Author Topic: Navy Physical Fitness Standards  (Read 1044 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Navy Physical Fitness Standards
« on: July 25, 2024, 05:47:48 PM »
This seems real, and Jameson makes a good point that if these are the people the Navy is displaying to Business Insider as the face of the Navy, what must others look like? I mean, there's whole jelly rolls in there. I can't believe it's 20min to run 1.5 miles for people in their 20s. Me and the dog leisurely walk a mile every morning in around 20min.

https://youtu.be/ZmcN6zg5FVc
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Navy Physical Fitness Standards
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 06:30:26 PM »
Thing 2 is at Coast Guard Academy this week for their summer program for high schoolers (rising seniors only).  The have to do the PFE (physical fitness evaluation) while there.  3 parts to it.  2 minutes of cadence push-ups (must be done to the cadence, 2 seconds per pushup, so max of 60), 2 minutes of situps (as many as possible, 100 is a perfect score) and a 1.5 mile run.  Perfect score on the run for men is 8:30 or better (equivalent to a 5:40 mile).  Maximum time to get a score is 14:00 for men, 16:00 for women.

I'll find out Friday when they give them their phones back how well he did.  I'm expecting/hoping to hear 40+ push-ups, 85+ sit-ups and a sub-8:30 run.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 07:18:08 PM »
Yes, it could be that bad but you know what? Not my circus, not my monkeys. I left that behind 32 years ago. Thankfully they keep sending me a monthly check though. :)

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 07:45:44 PM »
The new Army test is pretty easy to pass, but pretty hard to max. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 08:00:51 PM »
This seems real, and Jameson makes a good point that if these are the people the Navy is displaying to Business Insider as the face of the Navy, what must others look like? I mean, there's whole jelly rolls in there. I can't believe it's 20min to run 1.5 miles for people in their 20s. Me and the dog leisurely walk a mile every morning in around 20min.

20 minutes to run 1.5 miles? That's not running, that's walking. We had to run one mile in 8 minutes to graduate from Army AIT Training in 1967, and that was in combat boots and field uniform, not gym shorts and running shoes.

I beat that, plus bettered the minimums on the other exercises, by enough to make PFC out of AIT. I got out of the base hospital after having had pneumonia the day before the final psysical fitness evaluation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2024, 08:07:16 PM »

Is it just me, or did Lt. Alcorn-Domin seem a lit on the , ah (ahem) "light" side? Probably to be expected of someone with a hyphenated last name.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 10:27:09 PM »

Yeah, a mile in 20 minutes is my typical walking speed if I'm not in a hurry, 15 minute if I walk a little faster.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2024, 11:45:54 PM »
Some of that, I can do with a cane...

I'm sort of wondering... Was that boot for doctors and nurses? Why did so many of the "recruits" have sew-ons...

Because, gee... boot for "professionals" is different.
Blog under construction

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2024, 05:20:09 AM »
Some of that, I can do with a cane...

I'm sort of wondering... Was that boot for doctors and nurses? Why did so many of the "recruits" have sew-ons...

Because, gee... boot for "professionals" is different.

That wasn't boot camp. That was the training class for the Sailors that will be boot camp instructors.  That's why they had sew ons and surface warfare badges and the ,like.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2024, 08:26:39 PM »
My idgaf ke3ps me from reading  regs since I retired so not totally current. In 2016 as a 41 year old I had to run the 1.5 in about 13 minutes and wasn't doing great out of shape and 25 pounds heavy. 73" and 220 lbs I was just barely making tape. Covid and other stuff the navy skipped an entire pt test cycle a couple of times and stopped kicking out disgusting fatties. The female body fat standards are absurd up to 33% allowed. Men not much better at 22. I had better body fat at 230 than at 220 thanks to a 19 inch neck and an idiotic way of computing body fat. In general every time I see a picture of army or navy I get the impression that standards are suggestions and we need a much sharper fight to weed out the turds.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2024, 08:42:47 PM »
Thing 2 scored 260 on the PFE at the summer program.  Only 39 push-ups because he messed up the cadence and they made him stop.  98 situps (100 is a perfect score, and frankly really hard to do).  He was disappointed in his 9:06 run for 1.5 miles (got him 90 points out of 100).  But  he had to pass so many other kids that the extra distance easily cost him 5 points (9-flat was the breakpoint for the next 5 points).  It was also hot and on an indoor track. Cooler weather outdoors and he'd easily be under 8:30.
Formerly sumpnz

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2024, 10:17:40 AM »
In terms of "passing" military physical fitness . . . this must be a relatively new thing. Otherwise there would have been a LOT of washouts back when they were drafting people to send over to Vietnam.

And during the WWII callup, my Dad told me a guy with a wooden leg passed the initial screening at the induction center, but the 1st Army doctor to see him noticed. And was pretty upset with the induction personnel before him.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2024, 11:30:31 AM »
In the Army at least the Physical Fitness Test, as a thing that you had to meet min. standards or Bad Things would happen, dates from the early 80's.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2024, 11:50:55 AM »
In terms of "passing" military physical fitness . . . this must be a relatively new thing. Otherwise there would have been a LOT of washouts back when they were drafting people to send over to Vietnam.

And during the WWII callup, my Dad told me a guy with a wooden leg passed the initial screening at the induction center, but the 1st Army doctor to see him noticed. And was pretty upset with the induction personnel before him.

People were generally much more fit in the 60's, and the 40's.  More people had to work physical jobs (farming especially) so rates of being disgusting fat bodies was substantially lower.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2024, 02:21:14 PM »

No, failure to meet the standard -- at least the first time -- didn't result in a washout. It resulted in repeating Basic or AIT for another cycle. NOBODY wanted to repeat Basic Training.

I suppose if a trainee were to fail the physical fitness test a second or third time they would be sent home, but I don't know of anyone that happened to.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2024, 08:24:41 AM »
I know the navy slipped in standards from my time starting in 1994 to present. I never saw the draftee high on everything navy but I feel like we were kind of at a high when I joined and slipped ever since. The clinton drawdown malaise was something, lack of advancement opportunity mostly. I rode the reverse side of that wave, made E-6 in five years, actually put it on the last day at my first command. I was there working until 2300 and standing duty with a side of fire party that day. Called out during my ceremony no less. Division had screwed up so I worked with them. Hilarious day. Fast forward a year or so and I was at my shore command, no more walking at least five miles a day on the carrier. By my PT records I gained 25lbs in 6 months. Ow. My first eval as a brand new first class 6 months in a brand new command was of course not memorable. The second one, I walked on water, ranked above a lot of 15 year careerists, I think #2 in the command. The third eval I dropped a category with the opening line, "Would be ranked much higher if not a two time PFA failure." Yeah, at the time physical tests were a huge deal and I ate that for 5 board cycles. In fact, the first clean board I would have seen I got out in May before the board convened. Once in the reserves I actively worked to not make E-7, if I wanted to be full time navy, I would have stayed. The second PFA I failed was not really run according to the regs, 91 degrees in mid April, should have been a no PT day unless acclimated for 12 weeks. One degree shy of black flag or no PT conditions. But I gotta own it, I was in better shape but not good enough. Going back to a ship, back on fire parties and most importantly away from the roach coach helped a lot.

Now in the navy at large I see an unwillingness to enforce standards. Almost have to bargain with the young ones to show up on time. Any attempt to correct will usually fire up a racism complaint, maybe gender, maybe who knows. Everything wearing brown is concerned about getting their own career ahead, not will their people keep the ship above sea level when the shooting starts.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2024, 08:55:07 PM »
I never was a PT monster. At one time, 58" chest, 34" waist, 20" neck... I could pick folks up and throw them over the nice little fence. But running sucked for me.

I think that they need two sets of standards. Pointy end and Support end... No reason why a drone pilot should leave his recliner, red bulls and twinkies for that workout stuff...
Blog under construction