run around.

And did you see the part where the one Chinaman got aggroed up like he was gonna put down the piano player?

https://youtu.be/65iwnI2hjAA?t=799
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 03:54:00 PM »
So Chinese laws are enforceable in the UK?  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 04:50:46 PM »
My response?

"You're not in China. Chinese laws don't apply here. If you want Chinese laws to apply, go back to China."

Of course, in Britain, you'd be immediately jailed for a hate crime.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 05:01:34 PM »
My response?

"You're not in China. Chinese laws don't apply here. If you want Chinese laws to apply, go back to China."

Of course, in Britain, you'd be immediately jailed for a hate crime.

Pretty much what the guy in the video said, and also pretty much the lady cop's reaction. It was apparently racist of him to call the flags they were holding  "Chinese communist flags".

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 07:36:48 PM »
I mean, it worked out for him, because now we all know the YouTube channel of some random British pianist, but the best response is probably  some version of: "No, I will not stop doing [thing I am allowed to do] and I don't care to discuss it with you. If you are uncomfortable you can leave." And then go back to doing your thing and decline to engage any further.

Less chance to get yelled at, that guy to loose his temper, and you to (in the US) have to shoot him that way.

But it's working out for this guy. I bet his channel is seeing record traffic.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 07:47:58 PM »
And in the most predictable outcome yet, the internet has ID'd them all, provided names, social media accounts,  and in one case employers.   Way to stay under the RADAR commies.

https://x.com/stillgray/status/1749634413082935546?s=20

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 08:11:51 PM »
And in the most predictable outcome yet, the internet has ID'd them all, provided names, social media accounts,  and in one case employers.   Way to stay under the RADAR commies.

https://x.com/stillgray/status/1749634413082935546?s=20

Fascinating. Not only are some of them apparently British or dual citizens, but at least some of them have a social media presence, yet are saying they can't be on youtube.  :rofl:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 02:54:54 PM »
It is becoming evident that the Chinese people were making their own video. Ironic that they didn't have a problem filming British citizens without permission, but they (the Chinese) didn't want anyone to film them.

It's also coming out that several of the Chinese are apparently CCP (Chinese Communist Party) functionaries of some sort. They are no trying to get the video taken down, with the result that Brendan (the British pianist) has now appeared on multiple talk shows and podcasts to discuss the incident, and the video has been copied and uploaded all over the Internet.

The Chinese aren't getting any sympathy, and that Transit Authority policewoman is being raked over the coals -- deservedly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 02:59:01 PM »
and that Transit Authority policewoman is being raked over the coals -- deservedly.

Absolutely. It's like the UK now has a special totalitarian division specifically to kibosh free speech (and thought). Also, what's the transit authority doing in a mall?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 04:40:00 PM »
"Also, what's the transit authority doing in a mall?"

Ensuring that people are transiting within the law, obviously!

Cheerio!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 04:50:05 PM »
Absolutely. It's like the UK now has a special totalitarian division specifically to kibosh free speech (and thought). Also, what's the transit authority doing in a mall?

Is train station.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Pancras_railway_station_piano

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 05:16:38 PM »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 08:52:36 PM »

I believe it isn't a mall -- I think it's an underground station.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2024, 09:44:09 PM »
"Mall" is a word that is properly used for many types of public and quasi-public spaces, particularly any pedestrian area or esplanade (but not allees - but who really wants to argue the French).  "Mall" in British English is not exclusive to a building full of merchants.
7-11 was a part time job.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2024, 07:57:26 AM »
So this was in the UK . . . but had I seen a bunch of Chicoms in a U.S. mall demanding they not be filmed by a musician at a mall piano, I probably would have whipped out my cell and begun filming them. Which would probably have been the reaction by a great many other bystanders.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2024, 08:43:24 AM »
Sorry, but it seems to me the civilized response should have been "Sorry, I won't take any more pictures" regardless of citizenship or chicomness or russcomness or Americomness or Islamness.

We speak so firmly about un-enumerated personal rights, yet...

(I know in the US if you're in a public place, you have no right to complain about picture-taking, but if a person doesn't want you to take pictures of him, that ought to be respected, "legalities" aside.  Don't know how that's covered in formerly great Britain.)

That's the way I see it.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 08:46:36 AM »
Sorry, but it seems to me the civilized response should have been "Sorry, I won't take any more pictures" regardless of citizenship or chicomness or russcomness or Americaness or Islamness.

We speak so firmly about personal rights, yet...

(I know in the US if you're in a public place, you have no right to complain about picture-taking, but if a person doesn't want you to take pictures of him, that ought to be respected, "legalities" aside.)

That's the way I see it.

Terry, 230RN

Except his cameraman wasn't taking their picture. They were in the background of his video.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2024, 08:53:20 AM »
^ "Except his cameraman wasn't taking their picture. They were in the background of his video. "

Basically immaterial.  I was going to footnote that I believe certain sects, such as the mentioned "Islamites" are pretty sticky about "graven images."  Also immaterial to this particular case, but also noteworthy in terms of the general civility involved.

In general, though, "buttheads head-butting" in a conflict of perceived rights.

If the photographees were smart, they would have  let it go and nobody would ever have noticed.

Go ahead, you know you want to.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 09:19:48 AM »
^^^ I gotta disagree

This is this guy's job.  He makes (or supplements) an income by making piano posting videos.

Since he does it in full compliance with the local laws on the subject, the complainers had no moral right to ask him to ceace his livelyhood because they were doing something in the back ground.  SInce several of the complainers are social media influencers themselves, they know that damn good and well.

Additionally, they were filming somthing for Chinese TV.  If someone had asked them to stop do you think they would have?  Or would they have busted out with filming permits and told that person to F off.

I'm not sure why the you think the "civilized" response was for the person not doing anything wrong to conform to the whims of others. If they didn't want to be videoed in a place where videoing is patently allowed, the "civilized" thing would be for them to remove themselves from that area.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 09:36:20 AM »
I could certainly come up with a scenario where the piano player or his camera person were the bad guy in all this, but to do so would require ignoring what happened in the video.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2024, 09:57:14 AM »
Placing yourself in the field of view of the camera filming a musician in a public area is VERY DIFFERENT than if someone were following you around and sticking a camera in your face.

And it doesn't matter if the person doing the complaining is a Chicom, Islamite, or some other sect - they DON'T have any right to walk up to you and impose THEIR supposed values on you.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2024, 12:31:21 PM »
Give them all a Winnie stuffed toy then take their pictures and post them everywhere.  Problem will never be heard from again once they return to the motherland.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2024, 12:42:33 PM »
Give them all a Winnie stuffed toy then ...
STOP TOUCHING HER!  YOU ARE NOT THE SAME AGE AS HER!