Author Topic: What the Hell is Going on With Water Flossers?  (Read 609 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
What the Hell is Going on With Water Flossers?
« on: July 08, 2024, 10:06:32 AM »
I started using a Waterpik probably around 2000, and my dentists and I agree that between it and my Sonicare, it has worked wonders for my dental health. Something seems to be happening with current Waterpik flossers regarding quality. From looking at my Amazon history, My first two lasted 8-9 years and cost $50ish. My previous one lasted 4 years and cost $65. My current one has lasted four months and cost $90.

This current one just started to turn on by itself (it woke me up a couple of nights ago), and now stays on until it's unplugged. Also, the water pressure in it and my last one as well, sucks. From reading non-bot reviews, this all seems to be an ongoing issue with the made in China brand names (Waterpik, Sonicare, etc.).

At this point, because I don't want to give up water flossing, I'm thinking that I might as well just buy a made in China knock off for $30 and just replace it every year or two when it craps out.

Interestingly, I had the same issue with my Sonicare toothbrushes. The first two lasted like 10 and 15 years each, then I bought a fancy one for ~$120 and it lasted a little over a year. Literally died a week after the warranty. My current Sonicare is their cheapest one (~$60) and it is actually holding up so far.

This must be a CCP plot to destroy American teeth and gums.  :laugh:

Do any of you have a current model of any of the water flossers that is working well and that has decent water pressure?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: What the Hell is Going on With Water Flossers?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 10:31:10 AM »
I need to get another water pick.  The one I little plastic hose on mine broke. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 11:17:37 AM »
Hmmm. I've had my waterpik for quite a few years and it's beginning to get a little wonky, with a (so far) small leak. I was thinking of replacing it, but as long as it keeps working at all, I think I'll just postpone that.

I have a Braun electric toothbrush, now made/owned by Oral B. It replaced a B&L Interplak (later acquired by Conair) which IMHO was the BEST electric toothbrush around. The brand disappeared for a while  =(  but the same basic design was resurrected recently by Conair as the OSCILL8.

Reading the reviews, this new OSCILL8 toothbrush is to the old INTERPLAK as a Trabant is to a Rolls.

I really hate the way so many products are being cheapened to the point where the damn things don't work any more, or don't last if they do.  :old:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 12:35:28 PM »
I forgot about Costco. I'm gonna get a new Waterpik there this week, then every time it breaks, I'll drop it back off at Costco for a new one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • But they're SUPPOSED to be "military-style."
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2024, 04:46:45 PM »
Bery simbul bery ezee...

The Product Obsolescence engineers are getting better at their craft.

I'm reminded of the old story about The Parson's Carriage.

It was so well designed that every single part wore out  at the exact same instant, leaving the Parson and his horse stranded.

<nyuck-nyuck-nyuck>

I tell that one every time one of those "My znunglefinjuff broke a day after the guarantee expired" style posts appear.

A modern znunglefinjuff --yes, they still make them:

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 06:43:25 PM by 230RN »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 08:44:27 AM »
I had a similar experience with WaterPik, and this model has been working well for me for 1.5 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RRXWRKL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 08:48:08 AM »
I had a similar experience with WaterPik, and this model has been working well for me for 1.5 years.

Thanks, Millcreek! It's so hard to tell what's really "five star" or not on Amazon reviews anymore without getting some known friend input. I'm going to Costco this morning, so depending on what they have on the shelf, I might get another Waterpik and use the liberal Costco return policy, or if I don't like what they have (they seem to like to sell the home +travel bundle, which I don't want), I will be ordering your recommendation.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 11:25:48 AM »
^^^When we were at my local Costco last week, the tabletop and travel bundle WaterPik was the only one on the shelves.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.