Author Topic: The Doge dog has died  (Read 618 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
The Doge dog has died
« on: May 25, 2024, 01:17:07 AM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Doge dog has died
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 07:26:28 AM »
I saw that and my first thought was that 18 was a really good run. I can only hope that Steve would make it close to that. Of my dogs before Steve, Tara, a lab/GSD mix, made it to 13, and Romy, a lab, made it to 15.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 07:47:02 AM »
Sad. That was one very photogenic dog. But yeah, a very good run.

I think I've only had one dog, Ruger, who made it past 10 or so. I think she was around 6 months when I got her, so she would have been pushing 12, I think.

Nikky I think was around 9.

Mason was around 8.5. I really thought I was going to be the giant breed lifespan barrier with him. Then... lung cancer. He's been gone almost exactly 10 years (29 May).

Seren will be 8 in a month or two. I have hope with her, but she's got lymphoma (3 months after her last chemo treatment and she's still in remission!) and she's also showing her age with arthritis. The Galliprant and red light therapy I'm doing with her have made a word of difference in her mobility, but she's also a giant breed dog.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 09:52:28 AM »
Penny is 13; I think she'll make it to 15.  She is still in good health but obviously declining (arthritis but it's not bad yet, and I think I'm starting to see cataracts, and her hearing might be going)  She's a "Miniature Australian Shepherd" but she looks more like a huge Pomeranian than an Aussie.  She's a little over 30 pounds and the vet says she should be closer to 25 pounds.  She does have a herding instinct.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 01:41:48 PM »
Very sad.  Reminds me of all the four legged friends I've lost.  I still have the ashes of most of them.  My yellow lab waterfowl dog Inge has "Inge of Valhalla --A Champion to Me" engraved on her urn.  About ten-eleven years old when she died.

I still keep my favorite cat's ashes with me in my living room.  What a friend that kitty was.  He passed away resting under a chair in my dining room and I only realized it after a couple of hours of him not moving.  Approximately 15 yo, but I haven't checked that out for this post either.

I'm just an old softie.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 02:02:58 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 04:49:48 PM »
I have Ruger's, Nikky's and Mason's ashes on a shelf in the living room.

One day Seren will join them.

I've thought seriously about writing it into my will that all of us are to be cast into the Chesapeake Bay at sunset.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 06:49:35 PM »
I have Ruger's, Nikky's and Mason's ashes on a shelf in the living room.

One day Seren will join them.

I've thought seriously about writing it into my will that all of us are to be cast into the Chesapeake Bay at sunset.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it is to be hoped that Seren leaves before you do.   I assume you have contacts who would know if you passed away, and if you died before your pet, that would be rougher on the pet than the other way around.

I would love to have a pet, but the thought of me croaking and leaving the pet unattended before my body is found is too much for me. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 06:45:15 AM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but it is to be hoped that Seren leaves before you do.   I assume you have contacts who would know if you passed away, and if you died before your pet, that would be rougher on the pet than the other way around.

I would love to have a pet, but the thought of me croaking and leaving the pet unattended before my body is found is too much for me. 

Not taking it the wrong way at all, Terry.

That's played on my mind, as well, at times.

At this time it's not as much of a concern because of my job. Because of my clearances, if I'm (or anyone on the contract) unaccounted for for more than 4 hours during a work day it triggers an escalating series of contact attempts that would end with local police doing a welfare check and the key holder for my house (a neighbor) being contacted to gain entry to my home.

But yeah, when I retire? That's going to be a real concern if I continue to have companion animals.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 08:41:03 AM »
My neighbor, a young lass who just graduated from college a few weeks ago, bought $20 of Doge while she was under the influence.

It went crazy for a short window and that $20 became around $12,000.

I suggested that she liquidate it. She waited for a slightly higher bump. It became worth about $20!!!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2024, 11:15:46 AM »
"contact attempts that would end with local police doing a welfare check "

How will Seren react to that, and how will they react to Seren?  Will the neighbor be able to keep Seren calm or remove the dog?

I know dogs pretty well, and Seren might be feeling protective with you  incapacitated (or dead.)  Animals only seem dumb because they don't talk.

Not to overdo it, but that occurred to me, what with the current "reports" about LEOs shooting the dog.  Note the quotes.

(This thread branch might be of general interest anyhow.)

Terry

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2024, 04:09:20 PM »
If something were truly wrong with me or I were dead, she wouldn't act well.

They would likely (hopefully) call in local animal control and would take her to the pound until someone got in touch with my emergency contacts or read the note that I keep on my refrigerator regarding Seren.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2024, 07:54:10 AM »
Would it benefit the rest of us to see the edited contents of that note?  Me, I'm in a no-pets situation, but that doesn't affect my interest in pets.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2024, 09:26:19 AM »
It's just a note saying in the event of my incapacitation or death who is to be contacted about Seren along with addresses and phone numbers.

They have the same information at Seren's vet's office and at Seren's day care.

That person's phone number is also on the flip side of her ID tag.