Author Topic: Walmart+  (Read 556 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Walmart+
« on: July 08, 2024, 05:03:41 PM »
A week ago I was at Walmart looking for something and I use the Walmart app on my phone to find it.  I *did not* sign up for Walmart+ when it popped up.  When I got home, I had 2 emails from Walmart: the first congratulating me for signing up for W+.  The second thanking me for upgrading my W+ somehow, which eliminated the 1 month free trial.  (and my credit card already showed a $105 charge for a W+ membership)  I called Walmart customer service and cancelled it, voicing my displeasure that they signed me up w/o my consent. 

A few days later I get an email from walmart complimenting me on my good taste and wanting me to finish purchasing something I'd been looking at.  I don't remember what it was, but something like vibrating butt plugs that I never would have even looked at by accident.  I changed my walmart.com password in case my account had been hacked, and deleted the walmart app from my prone.

I just got a welcome to W+ postcard in the mail today.  (nothing sinister about that, the initial snafu probably triggered it and it took a few days to get here)  It mentions a free Paramount+ membership with Walmart+.  *That* might actually be worth signing up for W+, except I'm disgusted by the whole thing and want nothing to do with it.

"Get off my lawn"  :old:
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Walmart+
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 05:10:37 PM »
Interesting. I have the WalMart app on my phone but have only used it a couple of times. No issues with a mystery W+ membership, though I haven't specifically be on the alert for it.

A quick Google-ification shows your situation isn't unique. Lots of references to mystery W+ charges. Self-checkout kiosks appear to be the common denominator, somehow inserting a discreet Opt-Out selection that gets missed.

Minor PITA situation, but sounds like you got all the hoops jumped through to effectively reset anything that might have been compromised.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2024, 05:22:25 PM »
I'm confused, is the disgust from Walmart, Walmart+, being signed up without your knowledge or the vibrating butt plugs you needed to complete the purchase on?

I hope your Walmart and K Frames Walmart/Woot browsing didn't somehow get connected.  :rofl:

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2024, 05:33:16 PM »
I'm confused, is the disgust from Walmart, Walmart+, being signed up without your knowledge or the vibrating butt plugs you needed to complete the purchase on?

I hope your Walmart and K Frames Walmart/Woot browsing didn't somehow get connected.  :rofl:

bob

That's a good point about K-Frame's woot misadventure. :rofl:  My problem was threefold; the signing up without my consent (which I could have done accidentally but I doubt it), the upgrading my account which waived the 1 month free trial, and then claiming I had been looking at something (anything) that I had obviously not.
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2024, 05:36:51 PM »

"Don;t forget to leave a review."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 11:24:38 PM »
It is so nice to not have to deal with "cxxp" like that, but that is because I don't have a "smart" phone.
Hhmm, maybe"smart" phones aren't so "smart".
  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”