Author Topic: SCOTUS rules on Trump immunity  (Read 1529 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
SCOTUS rules on Trump immunity
« on: July 01, 2024, 11:03:09 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-sends-trump-immunity-143459717.html

The ruling was 6-3, strictly along ideological lines. The three liberal harpies, predictably, are outraged. They're all in favor of allowing police officers to have qualified immunity for just about anything, even up to and including murder, but NOT TRUMP!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: SCOTUS rules on Trump immunity
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 11:06:24 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2024/07/01/trump-wins-partial-victory-supreme-court-says-he-has-some-presidential-immunity-from-charges/

KEY FACTS
Trump’s federal criminal case for trying to overturn the 2020 election has been paused since December as the ex-president has asked for the charges against him to be thrown out, claiming to the Supreme Court he has “presidential immunity” that shields him from criminal charges based on actions he took in office.

The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that Trump and presidents more generally have “absolute immunity” from charges for acts that fall under their “core constitutional powers”—like appointing officials—and “presumptive immunity” for official acts taken while in office, but they’re not immune from acts that aren’t part of their official duties.

Justice Department prosecutors argued Trump’s immunity claims are “unfounded” and a president doesn’t have a “general right to violate” laws, arguing to the high court that the fact other ex-presidents haven’t been prosecuted before Trump “underscores the unprecedented nature of [Trump’s] alleged conduct.”

The ruling means that Trump is immune from being punished based on some of the conduct he’s been indicted for in his federal election case, such as using the Justice Department to push his false claims of election fraud and discussions he had with then-Vice President Mike Pence, in which he told Pence not to certify the election results.

A lower court still has to decide whether other acts were official or unofficial, however—like pressuring state officials to change results and speaking before the Jan. 6 riot—and Chief Justice John Roberts noted in the court’s ruling that “Trump asserts a far broader immunity than the limited one the Court recognizes.”

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 12:26:47 PM »
Some hysterical liberal tears:

https://twitchy.com/samj/2024/07/01/here-are-the-biggest-freak-outs-over-trump-immunity-case-n2397856

They sure have a thing for SEAL Team 6.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 02:44:26 PM »
The ruling means that Trump is immune from being punished based on some of the conduct he’s been indicted for in his federal election case, such as using the Justice Department to push his false claims of election fraud and discussions he had with then-Vice President Mike Pence, in which he told Pence not to certify the election results.

I respectfully point out that it has not been proven that Trump's claims of election fraud are false. In fact, there are far too many reliable reports of election misconduct from various parts of the country for any objective observer to believe that such claims are false. Unfortunately, by now any evidence has been destroyed so it can never be proven one way or the other. What's happening is that the liberal media invariably attach "false" to any mention of election fraud. They do it so consistently that you have to wonder why, if the claims are baseless, they devote so much energy to trying to dismiss them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2024, 03:33:52 PM »
This sums up the Left's reaction:

https://x.com/seanmdav/status/1807841899765514740
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2024, 03:41:17 PM »
Another ruling for them to either come up with a workaround for or just ignore because, you know, it goes against the will of the people.
And we all know when they say the people they really mean the party
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2024, 03:49:01 PM »
Just point out that without this, Trump could prosecute Obama for conspiracy to murder American citizens in Afghanistan.  That stuff swings both ways.  They just want to have their cake and eat it too. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2024, 03:53:22 PM »
Just point out that without this, Trump could prosecute Obama for conspiracy to murder American citizens in Afghanistan.  That stuff swings both ways.  They just want to have their cake and eat it too.

Won't work because in their world Obama shits marble and thus incapable of wrong doing. They'll call you a racist and do a victory dance and post how they defeated another extreme right winger
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2024, 04:10:28 PM »
I do find it interesting that the rule effectively says that Trump has the same immunity from prosecution that the people prosecuting him have.  I don't think many of them make that connection.

I don't think many of them understand the danger of making a habit of prosecuting former presidents or political rivals.  The peaceful turnover of power after an election happens for a reason.  If elected officials think they will be imprisoned or go broke dealing with the lawsuits after leaving office, they are going to find a way to stay in office or get so rich it doesn't matter.  There is a reason Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon with his army.  I guess some people can't help repeating past mistakes.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2024, 04:14:28 PM »
Won't work because in their world Obama shits marble and thus incapable of wrong doing. They'll call you a racist and do a victory dance and post how they defeated another extreme right winger
I don't really care about their feelings or their delusions.  Then again, those people wouldn't lower themselves to speak to you or me.   =)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2024, 04:15:51 PM »
I don't really care about their feelings or their delusions.  Then again, those people wouldn't lower themselves to speak to you or me.   =)

Screaming is a form of speaking
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2024, 09:51:55 PM »
the SC's job is to judge whether or not something is constitutional not whether or not it's right or wrong. What scare me the most with the more liberal judges is that they tend to focus on the latter and use their feelings as their guide. This is the type the left wants to pack the court with
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2024, 10:30:44 PM »
WTH?

Rob Reiner
@robreiner
The United States Supreme Court has just let Trump get away with shooting someone on 5th Avenue.

https://twitchy.com/amy/2024/07/01/rob-reiner-supreme-court-trump-5th-avenue-n2397876
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2024, 10:35:40 PM »
What the leftist morons (redundancy alert) miss is that Trump shooting someone one 5th Avenue, or sending SEAL Team 6 to assassinate a political rival, or commit treason, are all crimes for which he can be impeached, convicted and removed from office.  And THEN prosecuted for.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2024, 10:36:49 PM »
Besides, Trump won't do those things.  They would, so it's just a classic case of projection anyway.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2024, 10:40:05 PM »
The left: The Constitution is unconstitutional
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2024, 07:00:33 AM »
What the leftist morons (redundancy alert) miss is that Trump shooting someone one 5th Avenue, or sending SEAL Team 6 to assassinate a political rival, or commit treason, are all crimes for which he can be impeached, convicted and removed from office.  And THEN prosecuted for.

IANAL, but I don't think the ruling gave presidents immunity for anything like that.
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2024, 07:55:36 AM »
Sotomayor, the court's own self-described "wise Latina" asserted that under this ruling a POTUS could have Seal Team 6 assassinate a rival. WAS SHE ACTUALLY TRYING TO GIVE JOE BIDEN THE GREEN LIGHT TO TAKE OUT TRUMP?!?!

Also . . . note that many of the same people who've been denouncing Trump for subverting justice by criticizing Judge Merchan, Fani Willis, and others who are persecuting him are now condemning  SCOTUS with unusually vicious attacks . . . this is typical of the hypocrisy we routinely see from the left.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2024, 09:50:51 AM »
So far none of the screamers have made it to Thomas' concurring opinion.  Spoiler alert, it will make them scream.  With the help of a wink wink amicus brief he made a nice segue from checks on executive powers to "hey, how'd youse guys appoint Jack Smith anyway?"
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2024, 09:59:41 AM »
Enter The Babylon Bee

13 Things Trump Is Now Allowed To Do After Supreme Court Immunity Ruling
https://babylonbee.com/news/13-things-trump-is-now-allowed-to-do-after-supreme-court-immunity-ruling
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2024, 10:04:00 AM »
Not The Babylon Bee

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) announced Monday that she will soon file impeachment articles against at least one justice on the Supreme Court in the wake of their decision to grant partial immunity to former President Trump as he faces felony charges for his efforts to overturn the 2020 election results.

Ocasio-Cortez vows to file impeachment articles against Supreme Court justices
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4750034-ocasio-cortez-impeachment-articles-supreme-court-justices-trump-immunity/
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2024, 11:34:22 AM »
Sotomayor, the court's own self-described "wise Latina" asserted that under this ruling a POTUS could have Seal Team 6 assassinate a rival. WAS SHE ACTUALLY TRYING TO GIVE JOE BIDEN THE GREEN LIGHT TO TAKE OUT TRUMP?!?!

Also . . . note that many of the same people who've been denouncing Trump for subverting justice by criticizing Judge Merchan, Fani Willis, and others who are persecuting him are now condemning  SCOTUS with unusually vicious attacks . . . this is typical of the hypocrisy we routinely see from the left.

I think it was Barak O. who referred to her that way.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2024, 11:56:14 AM »
I believe that came from the horse's mouth.

https://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/05/sotomayor.speeches/
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2024, 02:53:14 PM »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain