Author Topic: A win for home distilling in the courts  (Read 584 times)

Pb

• friend
A win for home distilling in the courts
« on: July 11, 2024, 10:29:29 PM »
A court just held that congress has no power to ban home distilling...!   :cool:

I would be awesome if this win sticks.

https://reason.com/volokh/2024/07/11/court-holds-federal-ban-on-home-distilling-exceeds-congress-enumerated-powers/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: A win for home distilling in the courts
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2024, 10:48:05 PM »
Great. 

At the rate things are going, we're going to need to make our own.
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 11:24:50 PM »
I have been wanting to make my own scotch style whisky. Maybe now I'll be able to without risking my security clearance.
Formerly sumpnz

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 09:18:09 AM »
Because "Congress's authority under the taxing power is limited to requiring an individual to pay money into the Federal Treasury," id. at 574, it follows that any law that does not require one to pay money into the treasury is not a exercise of the taxing power.

Machine guns, anyone?   :lol:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 12:13:59 PM »
Because "Congress's authority under the taxing power is limited to requiring an individual to pay money into the Federal Treasury," id. at 574, it follows that any law that does not require one to pay money into the treasury is not a exercise of the taxing power.

Also the "recreational pharmaceutical" market.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2024, 09:28:40 AM »

MAYBE a path forward to remove the post '86 ban, but IANAL so I can't say for sure. I know I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the post '86 MG ban to be thrown out.

I don't see any effect on tax stamp requirements.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2024, 10:59:31 AM »
MAYBE a path forward to remove the post '86 ban, but IANAL so I can't say for sure. I know I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the post '86 MG ban to be thrown out.

I don't see any effect on tax stamp requirements.

Nixing the post-'86 ban would be a good start.  It would bring the price of giggle factories back down to something normies can actually afford. When an MP5 can be bought for $2k (or whatever the semi only versions go for these days) a lot more people will buy them, and them being "in common use" will become a viable argument.
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2024, 11:01:43 AM »
Getting rid of the 86 ban would be a huge step
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2024, 11:44:01 AM »
Sure it's unconstitutional, but every week of Bidenomics makes the $200 tax stamps less of a burden.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2024, 06:14:47 PM »
Sure it's unconstitutional, but every week of Bidenomics makes the $200 tax stamps less of a burden.
Only if your income is increasing almost as fast as prices.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2024, 11:29:38 AM »
Nixing the post-'86 ban would be a good start.  It would bring the price of giggle factories back down to something normies can actually afford. When an MP5 can be bought for $2k (or whatever the semi only versions go for these days) a lot more people will buy them, and them being "in common use" will become a viable argument.
I think semi auto HK MP5s are going for about $3.5k, but some "good" clones - Zenith supposedly sells "good" clones - are closer to the $2k mark. (Not having had either, I can't endorse either.) A  transferable pre-86 HKMP5 / HKMP5SD is supposedly around $30k - $60k, depending on whether it's all HK or a clone with a transferable pre-86 FA trigger pack.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2024, 12:05:05 PM »
If it were legal to register them, I’d get a full auto AR lower or two, maybe a 10/22 and some kind of decent sub gun. Just for fun.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2024, 12:12:57 PM »
If it were legal to register them, I’d get a full auto AR lower or two, maybe a 10/22 and some kind of decent sub gun. Just for fun.

A belt fed .22 would be soooooo much fun, and affordable to shoot.
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2024, 02:07:20 PM »

Which makes it clear that in the 30s the $200 tax was a de facto ban.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2024, 02:07:56 PM »
As for the alcohol, does it even taste good if you got permission first?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.