Author Topic: Good opinion article on the approach to USA's 250th...  (Read 724 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good opinion article on the approach to USA's 250th...
« on: July 04, 2024, 07:16:01 AM »
Actually quite a biting, and pessimistic, look...

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/americans-celebrated-our-founding-50-years-ago-now-even-too-divisive

I was 11 during the Bicentennial. Remember it well. But I suspect that the celebrations were a lot more muted than they would have been 10 years later.

Simply put, the 1970s sucked.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Good opinion article on the approach to USA's 250th...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2024, 07:32:39 AM »
I was 11 during the Bicentennial. Remember it well. But I suspect that the celebrations were a lot more muted than they would have been 10 years later.

Simply put, the 1970s sucked.

I was 12 and I remember it feeling like everyone was just going through the motions as the late 60s and 70s just seemed to have sucked the life out of the country. Vietnam, the protest, oil shock, inflation, American cars were garbage, doom and the gloom we're all gonna die environmentalism kicked in full force, nuclear annihilation hanging over our heads, and the end of Apollo program which started a now what period in space program. Even most movies were depressing.
Do I dare also say disco?  :rofl:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2024, 09:50:50 AM »
I graduated from high school in 1976. We had red white and blue tassels and were given ones with school colors separately. The country celebrated the bicentennial and almost everything had a RWB version. Every popular product had some limited edition.
Politically the country was depressed and the celebration was supposed to be a kind of reset.
Little did we know jimmy carter was the reset.
I finished college and bought my first house a few years later and 12.5% was best mortgage rate I could get. Only have a few payments left. 😜
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2024, 10:34:04 AM »
I spent the first part of the Bicentennial day on scullery duty in the mess hall on the 1st MARBDE side of Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station.  The last part of the day a buddy and I went to an America concert (the band of "A Horse With No Name" fame) at Aloha Stadium.  Other than that, it was just another day.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2024, 04:04:22 PM »
It's too bad the bicentennial of America's Independence was overshadowed by the more grand and epochal event of my birth, later that year.
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2024, 06:33:24 PM »
It's too bad the bicentennial of America's Independence was overshadowed by the more grand and epochal event of my birth, later that year.
I DO remember the storms, darkness, the rivers running red, hail, flies, locusts, and the smell of brimstone from later that year, all ill omens portending imminent doom . . .

Well, it could have been worse.

;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2024, 12:37:34 AM »
Back to the present:

It's been 3 hours of non-stop fireworks here. I don't know where anyone gets the money for 'em.
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2024, 12:47:39 AM »
Both former President Trump and what remains of President Biden are incredibly unpopular.

Oof.
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2024, 07:33:37 AM »
Coming out of the 1970s and into the early 1980s, it really seemed that the US was on a progressive decline and that the American Century was going to be petering out early.

I believe it was Time Magazine, or maybe Newsweek, had a long, involved article telling us that yes, that was the case. We as a nation were no longer exceptional, we were in a slow and irreversible decline, capitalism was dying and finally being shown for the house of cards that it was, and that we should, by necessity, cede to the Soviet Union and its philosophy of communism its rightful places as the new and unquestioned leader of the world.

Thank God Ronald Reagan was sitting in the wings just waiting to say "Hold my beer and watch this!"

I wish I had save a copy of that magazine, and I wish I knew who wrote the article. It would have been a lot of fun to find the author's take on what happened over the next decade, culminating with the collapse of the "ascendant" Soviet Union...

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the article written by that clown David Sirota in Salon magazine telling us what a glorious economic success Hugh Chavez had unleashed in Venezuela and how it was going to be the gold standard for national growth and existence and how much it had to teach the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 07:53:34 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2024, 11:19:47 AM »
My family spent a good chunk of the summer on a camping road trip. Big ol' Buick station wagon, all the roof windows, heading down to southern Florida, then back up the coast to places like St. Augustine, Williamsburg, Washington, etc...

Our trips almost always involved history, but I grew up in a town that had its bicentennial in 1974, so we pretty much were into it.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2024, 05:24:00 PM »
Where Mr. Hilton references the Tenth Amendment and the "usurpations" in the Declaration itself about the "unelected bureaucrats" (like the ATF) making "rules" they aren't allowed to make is worth remembering.  ;)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2024, 06:54:47 PM »
All I know is that in another 2 years my Ruger M77 in 220 swift will be a C&R due to age. :)

bob