Author Topic: Computer question  (Read 553 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Computer question
« on: July 04, 2024, 05:00:23 AM »
I picked up a used Toshiba Satellite notebook computer for playing around. The seller said the battery holds some charge, but the run time isn't very good on battery.

The power brick isn't Toshiba, it's an IBM power adapter and it's 16 volts. Toshibas are 19 volts. Could the lower voltage perhaps explain why the battery run time is less than optimal?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Computer question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 05:32:50 AM »
yes! Buy the PROPER brick online, they are cheap. I got mine for <$20 for my HP.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 06:25:26 AM »
I picked up a used Toshiba Satellite notebook computer for playing around. The seller said the battery holds some charge, but the run time isn't very good on battery.

The power brick isn't Toshiba, it's an IBM power adapter and it's 16 volts. Toshibas are 19 volts. Could the lower voltage perhaps explain why the battery run time is less than optimal?

15v and 19v were the more common voltages found with Toshibas
I used to do Toshiba warranty laptop repairs.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2024, 07:45:00 PM »

Could be.  Get a Toshiba adapter.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2024, 07:50:49 PM »
How old is it? Could just need a new battery. If it's one of the 15v Tos a 16v IBM adapter if the plug fits and has enough amperage may not be the problem. Anything over 3 years is suspect as far as batteries go.

Look on the bottom tag, it should state the power requirements for both voltage and amps and the date of manufacture is usually encoded in the S/N
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2024, 09:52:37 PM »
It's a 19-volt computer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2024, 10:24:25 PM »
It's a 19-volt computer.

Then 16v is a problem
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi