Author Topic: Stop Showering  (Read 891 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stop Showering
« on: April 28, 2024, 08:11:37 AM »
I guess this is the MSM topic of the week, because I've seen it pop up several times in my newsfeeds. It's anything from "daily showers are bad for your health" to "daily showers are destroying the Earth". With the solution being to only shower from a few times a week to once a month.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/daily-showers-could-be-harmful-skin-health-experts-claim

I can't imagine showering only once a month, even if I was just sitting around not doing anything all day. Though I do recall that when I was a little kid, the standard for kids seemed to be getting in the bathtub on Saturday night so you'd be clean for church on Sunday morning, unless you somehow got extra dirty during the week. Otherwise it was just washing up daily, as in hands and face. I'm thinking it was sometime during Junior High that I started taking daily morning showers. I'm sure it had something to do with girls.  :laugh:

Back when I was working, I almost always took a shower first thing in the morning just to wake up if nothing else, but also it seemed like the thing you do before you go into the office. Sometimes the shower was at the gym after my morning workout. On field days, like if I was out diving, sure, I'd skip the morning shower since it didn't make sense, but I sure took one as soon as I got back home, and on multi-day boat trips, always at least took a hose shower on the fantail when dive ops were done for the day, partly to be able to get a good nights sleep, hitting the rack clean.

I will say that I am currently at "old man stage", where depending on what I've been doing and/or the time of year, I might skip showering for a day or two, like in the dead of Winter when I'm inside all day and my only physical activity has been the daily yoga and maybe a short stint on the exercise bike or rower, and then I'll still grab a body wipe afterwards for a whore's shower. During Summer, I absolutely shower every day. It's hot, and even if I just have a few hours of farm work, there's no way I'm going to bed feeling dirty and sticky from all the sweating. In fact on a lot of Summer days if I'm doing farm stuff, I take a whore's shower before I sit down for lunch and then a regular shower when I'm done for the day.

Anyway, from reading, I think there is a case for maybe if circumstances allow, skipping daily showers for the health reasons, but screw that showering once a month to save the Earth. Save that crap for your hippie commune, you dirty commies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Stop Showering
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 08:16:52 AM »
This story stinks
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 08:19:23 AM »
My Mom's doctor was telling her that she should really only shower 3 times a week, otherwise she's just stripping the natural protection off her skin.

I can't imagine not showering almost every day. Like you, sometimes I'll skip a shower for a day or two, but generally I start my morning with a good sluicing.

If I've let my hair get long? I have to shower. I can't stand the feeling that my hair isn't clean. If I have short hair I may skip a shower.

But, if this is the left's new "YOU'RE KILLING THE WORLD!!!!!", well, then, die Mother Nature, die.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 08:57:03 AM »
"However, daily showers do not improve your health, could cause skin problems or other health issues — and, importantly, they waste a lot of water."

Isn't it the same water the dinosaurs drank and peed out?  Do some people not know that we filter and re-use it over and over ad infinitum?

I shower in the morning as part of my wake up routine, and again after work in the warmer months. In my former career, which included snow removal, I'd go a few days at a time without, but I was single and sitting in a recliner playing video games all day.

I have a few co-workers who don't seem to know what a shower is, what deodorant is, or even washing clothes. Fortunately, I don't work in close quarters with any of them.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 09:17:17 AM »
"I have a few co-workers who don't seem to know what a shower is, what deodorant is, or even washing clothes. Fortunately, I don't work in close quarters with any of them."

I've worked with people like that.

Absolutely grim.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 09:19:54 AM »
At some point, around 30 years of age, I found I had to wash my hair right before bed, or my head would feel hot on the pillow and I wouldn't be able to sleep. (Yes, like Pedro.)

I also shower every morning, unless it's one of those Saturdays where I'll be working around the house all day. I just feel more comfortable when I start the day clean. Besides, I don't want to be smelly when I'm at work, or anywhere else I'll be around people.

So that's at least two showers most days. I might take three or four showers on a summer day.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 09:22:46 AM »
(Yes, like Pedro.)

You know, now that you brought it up, you really do seem more like Pedro than Perd. I think a name/avatar change is in order.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2024, 09:24:01 AM »
You know, now that you brought it up, you really do seem more like Pedro than Perd. I think a name/avatar change is in order.  =D

Should we put it to a vote?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2024, 09:27:20 AM »

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2024, 10:04:48 AM »
Never in all my wildest dreams did I see this  coming.
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2024, 10:12:27 AM »
To be honest, I'm thinking more Paco that Pedro...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2024, 10:24:49 AM »
Look, Pedro, I don't know how they do things down in Juarez, but here in Idaho we have a little something called pride. Understand? Smashing in the face of a pinata that resembles Summer Wheatley is a disgrace to you, me, and the entire Gem State.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2024, 10:31:36 AM »
When I smell someone standing near me, turn around, and there's nobody there . . . I know it's time to shower.  :rofl:

Well, I'll admit, maybe I don't shower 7 days a week . . . but at least 6. Rarely as few as 5.

Less than 5 and I couldn't stand myself.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 10:44:42 AM »
Vote for Pedro.  I also shower daily since that is where I shave my head.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 12:49:24 PM »
I have way over active oil glands and I'm not going anywhere without my morning shower otherwise I'm a grease ball all day and after a quick shower before bed I sleep much better.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2024, 02:03:16 PM »
Let's not forget Pablo or Puck.

As I have gotten older and more sedentary I may skip a day or two in the shower but that is only if I am sticking at home. After decades of showering every day prior to work it is a hard habit to break. Usually if I am going anywhere, other than Walmart, I will shower prior to leaving the house. Walmart is not too concerning because after all, it is Walmart. ;)

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2024, 02:27:12 PM »
I have way over active oil glands and I'm not going anywhere without my morning shower otherwise I'm a grease ball all day and after a quick shower before bed I sleep much better.

I’m the same way. Sweat heavily even inside doing nothing so I shower daily. When I was in the shop it was pretty much a morning and evening shower situation. Ain’t hurt me yet.

In fact our company dress code states that you will shower and wear a fresh laundered uniform in good repair daily so it’s enforceable by write up.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2024, 02:57:09 PM »
As I have gotten older and more sedentary I may skip a day or two in the shower but that is only if I am sticking at home. After decades of showering every day prior to work it is a hard habit to break. Usually if I am going anywhere, other than Walmart, I will shower prior to leaving the house. Walmart is not too concerning because after all, it is Walmart. ;)

bob

Yeah, I'm the same. If I hit the city on a day I would otherwise skip showering, I take a shower.

I will say that during the covids I was pretty much showering every day. Not because of germs, but for the 6ish months that I lost my sense of smell, because I could never tell if I was stinky or not.  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2024, 03:20:22 PM »
Another reason I shower most mornings is because drenching my head with water is the only cure I've found for bed-head. It's the only thing that makes my hair mostly lay down and behave itself. (Unless I become a Dapper Dan man, or something.) It's also the best way to wash off shaving goop.

So evening and morning, I have to soak my head.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2024, 03:51:16 PM »
IMO, if you are showering often, use a milder soap.  I have found some soaps will dry skin more and make me itch. 

I just feel a lot better if I am clean.  If I need to do it with less water, then I can do that. 

There was a short period a couple years ago where the city I live in had an incident and did a boiled water notice for a few weeks.  I could clean and rinse with about 6 or 8 water bottles.  Surprised me a bit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2024, 04:02:03 PM »

What am I offered for my vote??
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2024, 05:22:22 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2024, 05:23:27 PM »
There was a short period a couple years ago where the city I live in had an incident and did a boiled water notice for a few weeks.  I could clean and rinse with about 6 or 8 water bottles.  Surprised me a bit.

What kind of incident? You can bathe in non-potable water.

As long as it isn't like, ya know, really, really non-potable.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2024, 05:28:53 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2024, 05:32:07 PM »
Get outta here, Ben! You're ruining everybody's lives!