Author Topic: vintage tools- again  (Read 532 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
vintage tools- again
« on: July 07, 2024, 07:10:38 PM »
today was hot and humid. I worked outside for as long as I could. I had been digging some post holes by hand and needed to clean and maintain my tools.
I have a wall inside the 1906 barn where I keep tools organized (sort of), meaning I drive a few nails and try to hang most of the stuff.
Racoons (probably) knocked a bunch of rolls of fence wire and some other stuff over and a groundhog (probably) dug around and made a general critter mess.
I decided to straighten stuff up and in the process, took a bunch of tools into the air cooled shop for maintenance. Some of these belonged to my grandfathers and are probably 100 years old.
the best today by far is a tile spade with forged or cast fittings. the hickory handle is split to a Y with D handle steel fittings. I cleaned it up, oiled the steel, lightly sanded with 220 grit and aplied 2 coats of BLO to the wood. after a couple minutes of file work, it is sharp and smooth as it was 100 years ago. There is not a sharp corner or edge anywhere but the blade.
I cleaned, sharpened, and oiled a double shovel and an old post hole auger (made in USA with cast parts and hickory handle, a couple other hoes, rakes and shovels.
sitting in an air-conditioned shop on a hot steamy day and looking at well maintained tools, the quality of workmanship is obvious.
the newer stuff is crap. The 100 year old stuff could still be good another 100 years from now.
I'm not sure the next owner will appreciate it. I bought a wheelbarrow full of some of this stuff for $10.
I got through about 1/3 of the tools on the wall. I still have picks and mattocks and hay forks and other stuff to do another day.

What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: vintage tools- again
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2024, 10:54:44 PM »
If you find a moment, please post some pictures.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 10:36:12 AM »
here is a pic if it works
I think it is interesting that the step ledge is not just rolled over steel but separate cast pieces riveted on.
Not in the pic but the back where the handle is usually exposed is closed and smooth with a welded in piece of steel.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 10:46:54 AM »
Very nice!

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2024, 12:48:40 PM »
Amazing how well quality comes through, even a century later.  Of course, we live in a time where probably the majority of people don't know a shovel has a sharp edge.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.