Author Topic: SCOTUS rules on public sleeping in the Ninth Circuit  (Read 514 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
SCOTUS rules on public sleeping in the Ninth Circuit
« on: June 28, 2024, 11:07:34 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2024/06/28/nx-s1-4992010/supreme-court-homeless-punish-sleeping-encampments

Cities can now ban and punish sleeping and camping in public spaces.  The ruling only applies to the Western states in the Ninth Circuit.  I will be interested to see if the progressive cities in the Ninth now take any action on this.  The conservative cities certainly will, and I wonder if we will be seeing an influx of homeless to San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and other large progressive cities.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: SCOTUS rules on public sleeping in the Ninth Circuit
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 12:23:13 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2024/06/28/nx-s1-4992010/supreme-court-homeless-punish-sleeping-encampments

Cities can now ban and punish sleeping and camping in public spaces.  The ruling only applies to the Western states in the Ninth Circuit.  I will be interested to see if the progressive cities in the Ninth now take any action on this.  The conservative cities certainly will, and I wonder if we will be seeing an influx of homeless to San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and other large progressive cities.

I'm going to try to find it, but I think I remember hearing Portland filed a brief in support of Grants Pass position.    Even our liberal morons are realizing that the situation here is untenable.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 01:22:06 PM »
In a dissent, Justice Sotomayor said the decision focused only on the needs of cities but not the most vulnerable. She said sleep is a biological necessity, but this decision leaves a homeless person with “an impossible choice — either stay awake or be arrested.”

She should take them in, then.

I'm not sure if this is related to the Boise case from a (2 years?) ago, which I think also went to a circuit court, which ruled in favor of Boise cleaning up the "permanent" encampments.

One of the "keep the homeless" arguments in Boise was that they would have nowhere to go. Which was false, and I bet it's the same in a lot of cities. In Boise's case, there are a couple of homeless shelters that take in anyone and basically have no rules about drugs, alcohol, sleeping arrangements, etc. They are always at capacity.

The other place, which I donate to every year, is the Boise Rescue Mission, where there are strictly no drugs or alcohol (other than any prescriptions for weaning addicts off their stuff), and only married couples bunk together. The Rescue Mission has a very high rate of getting people off the streets and into jobs and homes. It always has space because people would rather do their meth than have a roof over their heads. I'm betting most cities have the same situation between the commie pinko shelters and the ones with rules.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 02:46:57 AM »
I'm going to try to find it, but I think I remember hearing Portland filed a brief in support of Grants Pass position.    Even our liberal morons are realizing that the situation here is untenable.

I think the ADA lawsuit backed them into a corner, and now it seems like the county has been shamed into not handing out free tents, so maybe they'll actually start to get a handle on the situation.

Maybe. We'll see.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 10:41:09 AM »
One of the local nonprofits actually supports the ruling because they expect homeless to now come to their shelters rather than be ticketed for being on the street, and they either genuinely want to help homeless people or at least they want more work for themselves.

The other one (the "D" one for lack of a better term) of course condemned the ruling with a confusing statement that tried to make sleeping on the street a righteous privilege or something.

The Mayor condemned the ruling also even though she doesn't have to because the ruling doesn't force her to ticket anyone, but she still made a statement condemning the fact that now she can(?). Guess she has to look good for her Lefty supporters. A good compromise position would be ticket campers as long as their was space in the shelters for them. Don't like the shelters? Then get out into some accommodation besides the street.

Of course the elephant in the homeless room is the housing crisis which is the everything crisis. To her credit the mayor wants to focus on improving housing options but for one thing she can't do it under current frameworks but nothing new there.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 11:33:57 AM »
There should have been some kind of compromise here. For example, allow encampments, but only on top of rainbow crosswalks.
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 11:47:56 AM »
There should have been some kind of compromise here. For example, allow encampments, but only on top of rainbow crosswalks.

But then they would have to leave the encampment to poop because pooping in the encampment would then be hate crime.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi