Author Topic: What is going on with bologna lately?  (Read 1517 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: What is going on with bologna lately?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2024, 08:55:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZZbuOeNmw

Watched that a while back. They have tiny wieners where he's at.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 09:33:55 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2024, 09:21:46 AM »
You're NOT the only one who's thought that. Considering the volumes used, I'd expect the cumulative cost differential between sugar and HFCS to be considerable. (Google says HFCS is 10%-30% less expensive than sugar.)

Had a conversation about this at lunch yesterday.  Considering that Coke makes about 14 different types and varieties with and without sugar, I am surprised they don't have a cane sugar Coke variant and just charge more for it. 
The restaurant we went to had bottles of Mexican Coke available.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2024, 09:26:48 AM »

I have noticed the same thing with bacon- as if some other substance than grease was being deposited in the pan, making it sticky. I guess everything now has all sorts of fillers and *expletive deleted*it in it.

In general, it seems odd to me where we have come with regard to food versus chemicals in other areas.  In the chemical industry, people used to have the attitude that if something didn't kill you immediately, it was more or less safe.  Later, we learned that stuff like benzene can kill you later so you shouldn't wash your hands in it.  Safety with chemicals is taken seriously in most cases and the liability can be severe.  With foods these days, we seem to have gone the other way.  As long as a chemical isn't known to be dangerous, companies happily add it to foods for one reason or another and the FDA just rubber stamps it.  I am wondering if that is going to shift in the coming years.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2024, 08:37:59 PM »
And there's electrocuting your hotdogs
My mom had bought a round version of those things and it sucked. Every once in awhile one would explode

Yeah, nuking them, even at the short time I use can make them "pop".  They don't turn to "rubber" like K Frame said as I keep the times short as all I'm doing is heating them up hotter than the noodle dish will get them.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2024, 06:51:35 PM »
Here's the one we had.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/335311831693

"Fast Frank"  Thought it said Fart Frank at first with the way they did the font on the handle :rofl:
Almost temped to buy it to conduct "experiments" like lets really crank up the voltage.  >:D
Now where did I put that face shield? and I better make sure the fire extinguisher is fully charged.  :P
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi